7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

4 hours ago, BusOps said:

Yeah!! #8250 & #8251 both have cloth seats. Someone got smart.

Thank god!! I wasn't paying attention yesterday and almost fell out of my seat. That would have been embarrassing!! :$ I caught some women falling out of her seat, so I am not crazy, it's not just me experiencing this. It could also be the brakes are too sensitive and the over application is doing it.

The seats must be an experiment I hypothesis, as they stop at an even number, 50. They should have went with 20-30. 50 is too much if the experiment fails. I suppose they could always change the inserts as that doesn't seem that difficult. Now we need an experiment with upgraded AC!! xD

I was being really precautious yesterday in the rain because a slick floor and rain is a bad combo. I didn't really feel steady walking up the aisle. Hopefully the brakes tone down from use or they may have some issues this winter. The floors get slick with slush and I can only imagine what that implies. What I saw of the #7900's though was the heating system beats the AC and the floor actually melts, we shall see. I'd be scared to take an #8200 out in slick conditions, not on the road but in the bus. I think they only get 3 falls or that's what an operator told me. I'd definitely try to use the governor more and coast to my stops.

Was sweating on #8223 and wondering why. Then I felt the vents and discovered why, there was barely any air coming out of it, I'd say about 5-10 percent if I had to say how much.

• Upvote 1

Yikes, #8247 was on the #152 and #8248, #8250 and #8251 were all on belmont this morning. So we can check the seats our self. I'll be out there you can take that to the bank. And i thought Busops was giving us the 411 from the shops!! :P

Damn they all pulled in, that's no fair!! :(

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BusOps said:

Yeah!! #8250 & #8251 both have cloth seats. Someone got smart.

I predict a retrofit on 8200-8249 eventually..... it's a quick job, so it can be done in probably a few days on these 50 buses(pull the blue covers and replace with cloth).

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 1:22 AM, sw4400 said:

Well it's not anything unusual for me.... it'll be a retro feel of the days of Flyer D901A's(hard plastic seats). But seats can be modified.... even these, I'm sure..... when we first got the D40LF's(1000-Series), their seats were flimsy because of an all plastic molding. That was changed to a metal backing later and retrofit to 1000 and up. Get enough customer complaints and CTA will find a way to slap some seat cushions on them, I'm sure.... CTA, like any business, doesn't want to hear the complaints.... why do you think the 7000's seating arraignment is to be what it is??? Because of complaints about the 5000's bench-style seating.

Bet there were some complaints about those blue seats, like I originally thought would happen.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yikes, #8247 was on the #152 and #8248, #8250 and #8251 were all on belmont this morning. So we can check the seats our self. I'll be out there you can take that to the bank. And i thought Busops was giving us the 411 from the shops!! :P

Damn they all pulled in, that's no fair!! :(

Ha! I told you they were going to be in service soon! :P

How you like me now??? B|xD

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

I predict a retrofit on 8200-8249 eventually.

Bur whatever happened to the promised retrofit of InSight for AMSECO Model 6468?

Have to weigh BusOps' statements about the plastic inserts being more sanitary not needing extraction, or whatever, as opposed to going back to the fabric inserts for 8250 up

Unsubstantiated and bickering posts have been deleted. @sw4400 please calm down about the seats situation because I really did find that out of line. @BusHunter I had to edit your post because of your response about the seats. No more nonsense posts about the seats please! @BusOps can help us by explaining the seats situation. Carry on.

1 hour ago, garmon757 said:

Unsubstantiated and bickering posts have been deleted. @sw4400 please calm down about the seats situation because I really did find that out of line. @BusHunter I had to edit your post because of your response about the seats. No more nonsense posts about the seats please! @BusOps can help us by explaining the seats situation. Carry on.

Darn it I missed it. Kind of curious what was said about the situation. But understand rules must be followed.  If I have any more information about the seats I'll pass it on.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sw4400 said:

I predict a retrofit on 8200-8249 eventually..... it's a quick job, so it can be done in probably a few days on these 50 buses(pull the blue covers and replace with cloth).

Maybe. Maybe not. Only the CTA and Nova know for sure on that front. 

6 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Bet there were some complaints about those blue seats, like I originally thought would happen.

It's not very likely that complaints had to do with the change as the buses in both groups were likely already in production and completed with the timing of deliveries therefore leaving an extremely small window between the very first FG assigned new Novas being placed in service and seen by passengers and any complaints to make their way from passenger to CTA and on to Nova. There's still a bit of a bureaucratic hurdle to consider in this. Simply put, the buses were being completed and delivered too fast for complaints to be as much a part of the switch back. The experiment hypothesis seems to fit the timing of things better in this instance. @garmon757 I saw your warning from whatever argument transpired prior to my catching up on the latest and just want to assure you that I don't intend to throw fuel on that earlier fire. I'm just making a neutral observation on how it looks like this process works.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

@garmon757 I saw your warning from whatever argument transpired prior to my catching up on the latest and just want to assure you that I don't intend to throw fuel on that earlier fire. I'm just making a neutral observation on how it looks like this process works.

That's fine. Carry on.

10 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Bus #8218 on the #88 Higgins was broke down at Harlem earlier   First time i see one on Higgins

There was one on the #86 last night, I think it was one of the lower ones like #820? They still have #205 and #54A to put those on.

27 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

There was one on the #86 last night, I think it was one of the lower ones like #820? They still have #205 and #54A to put those on.

8220 was on the 54A yesterday morning around 9 a.m., so the #205 is all that's left.

I wasn't able to get too many shots of new buses last night. Seemed like they were all pulled in, but I did manage to get a shot of #8233. I don't know what's up with that bus but it seems like everytime I track it, i think this is 3 times now, the bus disappears off the tracker. The one time I did finally locate it in the picture i shot it was out of service. So at least we got a shot for the album.

cta 8233 on 56.PNG

I spent some time photographing the Irving park blue line project. I'll put up those pics in a few minutes.

As far as FG garage, i did walk it but strangely I didn't see one #8250 in the yard. Where oh where can they be? o.OxD In front of the transportation building now they store the new buses all in those first two rows there parallel to Elston. i checked all the numbers just saw #8243, #8241, #8247 and #8248 among the new ones.

I looked in the 3rd yard nothing too different. #6810 and #6716 are still there, probably dead and gone. #6847 is there but alot of what's been in the 3rd yard has come back like #6550 lately. I guess I'm going to need a roster or check maths tracker to eliminate buses if i have the time. I think I have 275 or 280 on the roster. Time for some trimming. #8232 is also in the 3rd yard.

41 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I wasn't able to get too many shots of new buses last night. Seemed like they were all pulled in, but I did manage to get a shot of #8233. I don't know what's up with that bus but it seems like everytime I track it, i think this is 3 times now, the bus disappears off the tracker. The one time I did finally locate it in the picture i shot it was out of service. So at least we got a shot for the album.

cta 8233 on 56.PNG

I was on 8233 on the #56 yesterday afternoon. A/C wasn't quite up to snuff as the other 8200s or 8100s I've been on. And I really have no issue with the seats on the 8200s. I was on 8233 for maybe 30 minutes and it wasn't much different, comfort-wise, as any other bus I've been on, and that includes the 8100s and 7900s (I haven't been on the 8000s, that's why I didn't mention those).