Jump to content
South Shop 7

7900-series Nova LFS - Deliveries & Assignments

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I would think that West or NW would be closer to you as the other two are very far.  As for CTA I think they will try to honor requests for a specific garage but fill based on need.  It might take 3 to 6 months to get in at FG but you could start working tomorrow if you work out of 77th or 103rd.  But once you get your foot in the door you may be able to change garages during a systemwide pick.  Finish your obligations where you are then apply when you are about a week from fulfilling your obligations. 

Why do say that about the garages seems everyone wants to work 103rd or 77th. When I heard a bus instructor from chicago talk about bus garage assignments for new applicants no one wanted to go to fg. Np wouldnt be bad or chicago. I just dont want to drive an artic until I'm comfortable with the 40 footers. Pace seems easy to drive but it does pay less. You want more money drive cta the traffic is more challenging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Why do say that about the garages seems everyone wants to work 103rd or 77th. When I heard a bus instructor from chicago talk about bus garage assignments for new applicants no one wanted to go to fg. Np wouldnt be bad or chicago. I just dont want to drive an artic until I'm comfortable with the 40 footers. Pace seems easy to drive but it does pay less. You want more money drive cta the traffic is more challenging. 

I think the reason the instructor said no one wanted to go to FG is that most applicants are from the south and west sides and they are not familiar with the north and northwest sides of the city.  To that end, NP isn't a popular choice for new applicants either.  I knew an operator who lived on the west side but started with NP.  She couldn't transfer to K fast enough as the north side was foreign to her.  Most new applicants will try to get as close to home as possible.   With seemingly the most senior of drivers at FG, sports for newbies may be hard to come by.  Given a choice would you rather have a fixed bid at 103rd or be an extra board driver at FG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but from what I hear everyone starts on the extra board. Everybody by me says that a deterrant. I dont mind. I'm like hello you are making good money.  I'm pulling 12 hrs days between all my jobs. The only downside I see is getting something overnight like a #79 but driving at night is easier no traffic. I've been all over the city on rideshare so i dont see the danger. Besides you have a bullet proof shield. I just dont like long commutes on split shifts. Currently driving 45 minutes to work on a split shift. I learned though if you uber you can make money up until you are scheduled. I'm making a negative a positive but that's how I roll. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but from what I hear everyone starts on the extra board. Everybody by me says that a deterrant. I dont mind. I'm like hello you are making good money.  I'm pulling 12 hrs days between all my jobs. The only downside I see is getting something overnight like a #79 but driving at night is easier no traffic. I've been all over the city on rideshare so i dont see the danger. Besides you have a bullet proof shield. I just dont like long commutes on split shifts. Currently driving 45 minutes to work on a split shift. I learned though if you uber you can make money up until you are scheduled. I'm making a negative a positive but that's how I roll. 

If you come to cta it's 1st come 1st serve basis. So when it's time to pick your garage however many left when it's your turn that's where you'll end up unless you're needed to fill out a garage that dont have enough operators which can be any of the 7. But in most cases it's always FG or NP for the most part their the farthest garages in the system. Your seniority is everything once you get in cta as well and the longer you're here the better it'll get. 103rd is the most seniority based garage in the system meaning it's a lot of long timers lol so if you're just starting over here you'll get the scraps of what's left or most likely extra board. NP has the lightest seniority of course so if you stay there you'll have better chances of picking more decent routes. With my time I could get sat and Sundays off easily and get off crazy early if I was to go to NP, FG, or K as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

If you come to cta it's 1st come 1st serve basis. So when it's time to pick your garage however many left when it's your turn that's where you'll end up unless you're needed to fill out a garage that dont have enough operators which can be any of the 7. But in most cases it's always FG or NP for the most part their the farthest garages in the system. Your seniority is everything once you get in cta as well and the longer you're here the better it'll get. 103rd is the most seniority based garage in the system meaning it's a lot of long timers lol so if you're just starting over here you'll get the scraps of what's left or most likely extra board. NP has the lightest seniority of course so if you stay there you'll have better chances of picking more decent routes. With my time I could get sat and Sundays off easily and get off crazy early if I was to go to NP, FG, or K as well. 

That's good to know, I've been debating on whether or not I should apply as well for the upcoming years to come. I've always wanted to work out of 74th since its 2 miles away from my place and the longest route of the garage basically gets me there in less than 15 minutes. I wouldn't want to work out of 77th mainly because of the routes and commute time getting there. Finding a pull-in or a relief on Ashland  seems so much easier than trying to find one on 79th during any given day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen 8325 today on state & 37 had the 29 state displayed on the sign but it must had of did the 103 route cuz it had a piece of paper taped to the windshield saying 8325 route 103

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't related to assignments, but I just saw 7914 on the 8, and the rear destination sign displayed "STOP" text when the bus braked. Is this a new feature? I haven't noticed it before. Unfortunately I was unable to grab a shot of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, WCR said:

This isn't related to assignments, but I just saw 7914 on the 8, and the rear destination sign displayed "STOP" text when the bus braked. Is this a new feature? I haven't noticed it before. Unfortunately I was unable to grab a shot of it.

If this is a new feature then that’s pretty awesome it might after recent incidents with 7900’s getting involved in car accident 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, WCR said:

Managed to snag a shot. Pretty bad but it serves its purpose. Route 8A at 95th.

DSC_0117.JPG

I wonder if every bus has this or just the 7900’s 8325’s and also is it every garage with this new feature or just 77th’s buses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Shannon CVPI said:

7902 last night parked on the side of C getting some rest already know it's been there a few months just saw & said I'll take a pic lol 8011 was a few buses behind it 

IMG_20190812_002101737.jpg

Did it have a “C” sticker or “7”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WCR said:

Managed to snag a shot. Pretty bad but it serves its purpose. Route 8A at 95th.

DSC_0117.JPG

I saw a 91 stop at South Blvd and Austin but the rear sign didn't chage. I think it was 8315 or 8316.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By East New York
      Good day all!

      My name is Dante, and I am a Transit Systems Engineer based in NYC. I have been following this forum for a couple years here and there, so I finally decided to join. One of the reasons is because my new position will have me traveling all over the country a lot, and I have learned a lot about CTA. Glad to be here, and hope to be a helpful part of some discussions.

      Question #1

      I know a little about the upcoming procurement as I have the RFP, but from your prospective, who all do you think has a chance at this contract, and who would you like to see it awarded to?
×
×
  • Create New...