7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Yea but only 7 of them CLEARLY Forest Glen didn’t want the other 18 of them so they sent them to 103rd for way better buses.....FLYERS I’ll be surprised if FG doesn’t get rid of the 7 8325’s they have left  since K has 8342 chances are medium for FG to send 8343-8349 to K so they can pair up with 8342

Im sure the 8325s will not be at FG for long! They will be sent to K,103 or C. That seems to be the practice! FG will end up with more NFs from other garages  

53 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

Im sure the 8325s will not be at FG for long! They will be sent to K,103 or C. That seems to be the practice! FG will end up with more NFs from other garages  

Exactly since FG released 18 of them to 103rd expect FG to release the last 7 my guess K 103rd or C in exchange for more flyers and then eventually FG will be Flyers and 8200’s 8300’s Novas 

3 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Which as a well.taken care of and reliable model is better than the former arrangement

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Yes, rehabilitated buses that make up the backbone of the CTA fleet, the premier workhorse that every garage has, and that's a bad thing? Methinks you only want FG to be only buses numbered 8200-8349 ?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yes, rehabilitated buses that make up the backbone of the CTA fleet, the premier workhorse that every garage has, and that's a bad thing? Methinks you only want FG to be only buses numbered 8200-8349 ?

I agree; what a ridiculous argument!  ?

There's literally 1,000+ D40LFs in the CTA system right now.  Whether people like it or not they make the MAJORITY of the CTA fleet.

• Upvote 2

I've been saying it for years as long as the buses are maintained properly what is your point about bringing up seven buses possibly getting moved, FG has always maintained there aging fleets well over the last 15 years or so and whether or not certain drivers don't like it along with certain residents of the far northwest side don't like it, if you want newer novas so bad how about you get on the phone with the CTA higher brass and ask them about it but if not just give it a rest. Buses age fast especially on poorly maintained infrastructure that currently exists in Chicago. The newer equipment that you desperately crave will soon end up like the rest of the current fleet in a year or so. Its more about principal and equality to you than anything else when it comes to the northwest side getting new equipment. However, the current fleet that FG has seems to be doing just fine. Now what the future may hold is unknown but please give it a rest,we get it but there's nothing any of us can do to fix this problem that has existed for decades now.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I've been saying it for years as long as the buses are maintained properly what is your point about bringing up seven buses possibly getting moved, FG has always maintained there aging fleets well over the last 15 years or so and whether or not certain drivers don't like it along with certain residents of the far northwest side don't like it, if you want newer novas so bad how about you get on the phone with the CTA higher brass and ask them about it but if not just give it a rest. Buses age fast especially on poorly maintained infrastructure that currently exists in Chicago. The newer equipment that you desperately crave will soon end up like the rest of the current fleet in a year or so. Its more about principal and equality to you than anything else when it comes to the northwest side getting new equipment. However, the current fleet that FG has seems to be doing just fine. Now what the future may hold is unknown but please give it a rest,we get it but there's nothing any of us can do to fix this problem that has existed for decades now.

Exactly. What 5750 is refusing to acknowledge is the fact that while FG has their fair share of busy routes, outside of Milwaukee their service being dedicated towards north and northwest service means they put less wear and tear per mile compared to the other garages that all do downtown service which means more costly deadheads especially for routes with peak heavy demand and end up pushing up and down the Kennedy, Dan Ryan and Lake shore constantly. Therefore the current fleet allotments make sense. Same thing for the artic assignments. Kedzie has mainly peak only demand for artics outside of 151 and 12 on weekends and therefore have the oldest artics 

• Upvote 5

On 7/2/2019 at 4:13 PM, YoungBusLover said:

If anybody had a right to carp it was the unfortunates at 69th in early 70's. At the time they had:

5545-5749 1954-56, there since new, totally word out at almost 20 years

7200 Macks 1956 - not much newer, but in a lot better shape - Mack built a very solid bus!

8775-8859 1962-63 - no spring chickens at 12 years, woefully underpowered, but the pride of the fleet.

Forest Glen same era:

5000-5499 series - 22 years old, running 24/7 on most routes.

5900's, 8000's - small number by comparison to 5000's, 5900's especially slow and rattly.

8400's - 14 years old, used on lighter routes only.

300-303 - dozen years old, used International Towers.

3240-3244 9 years old, 99 percent of time only on O'Hare.

