7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

3 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Thats Just what Ive been saying all along!!!  FG will continue to operate more NF "hand me downs"  The 8325s wont go to the Glen!!!  Ive been associated with FG as far back as 1986 when my dad transferred there from the North Ave Garage. I know some of the history And one complaint that operators there have voiced is the fact that FG rarely gets any new buses. They would always say the "south side" or the "west side" always get the newer buses. History has shown that FG dosent get the attention it should be getting in terms of newer equipment.  

Revisionist history.  Tha Albinos, the 1983 Flyers, 5300 Series ( which got swapped for 6000 series), 6400 Series and the most recent 82xx of the 7900 series prove you wrong.  FG may not necessarily get the first batch of a new series, but new buses it gets as the 82xx proves.  Whenever and wherever new buses arrive, they don't stay new.  So please stop with the "woe is FG and the NW Side" narrative.  It's old and untrue.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

Thats Just what Ive been saying all along!!!  FG will continue to operate more NF "hand me downs"  The 8325s wont go to the Glen!!!  Ive been associated with FG as far back as 1986 when my dad transferred there from the North Ave Garage. I know some of the history And one complaint that operators there have voiced is the fact that FG rarely gets any new buses. They would always say the "south side" or the "west side" always get the newer buses. History has shown that FG dosent get the attention it should be getting in terms of newer equipment.  

8236, 8238, 8239, 8240, 8245 and a whole host of other new novas would disagree with your statement of not getting new equipment.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Thats Just what Ive been saying all along!!! 

@Johnny 5 saw you post that 3 times and thought it was true, but then realized:

6 hours ago, Johnny 5 said:

Hmm... Guess we just have to wait and see.

Yet, somehow you have him confirming something neither of you knew. Circular "reasoning" if I ever saw it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Revisionist history.  Tha Albinos, the 1983 Flyers, 5300 Series ( which got swapped for 6000 series), 6400 Series and the most recent 82xx of the 7900 series prove you wrong.  FG may not necessarily get the first batch of a new series, but new buses it gets as the 82xx proves.  Whenever and wherever new buses arrive, they don't stay new.  So please stop with the "woe is FG and the NW Side" narrative.  It's old and untrue.

Someones gonna end up with old equipment either way it goes so stop acting singled out caue 74th was all 6000's pretty recently along with archer being all NOVA when it could've gotten some new flyers if you wanna go there. Also the fact that outside of Addison, Belmont, Lawerence, Milawaukee, everything else is pretty light an gentle on equipment. (Notice Kedzie has the oldest artics but makes sense for them to be there since the only use they really get is weekday rush. Notice west siders arent whining about that)

• Upvote 2

If I was to take a guess as to where the 8325's are going this is where I would guess and my reasons why. My 1st guess would be 103rd while sending 25 new flyers (1034-58 25 buses total) to FG to rid of some 6400's. 103rd in all honesty could use them more than fg considering we have more rougher routes than FG and I also know they won't be used just for night cars. 2nd guess is 77th since historically they seem to always get new equipment 1st and would send 7901-02 and 05-25 over to 103rd. My 3rd guess is FG get the new Novas which would get rid of some of the old novas. Either way FG is getting more buses sent their way to get rid of those 6400's. 

1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

If I was to take a guess as to where the 8325's are going this is where I would guess and my reasons why. My 1st guess would be 103rd while sending 25 new flyers (1034-58 25 buses total) to FG to rid of some 6400's. 103rd in all honesty could use them more than fg considering we have more rougher routes than FG and I also know they won't be used just for night cars. 2nd guess is 77th since historically they seem to always get new equipment 1st and would send 7901-02 and 05-25 over to 103rd. My 3rd guess is FG get the new Novas which would get rid of some of the old novas. Either way FG is getting more buses sent their way to get rid of those 6400's. 

FG gained 1028-33 couple months ago and 1374-79 and the novas are still there but is FG really getting more flyers sent to them? And when cuz I really love these flyers over here at FG

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Now if only fg can keep any new buses once they get them. :P but really I was shocked 103rd got the older 7900s. I would think it would play out close to what mrcta85 said. Fg has always been the stepchild. The fact that today it's running 18 year old buses speaks volumes about it. 

