7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

7 hours ago, Busjack said:

One thing illustrated here is the cost of waiting, due to the price escalator in the contract. The Novas were originally $488K each. Taking the number in the press release ($14 million), these come to $560K/bus.

Hopefully they can do something with the A.C. on these buses.  Its terrible. I would expect better from thermoking. The operators I asked that was the A.C. any better in the drivers seat said it was crap and they used the other word that begins with an S.  I told them where the best a.c. is on the bus not that they'll benefit from it. I don't get why the 6400s a.c. is so good and these new buses are so poor. It has to be the interior design. 

• 6 months later...

Right. There is no major damage that effects operation. So the window damage will be fixed and in all likelihood the bus held on hold long enough for police to do needed investigations. Beyond that the bus will be back in service. We already saw similar when the TMC on which Blair Holt was murdered was placed back in service some months later and if I remember correctly turned out to survive long enough to be one of those few TMCs that survived long enough to be among those seeing their final CTA service time at 77th St Garage.

On 5/5/2018 at 7:41 PM, jajuan said:

Right. There is no major damage that effects operation. So the window damage will be fixed and in all likelihood the bus held on hold long enough for police to do needed investigations. Beyond that the bus will be back in service. We already saw similar when the TMC on which Blair Holt was murdered was placed back in service some months later and if I remember correctly turned out to survive long enough to be one of those few TMCs that survived long enough to be among those seeing their final CTA service time at 77th St Garage.

6713 was involved in a shooting. The bus is still in service at Forest Glen.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Johnny 5 said:

Wow! Will these new digital information boards be found on every bus fleet in the city?

They were announced as being on the J14, but obviously this is elsewhere. Looks neat.

I'm not sure of the context here, as 8011 would be a 74th bus, not FG as depicted, although @maths22 tracker shows it on 20 (C) Monday afternoon. Maybe it's on a trial.

28 minutes ago, Busjack said:

They were announced as being on the J14, but obviously this is elsewhere. Looks neat.

I'm not sure of the context here, as 8011 would be a 74th bus, not FG as depicted, although @maths22 tracker shows it on 20 (C) Monday afternoon. Maybe it's on a trial.

Mmm, interesting. So, when the testing is finished, then ithey will place them on all fleets, 700-series, 1000-series, 4000-series, 4300-series and rest of the 7900's (except 6400s) around next year or so?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-biz-cta-buses-digital-screens-20181024-story.html

"The new screens will be installed in the front and middle of a small number of CTA buses later this year for public testing, CTA President Dorval Carter announced Wednesday while speaking at the City Club of Chicago. The screens will include estimated arrival times for upcoming stops and transfer information, along with ads and public service announcements, such as reminders to riders to keep their bags off the seats.

The test screens are being installed at no cost to the CTA by four different vendors, CTA spokesman Brian Steele said. The CTA does not have a budget for the screens at this point, and it does not know how many buses will get the screens during the pilot period. Steele said the pilot program will allow the agency to get customer feedback on how well the screens work."

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-biz-cta-buses-digital-screens-20181024-story.html

"The new screens will be installed in the front and middle of a small number of CTA buses later this year for public testing, CTA President Dorval Carter announced Wednesday while speaking at the City Club of Chicago. The screens will include estimated arrival times for upcoming stops and transfer information, along with ads and public service announcements, such as reminders to riders to keep their bags off the seats.

The test screens are being installed at no cost to the CTA by four different vendors, CTA spokesman Brian Steele said. The CTA does not have a budget for the screens at this point, and it does not know how many buses will get the screens during the pilot period. Steele said the pilot program will allow the agency to get customer feedback on how well the screens work."

Slightly unrelated, it was funny that paying fare by cellphone was a "new innovation" when it's been available for almost as long as Ventra has been a thing.