Marmons - 22 years old on Irving Park and Montrose

By contrast Beverly:

100's dozen years old, base fleet

3000's 8 years old, on Vincennes mostly

3300's 7 years old, mostly 95th and 111/115tb

Mind you it was much more fun for busfans, but CTA was a rolling junk yard at the time.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 11:30 AM, CTA5750 said:

You are forgetting two things here. First, FG had a practically new fleet of Novas when they received late 6700 and 6800s when they were new.

Later, they got more young 6700s from C and had all of the 6700 and 6800s along with some 6000s. They did, at the time, have a pretty new

fleet there.

Second, along with North Park, FG is an outdoor facility. It makes a little more sense to store new stuff inside as opposed to outside at those

2 garages. Sounds like a good reason to me that the older stuff is there. Actually, myself, I'd rather ride on Flyers vs Novas. Although the 

Novas may ride a little smoother, they are so damn uncomfortable. FG is probably better served with older Flyers over the newer 8325s anyday.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

You are forgetting two things here. First, FG had a practically new fleet of Novas when they received late 6700 and 6800s when they were new.

Later, they got more young 6700s from C and had all of the 6700 and 6800s along with some 6000s. They did, at the time, have a pretty new

fleet there.

Second, along with North Park, FG is an outdoor facility. It makes a little more sense to store new stuff inside as opposed to outside at those

2 garages. Sounds like a good reason to me that the older stuff is there. Actually, myself, I'd rather ride on Flyers vs Novas. Although the 

Novas may ride a little smoother, they are so damn uncomfortable. FG is probably better served with older Flyers over the newer 8325s anyday.

Pretty accurate except for the fact that P really doesn't have old equipment despite being an outdoor garage.

15 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

fleet there.

The ac on the Novas at least the 7900s is terrible. They would be better off with the windows open. Can you imagine a warm place like  Miami with these buses? You would have a revolt. I havent been on the 8325s please tell me they fixed the ac??? 

Sorry guys if I've been away been working my butt off. I got a cdl now and I'm driving buses. I dont know if I should come to the cta but I might be interested in them or working for Pace. Been trying to figure out Pace starting pay but it's like a a classified secret. I think cta pays better though. I'm trying to collect a hiring bonus where I drive but they give it in installments but when they are through I'll be ready to roll somewhere else. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, BusHunter said:

Been trying to figure out Pace starting pay but it's like a classified secret. I think cta pays better though. I'm trying to collect a hiring bonus where I drive but they give it in installments but when they are through I'll be ready to roll somewhere else. 

The reason it seems like a classified secret is because it differs from garage to garage. West and Northwest will pay a little more. Starting pay is low though.

On 7/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, BusHunter said:

The ac on the Novas at least the 7900s is terrible. They would be better off with the windows open. Can you imagine a warm place like  Miami with these buses? You would have a revolt. I havent been on the 8325s please tell me they fixed the ac??? 

Sorry guys if I've been away been working my butt off. I got a cdl now and I'm driving buses. I dont know if I should come to the cta but I might be interested in them or working for Pace. Been trying to figure out Pace starting pay but it's like a a classified secret. I think cta pays better though. I'm trying to collect a hiring bonus where I drive but they give it in installments but when they are through I'll be ready to roll somewhere else. 

Thanks for answering the question I haven't asked yet concerning the 7900s a/c.  I know that the first year they were out, it was terrible,  especially in the rear of those buses.   Apparently nothing's changed.   However I am curious how the a/c is on the 8325s, seeing that there are no hopper windows on that series.   The 6400s had great a/c.

As for driving for CTA or Pace, go for it.  I know Pace West is in dire need of drivers.  I believe West and NW are the best paying Pace divisions.  You probably will get called quickly if you apply for those divisions.  I don't know how quickly CTA will call you  but I think they pay the most.

58 minutes ago, ajm522 said:

The 8325’s have GREAT A/C. The tinted windows and no window in the back help keep the bus cool. They need to retrofit all 7900’s to be like 8325’s. 

All of CTA'S buses have tinted windows and the 6400s have a rear window that doesn't seem to affect the way the a/c works on those buses.  But it is great to hear that the 8325s have great a/c.  Are there vents in the back of the bus in the interior?

1 hour ago, sht6131 said:

Why the salary discrimination among the garages?