On 1/3/2019 at 5:51 PM, Sam92 said:

Someones gonna end up with old equipment either way it goes so stop acting singled out caue 74th was all 6000's pretty recently along with archer being all NOVA when it could've gotten some new flyers if you wanna go there. Also the fact that outside of Addison, Belmont, Lawerence, Milawaukee, everything else is pretty light an gentle on equipment. (Notice Kedzie has the oldest artics but makes sense for them to be there since the only use they really get is weekday rush. Notice west siders arent whining about that)

Points well taken. Historically, Sam92 is right about lopsided equipment distribution. Secondly, I think that FG buses don't rack up the mileage as quickly as South Side units do, though I'd add Central and maybe Austin to the heavier routes. The South Side covers more territory, so the routes are longer. So are many of the garage deadheads. There's also a matter of real estate. Only two garages remain on the North Side, with no sites available for more, even if funding was available. (Maybe 901 W. Division could be repurposed, but for now, that would probably fall under the heading, pie-in-the-sky.) The upshot is that the NP and FG routes are concentrated mainly on the North Side, except for Western and Damen. Long north-south routes, like Halsted, Ashland, and Kimball-Homan once had split base service, but no longer do. 77th now covers Halsted solo, and 74th does the same with Ashland. 74th also has five long routes with Owl Service, more than any other barn. So to conclude, the South Side garages are probably more in need of new equipment than FG, because their units seem to receive more wear & tear, especially since the closure of Archer in 2010.

4 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

You could be right, '85. You've mentioned that every operator at your barn received training with the SmartBuses. So it would seem logical to me that a greater number of the Novas would be migrating to 103rd than just the five needed for Owl Service.

20 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

8236, 8238, 8239, 8240, 8245 and a whole host of other new novas would disagree with your statement of not getting new equipment.

Forest Glen has a around 250 buses assigned there. Only less than 100 are new Novas plus a large number of "hand me down" NFs from other garages!  CTA retiring old buses with more old buses!  Which is usually the standard norm for FG. Not much of an upgrade if you ask me!!!  Meanwhile,  7900s 8000s 8100s 8200s  assigned to, 77th, 103rd, 74th, Chicago ave!!!  Need I say more???

15 hours ago, Sam92 said:

No,  Ill stand firm with my statement because it is factual  If thats a problem for you, Oh well !!!  I cant speak for the west side riders and I wont pretend that I know!  But I know what Im talking about. Forest Glen was my garage and I was proud to work there. So please, Dont insult my intelligence!   

12 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

No,  Ill stand firm with my statement because it is factual  If thats a problem for you, Oh well !!!  I know what Im talking about  Forest Glen was my garage and I was proud to work there. So Dont insult my intelligence!   

And it appears that at that time, FG had only 6000s and 6400s, and sent its junk to Kedzie, because it didn't have preheaters. People downtown were sure complaining.

4 minutes ago, Busjack said:

And it appears that at that time, FG has only 6000s and 6400s, and sent its junk to Kedzie, because it didn't have preheaters.

Well, it appears all garages should have its share of "junk" equipment!   Im sure if the situations were reversed, I wouldnt be getting so much static Im recieving here!i! 

4 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

Well, it appears all garages should have its share of "junk" equipment!   Im sure if the situations were reversed, I wouldnt be getting so much static Im recieving here!i! 

In the partially accessible days, they did. But I don't recall you complaining about 69 barn, which had a long history of being the last to get new equipment, starting in 1972 and continuing until 1995, when it closed and was replaced by 74. 74 also got only 30 NFs until there was a later reshuffling with other garages.

Supposedly, FG has a better maintenance staff, but you didn't note if that was the case when you were there.

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

The situation has been reversed. That is the part you are in denial about.  Other posters and I have pointed out the history that you choose to ignore.  It's okay for other garages but not FG, even though to this point, the newest buses are at FG.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

On 1/3/2019 at 9:41 AM, Busjack said:

Don't believe a few bloggers' posts. They don't work for CTA, and thus basically have no means of knowing.

Idk if it's headed for retirement or what I just seen it rolling down the Dan Ryan just gotta wait and see and I also seen 1551 doing the 63rd route on state & 63rd so did FG send that bus back south 

On 1/3/2019 at 9:41 AM, Busjack said:

Don't believe a few bloggers' posts. They don't work for CTA, and thus basically have no means of knowing.

