7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

I doubt that the vast majority of riders is at all concerned about the age of the buses. Even with the most elderly equipment in the system, the operators and technicians at FG still manage to provide a safe, reliable ride from Point A to Point B. I think that's all that matters.

Seems to me that Artthouwill, Sam92, and Mr.cta85 have all offered convincing reasons why things are as they are. Incidentally, I'm a North Sider and a onetime CTA bus pilot: 1969-76, FG and NP.

BusHunter and CTA 5750, I understand your feelings, too, but like I said, I don't think that most riders really care.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sam92 said:

We have been in your shoes and that's what you refuse to get

Yeah well you need to step in them longer 74th and 6000s went away. This is still happening up north been happening for years. Ever since hubetman and consolidation things have changed. I'm sorry you cant see that. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah well you need to step in them longer 74th and 6000s went away. This is still happening up north been happening for years. Ever since hubetman and consolidation things have changed. I'm sorry you cant see that. 

Artics would be the best option here, on routes 56, 76, 77, 80, and 81. It would reduce FG's burden and it can be equalized with the routes 53, 54, 57, 73, 96, 155, and 201 moving to FG. So far i'm not convinced that the Dwell time problem is a thing. The 12, 22, 26, and 151 are local for a long way and they are using artics fine. I think the problem is to many buses on the route which can easily be solved.

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

In that same period FG had newer Nova's while 74th had all junk so your statements still out of whack. But not gonna keep arguing with the blind. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

So far i'm not convinced that the Dwell time problem is a thing. The 12, 22, 26, and 151 are local for a long way and they are using artics fine. I think the problem is to many buses on the route which can easily be solved.

The 12 usually uses artics during midday on occasion & primarily on the weekends when demand isn't as heavy. The 26 isn't entirely artic and the 22 and 151 run so frequently because its necessary. There is a reason the 156 uses 20+ artics during rush hour.

Perception is everything. Back in 1982 when I was living in New York, the newest buses were brand-new RTS's with hard plastic seats. One day instead we got an elderly 1964 fishbowl that had upholstered seats as it had been a Staten Island Express bus, but had now been degraded to an unassigned "shop spare". Now most people by then in New York had never seen a bus with upholstered seats, and two behind me were saying how nice it was to get a new bus with such nice seats. Most people have no concept as to how old a bus they are getting on is. A more comfortable but much older bus is seen as an improvement.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

In that same period FG had newer Nova's while 74th had all junk so your statements still out of whack. But not gonna keep arguing with the blind. 

Just to make a point here(and the hopes we can move on and not continue to post stuff that caused the locking prior), I do have to agree with @Sam92. There was a time FG had 6709-6883 and 74th ran 6197-6328 only. So yeah, 74th did at one time had the oldest buses only, as the 4400-Series TMC's and 5300-Series Flxibles were all retired as this was during the New Flyer delivery time to A(prior to it closing), C, NP, 77th and 103rd. So while we didn't have the newest of the new then(as FG had no New Flyers then), we had a pretty modern fleet with Novas that were only 4-7 years old as the New Flyers began delivery in 2006-2009.

Now we have the oldest in what is left of the 6400's(17-19 years of age) and 1000's(10-13 years of age). But we also have a portion of the 7900-Series Novas(3 years old) plus six of the 8325-Series Novas(under a year old). It's not that bad of a spread here.

We only lost 8200-8235 for the testing because they have the blue seats the CTA was using to determine if they should have hard blue plastic seats or stay with the cloth ones. We have 8236-8324 still yet.

For a bit of audible evidence on that.... here's 6328 from back in 2008 when 74th was all Flxibles.

Keep drinking that kool aid guys. Fg has the oldest buses now, they had the oldest buses before and there going to have the oldest buses for the foreseeable future. I cant help it if you dont see my point. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink it. Like i say it doesnt affect me I dont use it anymore and my interests have changed. 

