7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Sounds like a lot of south side riders who live in or near Hyde Park were on extended holidays from work.

yeah it was pretty dead out here. CTA could have probably went with a saturday schedule. It was a good day to drive a bus. Downtown was crowded but I've seen it worse in years past. You got to wonder what internet retailers like Amazon are doing to the walk up retailers

Nova has been busy since 7900's started being built. Between 7949 and 7950 they built a large order for SEPTA in Philly, now they are building Connecticut Transit and SEPTA artics since 7999. Apparently 8000 and up have not yet been completed.

That's bad news. I guess well see #8000 in the spring.

That's bad news. I guess well see #8000 in the spring.

Whatever remaining 7900's at Plattsburgh will be pushed out to CTA by the end of the year and will begin service no later than January, 2015. 8000-8099 will begin production probably in mid-January and we should see a few of this number block by February, early March.

Whatever remaining 7900's at Plattsburgh will be pushed out to CTA by the end of the year and will begin service no later than January, 2015. 8000-8099 will begin production probably in mid-January and we should see a few of this number block by February, early March.

As I've said before, I don't think anybody here has the production schedule nor the weather forecast for upstate New York.

Indications on the Nova site are that they have to get the Philly order out.

I thought that the 2015 budget would be more illuminating, but the only thing there is that

As part of an order of 300 new 40-foot clean diesel buses manufactured by Nova Bus, the CTA expects delivery of 100 buses by the end of the 2014 with the remainder delivered in 2015. (page 41; page 25 is to similar effect)

Novabus will probably will just do back to back manufacturing of the #8000's and #8100's when the time comes. But if it takes them two months to build 100 buses and the #8000's are not built then that's early Feb at the earliest with testing probably not until March. So maybe the #8000's come in mid March-May 2015. That would leave the #8100's for a summer delivery.

Here's a shot of #7930, it's still around. But it has this weird sound i recorded and put on youtube. Whenever the bus brakes you get this sound like an air valve releasing. I'll let you hear it for yourself, but it's not anything I've heard on the #7900's so far. For background info the bus has been taken out of service twice in like 3-4 times. (once at Roosevelt NB at Michigan and once yesterday at the CSU terminal.)

Also it's clever device is like 2 hours off. Was saying 7:51 at 5:51, maybe it's stuck on atlantic time???

post-304-0-03465500-1417589659_thumb.png

And here's that youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKzY3PVxIyA&feature=youtu.be

BTW, I'm still looking for #7911, it ran that first day on the #8 as a tripper and I haven't seen it since.

Here's a shot of #7930, it's still around. But it has this weird sound i recorded and put on youtube. Whenever the bus brakes you get this sound like an air valve releasing. I'll let you hear it for yourself, but it's not anything I've heard on the #7900's so far. For background info the bus has been taken out of service twice in like 3-4 times. (once at Roosevelt NB at Michigan and once yesterday at the CSU terminal.)

Also it's clever device is like 2 hours off. Was saying 7:51 at 5:51, maybe it's stuck on atlantic time???

attachicon.gifcta 7930 on 2.PNG

And here's that youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKzY3PVxIyA&feature=youtu.be

BTW, I'm still looking for #7911, it ran that first day on the #8 as a tripper and I haven't seen it since.

I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. I've heard that hiss in individual buses of different models when the buses in question brake to a stop. So if its not a standard in other 7900s, maybe there was just something they did a bit different with 7930 from the other's that's still pretty harmless. I mean after the complaints this year that deliveries and placement in service of the 7900s have been slow, one would hope inspectors found this one to be okay even if the hiss of the brakes is different from many others. :lol:

I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. I've heard that hiss in individual buses of different models when the buses in question brake to a stop. So if its not a standard in other 7900s, maybe there was just something they did a bit different with 7930 from the other's that's still pretty harmless. I mean after the complaints this year that deliveries and placement in service of the 7900s have been slow, one would hope inspectors found this one to be okay even if the hiss of the brakes is different from many others. :lol:

At times it was loud, I figured if it was that loud my camera should catch it, and it did to my humor. :lol: I don't know if it was something done by the shops or what, but the bus hasn't been around long enough to know what it's really all about. Just something to keep in mind if someone rides it. :huh:

I agree with jajuan here... I don't hear anything unusual. Air brakes behave differently depending on the manufacturer of the brake system. I was actually quite surprised when I first started riding New Flyer D40LF's #1930-2029 with the Allison Transmission. When the buses get ready to stop, the air brakes make a "Spit" noise, kinda similar to what I hear in your video BusHunter. While it's been established that the 7900-Series Novas are not Allison Transmission buses, the Air Brakes on the bus may still behave like this due to system design.

I was actually quite surprised when I first started riding New Flyer D40LF's #1930-2029 with the Allison Transmission. When the buses get ready to stop, the air brakes make a "Spit" noise,

That's not the brakes, that's actually the transmission making that noise. That's why you hear it on Allison-equipped buses, and not on other types. It's linked to the retarder design on the Allison transmission.

As for the video, I did hear the sound, but it would be difficult to tell just from that video whether the sound is from the air brake system, or some other system (such as the doors) which uses air.

That's not the brakes, that's actually the transmission making that noise. That's why you hear it on Allison-equipped buses, and not on other types. It's linked to the retarder design on the Allison transmission.