17 minutes ago, Shannon CVPI said:

Idk if it's headed for retirement or what I just seen it rolling down the Dan Ryan just gotta wait and see and I also seen 1551 doing the 63rd route on state & 63rd so did FG send that bus back south 

To clarify, this was not directed to you, but to someone who claimed to know where the 8325s were going. I definitely don't have a problem with what someone personally saw, nor the inferences made from those sightings.FG buses are not usually on the south side, although @andrethebusmansaid that one run is scheduled to go through South Shops a day.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

The situation has been reversed. That is the part you are in denial about.  Other posters and I have pointed out the history that you choose to ignore.  It's okay for other garages but not FG, even though to this point, the newest buses are at FG.

The other thing to consider is that the proximate cause of the current situation is that CTA announced in 2012 that the 100 artics plus 450 Novas would replace the the 484 6400s and 45 500s, except that, apparently due to failures on 66 and 79, the 100 artics are surplus. So, finally in the 2019 capital plan, CTA admitted it still has to replace 100 6400s. If FG took over the artics, there would be nothing to gripe about, but we know that isn't going to happen. But any ire should be taken out on the decision to maintain the surplus.

3 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The other thing to consider is that the proximate cause of the current situation is that CTA announced in 2012 that the 100 artics plus 450 Novas would replace the the 484 6400s and 45 500s, except that, apparently due to failures on 66 and 79, the 100 artics are surplus. So, finally in the 2019 capital plan, CTA admitted it still has to replace 100 6400s. If FG took over the artics, there would be nothing to gripe about, but we know that isn't going to happen. But any ire should be taken out on the decision to maintain the surplus.

I suppose NP could theoretically put artics on the 22 and 36 and move those 40' buses to FG.  It's not going to happen.  I suppose we will know in a week or so what will actually happen. 

Getting back to the topic at hand most likely the glen will get the last 25 because in theory it would make the most sense to a degree. The glen receives 25 8300's and ships off nothing as result of retiring 25 6400's to compensate for the gain. I'm not saying it will happen exactly as that but with 77th shipping off a few of its 7900's takes 103rd out of the game and the rest of the garages have there batch of 100 or so 7900's minus NP. So in theory giving the glen the last 25 makes the most sense. I also agree with Sams point on the entire Old equipment vs New equipment agenda that has been heatedly discussed over the past 6 to 8 years. Each side has valid points but at the end of the day each garage is responsible for maintaining its equipment properly regardless if its new or old, if the streets are torn up on some routes, or if passengers decide to act reckless and etc. You have to work with what you're given that's just how life is sometimes. We all can agree on this though,The CTA is slowly but surely making the necessary improvements for the entire city whether you're a northsider or a southsider,I'm not saying its a massive overhaul that everyone likes but things are improving to some degree. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Getting back to the topic at hand most likely the glen will get the last 25 because in theory it would make the most sense to a degree. The glen receives 25 8300's and ships off nothing as result of retiring 25 6400's to compensate for the gain. I'm not saying it will happen exactly as that but with 77th shipping off a few of its 7900's takes 103rd out of the game and the rest of the garages have there batch of 100 or so 7900's minus NP. So in theory giving the glen the last 25 makes the most sense. I also agree with Sams point on the entire Old equipment vs New equipment agenda that has been heatedly discussed over the past 6 to 8 years. Each side has valid points but at the end of the day each garage is responsible for maintaining its equipment properly regardless if its new or old, if the streets are torn up on some routes, or if passengers decide to act reckless and etc. You have to work with what you're given that's just how life is sometimes. We all can agree on this though,The CTA is slowly but surely making the necessary improvements for the entire city whether you're a northsider or a southsider,I'm not saying its a massive overhaul that everyone likes but things are improving to some degree. 

I agree, but gotta point out one little tweaked needed to your point. I think you meant all other garages have their batch of 100 or so 7900s minus NP and Kedzie.:)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

To clarify, this was not directed to you, but to someone who claimed to know where the 8325s were going. I definitely don't have a problem with what someone personally saw, nor the inferences made from those sightings.FG buses are not usually on the south side, although @andrethebusmansaid that one run is scheduled to go through South Shops a day.

Oh ok bro I seen alot of 8325's at SS I thinking they going to FG but I'll wait and see since idk myself