17 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Keep drinking that kool aid guys. Fg has the oldest buses now, they had the oldest buses before and there going to have the oldest buses for the foreseeable future. I cant help it if you dont see my point. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink it. Like i say it doesnt affect me I dont use it anymore and my interests have changed. 

Soooo they don't have 7900s? Yes or no? Cause I see they do which IS new equipment

On 2/28/2019 at 8:30 PM, artthouwill said:

Last time I checked, the South Side is much bigger  than the Northwest Side.  The north side equivalent would include Evanston and Wilmette.  Remember, the South Side has THREE garages.  Two of those three have routes that serve the NORTH side of the city.  Of the two West Side garages, only C has Novas and it has routes serving the North Side.

You are walking a very fine line with your insinuations.   Be careful.

Be careful??? LMAO!!!  Im so eager  to know exactly what you mean by that!  I think you’d better be careful!  LMAO!!!   No “insinuations”  if that what you call it!  I’m just expressing my thoughts and opinion. Let me speak my peace !  We are allowed to speak our minds on here. So let me speak mine!  If that’s an issue for you then maybe you should stop your whining and not comment on my posts!!! Thank you!  

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

Be careful??? LMAO!!!  Im so eager  to know exactly what you mean by that!  I think you’d better be careful!  LMAO!!!   No “insinuations”  if that what you call it!  I’m just expressing my thoughts and opinion. Let me speak my peace !  We are allowed to speak our minds on here. So let me speak mine!  If that’s an issue for you then maybe you should stop your whining and not comment on my posts!!! Thank you!  

I'm not whining about anything.  YOU are!  FG has 89 new Novas and you're still not happy.  Not only are you not happy about FG having 89 new Novas, YOU are constantly whining about what's on the South and West Sides.  You can't say this is political because Rahm isn't running for reelection and this move happened just before election day.   Without directly saying it, you are expressing your opinion, feelings, that CTA (by extension the Mayor's Office) caters to the predominately Black residents of the South and West Sides for political votes.  Your posts concerning the 5000s further prove that point.

I've never disagreed with you that 8200 - 8349 ALL should be at FG and CTA should be making a concerted effort to get as many 6400s off the street as it can.  But I'm tired of reminding you that during the '70s, '80s, '90s, and the 6000s at 74th in the 2000s, it wasSouth Side garages getting the shaft.  Every garage has some old equipment sometimes.  Even NP, which seemingly has the best equipment,  was the last garage to retire the MAN Americanas and the 7000 and 7100 and 7300 series MAN artics. They were pretty much the last to retire the 4400s.  

So please relax!  The 6400s will eventually be gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Soooo they don't have 7900s? Yes or no? Cause I see they do which IS new equipment

Yes but why is it the smallest fleet of new equipment. And why is it being stolen? The seat test is over why not send the buses back? Because they dont intend too. Like I said before 89 buses is a drop in the bucket. It's not even half the garage. This is fair when you have the oldest and 2nd oldest buses. 

11 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yes but why is it the smallest fleet of new equipment. And why is it being stolen? The seat test is over why not send the buses back? Because they dont intend too. Like I said before 89 buses is a drop in the bucket. It's not even half the garage. This is fair when you have the oldest and 2nd oldest buses. 

Ok? It's not half even the garage but we went from all junk to the junk only coming out on rush hour which is something you yourself said makes sense (applying your logic of purple shouldn't have 5000's if it's mainly rush hour service). FG has the same type of deployment according to other posts and sightings in the yard. To say SS and west is getting special treatment is BS cause you're mad a garage that dealt with mostly the first new flyers gets a small group of 18 buses out of the group. Just be satisfied that FG is finally not all junk cause people were pretty calm until the 8325's came up now it's another fight over 25 buses. Pathetic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Chicago is keeping there hard seaters. They have the newest 1000's and they only use them when they have to. 74th on the other hand splits evenly except for the 9(100% nova), Which can be converted to artics form 103rd pretty easily. so they may return their hard seaters. FG may get some 2000's from Chicago and they are pretty new from 2009 I Believe.

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

To get back on topic a bit...

