7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

I drove pass 77th again yesterday to look at the new Novas 7904 and 7920 were still on the fence at the time and I noticed they both have fare boxes installed now I remember someone saying they didn't have any in them the last time. But it looks like that's changed now. I wonder how many new buses are here now?

Well, I guess that 77th gets the new equipment too. They took all of FG's New Flyers, got pretty much all rehabbed and kept them for their service while sending their Novas up to replace them. tsk tsk....

Hard to tell yet, as the two sightings were on two short routes (by the time the 52A was noted, it was going only from 115th to 79th).

But if this starts a trend, it wouldn't be anything new, except.... (see here)

Hmm, did you see #7904 and #7920 on the fence? If not maybe those are ready for service.

Those were the buses I was looking for actually but they wernt on the fence I think those buses are ready to go into revenue service now cause I saw yesterday that they had fare boxes installed.

Of course, a bus ride's never interesting until the occasional rambling man shows up.

• Upvote 1

Damn they moved the rear number decals around. Look at my picture from the #65 and compare it with yours. They moved the side number decal too.

post-304-0-04452200-1403666325_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

...There isn't an Al Piemonte Nova dealership...

I laughed out loud when I read this. Funniest thing I saw all day.

True, but companies like Gillig and Eldorado somehow always seem to get excluded from bidding. What kind of specs do CTA require that seemingly puts them out of the picture even though both manufacturers are owned and based in the U.S?

Gillig and Eldorado don't seem to make the cut in major cities like New York, LA, or San Francisco, either. My guess is they are seen as catering to suburban and smaller urban TAs.

I wonder if CTA will salvage useful parts from retired Novas such as windows, mirrors, stanchion bars, wheels, etc... as a possible cost saving measure to fix the new Nova fleet once theyre broken in.

I wonder if CTA will salvage useful parts from retired Novas such as windows, mirrors, stanchion bars, wheels, etc... as a possible cost saving measure to fix the new Nova fleet once theyre broken in.

No doubt... the Nova 6400's are near identical to the Nova 7900's. I can make book that the New Flyer 5800's had parts stripped and put onto the New Flyer 1000's.

I'm guessing moving the bus # away from the rear window is gonna be standard for future deliveries.

I actually like what they did with the side panel numbers. It makes them more flush with the other series side number placements. I didn't really like how they were basically on the edge of the sides on 7900 in the beginning.

Taking it off the window makes sense too... the window should be clear, and probably requires a special decal to stay on there with all the condensation and such windows get. There isn't any other place to put a rear number except above the engine cooling unit.

I tend to doubt it. Among other things, the window arrangement is not the same.

No doubt... the Nova 6400's are near identical to the Nova 7900's. I can make book that the New Flyer 5800's had parts stripped and put onto the New Flyer 1000's.

Sure did and for example on bus #1833 I guess the original door was probably damaged so they used half of a 5800 series door to replace for the original broken door.