7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

28 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

I worked at FG from 1999-2005!  Say what you want! Im sticking by my facts!!!  

You working at FG doesn't mean you know anything about what was happening at the other garages.  You cant dbunk that YOUR garage started with 5300s and wound up with 6000s.  Neither can you deny YOUR garage got the last batch of 6400s NEW!  

8 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Can somebody quote exactly what is one one if them? Posted pics too far away to actually read.

You cant zoom it up. My camera takes high res pics. On the bottom it says  nov 8th 2018 and then the line below says nov 14th. It says on the top of the paper chicago cta. And in the middle is its fleet number along with another 4 digit number. Looks like a factory identity paper. Dont want to sent it to Septa by accident!!! That would be most embarrassing.

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

You cant zoom it up. My camera takes high res pics. On the bottom it says  nov 8th 2018 and then the line below says nov 14th. It says on the top of the paper chicago cta. And in the middle is its fleet number along with another 4 digit number. Looks like a factory identity paper. Dont want to sent it to Septa by accident!!! That would be most embarrassing.

If the four digit number is a 6000 or 7000 something, it would be the last 4 digits of the VIN. Order number would be an L followed by three numbers.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I remember that.  I also remember that this is a 7900 series BUS thread!

Speaking of 7900s the problems aren't much different than this old video. They buy 8325s with windows that dont open and we know novas aren't exactly the thermo kings of the transit world especially here in chi town. I've talked to operators out of fg and they just dont like these new buses ac. So if the ac is vulnerable why buy windows like this. It makes no sense. I can only think because nova bus offered them a deal if they bought buses using septa spec parts. I hope we are not going to be too shocked when we see the insides of these buses. I think long term the windows will be swapped out because you will have pandemonium when the bus overheats and there is no relief. Would be interesting to see if the 6400s window frame fits in a 8325. 

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

OK!  Lets go back in time to see how far back the problems with the Blue Line have stretched!!!!!  

Blue line always has had issues. Alot of it is old equipment. Even remember when the tie split causing the subway accident at lake milwaukee curve? Theres been alot of train faults. Thats my youtube channel the videos are all there. Its pretty chronicaled throughout the early 2000s. Something is going on for cta to bring 3200s over. 567 is getting too much negative feedback. Even myself I'm hearing alot of stories of people running to rideshare and the word that comes up is blue line. Not the red not the brown. You know how everyone says give the nw side the old equipment because service is lighter, where does the blue line fit into that. That's the 2nd busiest line!! Dont know who is the head equipment manager at CTA but there priorities are all screwed up. They need to mandate all those managers must ride the system because they act like or dont care about what's going on for the riding public. 

2 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

OK!  Lets go back in time to see how far back the problems with the Blue Line have stretched!!!!!  

46 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Blue line always has had issues...

Speaking of both:

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

... I also remember that this is a 7900 series BUS thread!

Besides being tired of  incessant beothching from the Northwest side, I'm tired of northwest siders not complying with the forum rules.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

. I can only think because nova bus offered them a deal if they bought buses using septa spec parts.

That may be  the only explanation, although it is tough to believe that a 25 bus order wasn't worth Nova's effort to deal with its vendors.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

I think long term the windows will be swapped out

That's fairly easy to do.

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Speaking of 7900s the problems aren't much different than this old video. They buy 8325s with windows that dont open and we know novas aren't exactly the thermo kings of the transit world especially here in chi town. I've talked to operators out of fg and they just dont like these new buses ac. So if the ac is vulnerable why buy windows like this. It makes no sense. I can only think because nova bus offered them a deal if they bought buses using septa spec parts. I hope we are not going to be too shocked when we see the insides of these buses. I think long term the windows will be swapped out because you will have pandemonium when the bus overheats and there is no relief. Would be interesting to see if the 6400s window frame fits in a 8325. 

I think swapping windows won't be a problem for CTA if need be. 

17 hours ago, BusHunter said:

So it doesnt have the complete vin. Interesting 

Interestingly, both NFIL and Gillig in their internal documents only use the last five digits of the VIN to keep track of production.  Rest is for government use. 

So what could you really do with the VIN of a city bus that would be "nefarious"? A coach,  maybe, but a transit bus? Please!

That said, anybody copy down one of the numbers?

4 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Interestingly, both NFIL and Gillig in their internal documents only use the last five digits of the VIN to keep track of production.  Rest is for government use. 

So what could you really do with the VIN of a city bus that would be "nefarious"? A coach,  maybe, but a transit bus? Please!

That said, anybody copy down one of the numbers?

What your looking for is a 5 digit number cause I only see a 4 digit number. Like I said alot of those have been removed. The ones I shot were like the only ones there. I probably need to see one up close and personal. 

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

What your looking for is a 5 digit number cause I only see a 4 digit number. Like I said alot of those have been removed. The ones I shot were like the only ones there. I probably need to see one up close and personal. 

Novabus would likely be four digits since it is considered a "small" builder. So the last 8 in VIN  are in format G9776790, fifth from last is always a 7 so probably omitted in internal use. Highest known numbers currently in 6800's.

Those sheets are order details for each bus. For example 8337 has:

LB58-13

3928  8337

?-Nov-2018 14-Nov-2018

LB58 is the Nova Bus order number, -13 is the unit number within that order. 3928 (or what looks like it) is an internal Plattsburgh factory work number, 8337 is the CTA road number. The dates are related to the production schedule. No serial number (VIN) is present.

• Upvote 1