As for the video, I did hear the sound, but it would be difficult to tell just from that video whether the sound is from the air brake system, or some other system (such as the doors) which uses air.

Yeah well just imagine it twice as loud. You know how the Allisons will do that spit noise while it's traveling down the street. This only does it on stops only and it doesn't matter if the doors open, it did it at Madison/State SB and there is no stop there. It's nothing I've heard so far on the other #7900 buses. It seems to be anomalous.

I forgot to mention yesterday that #7997 was programmed into the system and have it's license plates. So expect the only remaining bus at the shop to be in service next week. Also, I don't know what happened to #7910 because maintenance was test driving it for an undisclosed reason and #7967 is parked by the fence.

I forgot to mention yesterday that #7997 was programmed into the system and have it's license plates. So expect the only remaining bus at the shop to be in service next week. Also, I don't know what happened to #7910 because maintenance was test driving it for an undisclosed reason and #7967 is parked by the fence.

That doesn't necessarily say that something was wrong. They just may have made some adjustments that they wanted to make sure were done correctly and safely.

...If that is correct that would be on par with what they wanted to do with the #6400's, they wanted to order 150 buses each year over three years to get within 450 or 484 as the order was for that amount of buses....

Could be. There must be some reason why they said in the budget that they will order the 150 buses but haven't yet. History indicates that the buses won't get onto the production schedule until the notice to proceed is issued. Also, while there hasn't been anything said about the cost of living adjustment on the option, Huberman's justification for exercising New Flyer Options 3 and 4 (1630 up) was the inflation adjustment plus the cost of maintaining obsolete buses, neither of which would be saved if the 150 don't show up until 2017 (my estimate).

The only thing that seems clear from the budget is that artics are no longer considered part of the original "sliding scale" of 450.

I wonder if Novabus itself can't handle that big of an order that fast especially doing multiple cities and now 60 foot artics. Maybe they should expand because how would they ever fill an order for 1000 buses like what is coming with the #1000's. It seems only NF has the capability to manufacture that amount that fast. (they delivered within 3 years 2006-09, 1,050 buses) This may be the reason why in 1991, CTA ordered through two manufacturers because TMC or Flxible could not deliver 1000 buses either that fast.

NF said that between their 3 original plants they had capacity for 2000 EUs, and adding NABI added another 500. After the 900 bus order they thought they were getting but didn't, NF said it was scheduling 36 EUs a week, which then would have been ~1800 a year.

Nova only does its Buy America work at Plattsburgh (Canadian orders are done in St.. Eustache), and having shut down that work in the U.S. in 2002, I don't think they will be overextending again, although they did announce an expansion to do Prevosts.

Could be. There must be some reason why they said in the budget that they will order the 150 buses but haven't yet. History indicates that the buses won't get onto the production schedule until the notice to proceed is issued. Also, while there hasn't been anything said about the cost of living adjustment on the option, Huberman's justification for exercising New Flyer Options 3 and 4 (1630 up) was the inflation adjustment plus the cost of maintaining obsolete buses, neither of which would be saved if the 150 don't show up until 2017 (my estimate).

The only thing that seems clear from the budget is that artics are no longer considered part of the original "sliding scale" of 450.

I'm not really saying Novas would come in 2017, but 2014-16 seems like it's a given. 100 this year, most of the rest of the 300 next year and then that remaining amount with the option in 2016. Sounds like maybe they were shooting for the 150 this year but delays derailed that idea.

The sliding scale with the artics included in the total has just about always been stated as up to 600 buses: the 40 foot portion being given as up to 450 which CTA has awarded to NOVA which are now coming in as the 7900s plus up to 150 artics which as stated has yet to be awarded.

The sliding scale with the artics included in the total has just about always been stated as up to 600 buses: the 40 foot portion being given as up to 450 which CTA has awarded to NOVA which are now coming in as the 7900s plus up to 150 artics which as stated has yet to be awarded.

Most or all of those artics depend on whether or not BRT actually takes off.... personally, I think it's a waste of getting buses with doors on both the right and left side of the bus. For one, it's additional door maintenance, and you can bet ADA will require two wheelchair ramps, so double the maintenance there too. Two, most importantly here... if BRT fails, what happens to these specially designed buses? Do they just sit at South Shops and collect dust? I know CTA could technically still use them, but it's double the maintenance for upkeep, and no doubt less seating with doors on both sides.

If BRT fails, what would be best for BRT-designed buses is if CTA gives them in a trade-off to another Transit Authority that operates BRT service for either cash value of the buses(which may be used to acquire brand new 60' buses), or equal trade off of 60' buses on the receiving Transit Authorities' roster. Highly unlikely to be considered by CTA, but it would allow these buses to continue to see operation if BRT fails while allowing CTA to have replacement, albeit used equipment.

Not originally, It was only after the prebid meeting addendum came out. See about here and compare to that thread before that.

Most or all of those artics depend on whether or not BRT actually takes off.... personally, I think it's a waste of getting buses with doors on both the right and left side of the bus. ..

Although the original specification was only for a third door, I agree that this is only something CTA kept in its back pocket in case the Ashland BRT were funded, but my betting is that it will not. Anyway, there isn't any money in the 2015 5 year capital plan for them.