Anyone know what happened to 7900 and 7901? I understand that 7900 is some sort of "Training Bus", but what about 7901? I haven't seen it on the tracker and I check pretty much daily.

12797978784_eaccdbe1f6_o.jpg?2014

image-3.jpg?2014

7901 last time I saw that was was on the fence of 77th garage. Probably still there but I don't know what's wrong with it.

3 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

Chicago is keeping there hard seaters. They have the newest 1000's and they only use them when they have to. 74th on the other hand splits evenly except for the 9(100% nova), Which can be converted to artics form 103rd pretty easily. so they may return their hard seaters. FG may get some 2000's from Chicago and they are pretty new from 2009 I Believe.

I was thinking the same thing about FG getting those 2000's from Chicago eventually ????. I also have a feeling FG will eventually be all flyers same way 74th was all 6000's. 

On 3/2/2019 at 2:56 AM, artthouwill said:

I'm not whining about anything.  YOU are!  FG has 89 new Novas and you're still not happy.  Not only are you not happy about FG having 89 new Novas, YOU are constantly whining about what's on the South and West Sides.  You can't say this is political because Rahm isn't running for reelection and this move happened just before election day.   Without directly saying it, you are expressing your opinion, feelings, that CTA (by extension the Mayor's Office) caters to the predominately Black residents of the South and West Sides for political votes.  Your posts concerning the 5000s further prove that point.

I've never disagreed with you that 8200 - 8349 ALL should be at FG and CTA should be making a concerted effort to get as many 6400s off the street as it can.  But I'm tired of reminding you that during the '70s, '80s, '90s, and the 6000s at 74th in the 2000s, it wasSouth Side garages getting the shaft.  Every garage has some old equipment sometimes.  Even NP, which seemingly has the best equipment,  was the last garage to retire the MAN Americanas and the 7000 and 7100 and 7300 series MAN artics. They were pretty much the last to retire the 4400s.  

So please relax!  The 6400s will eventually be gone.

Hold on a second!!!  You came out swinging at me! If your going to speak up about my comments. Then you need to ready for a response of my own . So you relax and let me speak my opinions. Don’t need to read another comment from you!  Thx!

5 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Hold on a second!!!  You came out swinging at me! If your going to speak up about my comments. Then you need to ready for a response of my own . So you relax and let me speak my opinions. Don’t need to read another comment from you!  Thx!

Where did I swing at you?  I didn't.   No insults, name calling, personal shots. I ve respected your opinions which I ve stated which ones I agreed and disagreed.  Bottom line is CTA will do as they please and our opinions don't matter.  As long as I have decent bus service  in my neighborhood, I won't complain about old buses serving my neighborhood.  Last thing is when you speak, whether verbal or written, you should expect a response to your statement.  If you want your opinions respected, respect others.  Disagreement is not swinging at you.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Just stop calling realistic responses to yours "flase hot air" or personal attacks when they don't agree with yours if youre gonna take a jab or two yourself ??? it's still been looking childish over all

• Upvote 3

Theres nothing we can do about it anyway cta's going to do what they want. Should they have artics on the 77 yes. Should fg have newer buses yes

It's the way they do stuff that is disturbing. If 103rd needs the shields it's ok but take from all the 7900 garages not just one garage. Chicago has so many novas basically that's all they run. What bothers me is both 74th and chicago have 33 percent more novas than FG but fg keeps the 6400s. That's disturbing to me. Me myself I'm just debating. No swinging here. 

23 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Theres nothing we can do about it anyway cta's going to do what they want. Should they have artics on the 77 yes. Should fg have newer buses yes

It's the way they do stuff that is disturbing. If 103rd needs the shields it's ok but take from all the 7900 garages not just one garage. Chicago has so many novas basically that's all they run. What bothers me is both 74th and chicago have 33 percent more novas than FG but fg keeps the 6400s. That's disturbing to me. Me myself I'm just debating. No swinging here. 

I think what stopped 74th from keeping old Nova's is that even the light routes are interlined with a heavy route