Not discrimination.  Before Pace became a reality, each garage was its own company with different unions, rates of pay, etc.  Though now under the Pace umbrella,  each garage still has its own rate of pay, union representation, etc.  There's even one garage with no union.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Thanks for answering the question I haven't asked yet concerning the 7900s a/c.  I know that the first year they were out, it was terrible,  especially in the rear of those buses.   Apparently nothing's changed.   However I am curious how the a/c is on the 8325s, seeing that there are no hopper windows on that series.   The 6400s had great a/c.

As for driving for CTA or Pace, go for it.  I know Pace West is in dire need of drivers.  I believe West and NW are the best paying Pace divisions.  You probably will get called quickly if you apply for those divisions.  I don't know how quickly CTA will call you  but I think they pay the most.

Maybe I'll go out on one of these hot days and check out the 8325s myself. It makes sense with the tinted windows. They should try and and tint one of the 7900s windows just to see what is the effect. Yeah I know the 6400s are wonderful. If I was driving I'd probably request an old bus. They got to have some better ac for the driver on the 7900s. If not that buses ac is hopeless. 

I probably will end up at one of the two companies. My thinking is if I went to Pace I could try for the full time garages Aurora or Elgin. Most likely Elgin cause I'm on the north side. Depends what the pay is. I could escape all this part time. If I did do the part time I'd go to cta. The pay is excellent. I wouldnt be part time forever and the raises are excellent. CTA is the better paying job. I know some forest glen drivers that would be happy to see me and it should be easy to assigned there. I just dont want to get based on the south side with split shifts that's too much back and forth. That's the situation I'm currently in but I got a good deal with them. I've been driving a year and a half with rideshare and discovered I like driving. Had the opportunity to get a cdl so why not. I'm basically using them to get experience, but they claim they can disqualify my license if I leave within six months been driving almost 3 months now. Been talking to people some say yes they can do that some say no they cant. My driving ability is good. Because I'm a busfan this all interests me which makes me a good driver. Cta claims to do the same. Walk in with a permit they will license you up but a north park driver told me they told him you have to stay for a year or the license is disqualified. So bottom line it's going to be interesting but I do like driving buses. 

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe I'll go out on one of these hot days and check out the 8325s myself. It makes sense with the tinted windows. They should try and and tint one of the 7900s windows just to see what is the effect. Yeah I know the 6400s are wonderful. If I was driving I'd probably request an old bus. They got to have some better ac for the driver on the 7900s. If not that buses ac is hopeless. 

I probably will end up at one of the two companies. My thinking is if I went to Pace I could try for the full time garages Aurora or Elgin. Most likely Elgin cause I'm on the north side. Depends what the pay is. I could escape all this part time. If I did do the part time I'd go to cta. The pay is excellent. I wouldnt be part time forever and the raises are excellent. CTA is the better paying job. I know some forest glen drivers that would be happy to see me and it should be easy to assigned there. I just dont want to get based on the south side with split shifts that's too much back and forth. That's the situation I'm currently in but I got a good deal with them. I've been driving a year and a half with rideshare and discovered I like driving. Had the opportunity to get a cdl so why not. I'm basically using them to get experience, but they claim they can disqualify my license if I leave within six months been driving almost 3 months now. Been talking to people some say yes they can do that some say no they cant. My driving ability is good. Because I'm a busfan this all interests me which makes me a good driver. Cta claims to do the same. Walk in with a permit they will license you up but a north park driver told me they told him you have to stay for a year or the license is disqualified. So bottom line it's going to be interesting but I do like driving buses. 

I would think that West or NW would be closer to you as the other two are very far.  As for CTA I think they will try to honor requests for a specific garage but fill based on need.  It might take 3 to 6 months to get in at FG but you could start working tomorrow if you work out of 77th or 103rd.  But once you get your foot in the door you may be able to change garages during a systemwide pick.  Finish your obligations where you are then apply when you are about a week from fulfilling your obligations. 

20 hours ago, artthouwill said:

All of CTA'S buses have tinted windows and the 6400s have a rear window that doesn't seem to affect the way the a/c works on those buses.  But it is great to hear that the 8325s have great a/c.  Are there vents in the back of the bus in the interior?

No one has Tinted except for the 8325’s there is a difference you can see on this one between the windshield (no tint which every bus has) and the sides are tinted 

image.jpg

image.jpg