7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

What Im told is that Chicago av. will be getting them next.

Yeah that's what I'm expecting to happen too. It's just too much to swallow to send them to 74th already, another south side garage. This at least gives a little balance and Chicago should be familiar with the bus as they've already had it and they have alot of old Novas from 77th that need to go. I think if the next 100 start off at Chicago, then Fg should get something, it's just so far up the road no one's talking about it.

Yeah that's what I'm expecting to happen too. It's just too much to swallow to send them to 74th already, another south side garage. This at least gives a little balance and Chicago should be familiar with the bus as they've already had it and they have alot of old Novas from 77th that need to go. I think if the next 100 start off at Chicago, then Fg should get something, it's just so far up the road no one's talking about it.

But at least it would be able to be said that 74th actually has Novas to retire regardless of it is another south side garage or not. If it had no 6400s then you would be on to something.

But at least it would be able to be said that 74th actually has Novas to retire regardless of it is another south side garage or not. If it had no 6400s then you would be on to something.

Yes, but for some reason 74th is like the Fg of the south side. Someone has to be. But they are in much better straits, at least it's being mentioned they will get some #7900's. Fg is the big mystery. Besides all of what Chicago has is below the #6600's, so it's the next obvious choice. Now what should have happened was the #6400's that were at 77th would have been retired now, if they never left and if they move up the fleet numbers then we should be able to see the progression. This #1000's to 77th has really screwed up things especially for FG who is stuck in 2001-02. I don't understand why they don't at least give them the 60 #1000's back.

Was on #7950. Would you believe it has this same spitting sound as #7930. #7994 sounds good and it's not spitting. These spitting buses seem to have something fixed/changed with their air systems.

I believe the spitting sound you hear is a good thing. When the air pressure (psi) reaches 120lbs, you will hear that spitting sound which is air release. That is the cutoff so that the psi doesn't continue to climb beyond 120 lbs. At that point the air bags are full. You don't want to ride a vehicle with a busted airbag, It negatively affects the ride. If you have ever seen a bus lean to one side even though the bus was going straight on a straight road, that was an indication that an airbag was either busted or underinflated.

I believe the spitting sound you hear is a good thing. When the air pressure (psi) reaches 120lbs, you will hear that spitting sound which is air release. That is the cutoff so that the psi doesn't continue to climb beyond 120 lbs. At that point the air bags are full. You don't want to ride a vehicle with a busted airbag, It negatively affects the ride. If you have ever seen a bus lean to one side even though the bus was going straight on a straight road, that was an indication that an airbag was either busted or underinflated.

Weird I had #7930 tonight sitting right in front of me and I didn't hear the spitting like CTA may be altering/fixing what's causing that. Do you think the bus for some reason is building up too much air and these are like bleed valves which spit when it senses a high air pressure. I guess high air pressure can be as bad as low, we wouldn't want the bus doing a handstand when it stopped either. Weird I've only heard this on the two buses and #7930 might not be doing that anymore.

Btw, took a few shots of #7950 and #7994.

post-304-0-38841800-1419655801_thumb.png post-304-0-38177500-1419655810_thumb.png post-304-0-24997700-1419655833_thumb.png

Yes, but for some reason 74th is like the Fg of the south side. Someone has to be. But they are in much better straits, at least it's being mentioned they will get some #7900's. Fg is the big mystery. Besides all of what Chicago has is below the #6600's, so it's the next obvious choice. Now what should have happened was the #6400's that were at 77th would have been retired now, if they never left and if they move up the fleet numbers then we should be able to see the progression. This #1000's to 77th has really screwed up things especially for FG who is stuck in 2001-02. I don't understand why they don't at least give them the 60 #1000's back.

Im not placing any bets on FG getting any new buses! Why they have a entire fleet of the oldest "hand me downs" while other garages get new or semi new equipment is just plain ridiculous! And if and when the 6400 Novas are gone they will be replaced by more "hand me downs" from other garages. lll just bet that FG will get the oldest #1000 NF buses.

Im not placing any bets on FG getting any new buses! Why they have a entire fleet of the oldest "hand me downs" while other garages get new or semi new equipment is just plain ridiculous! And if and when the 6400 Novas are gone they will be replaced by more "hand me downs" from other garages. lll just bet that FG will get the oldest #1000 NF buses.

Unless Cta got tricks up in their sleeves in 2018-19 (When some NF's reach 12 years old).

Unless Cta got tricks up in their sleeves in 2018-19 (When some NF's reach 12 years old).

As noted before, the budget says that CTA will exercise the option on the 150 Novas. We know they aren't going to send artics to FG (the Santa Tracker indicates that the day the run was on 56, the bus was sitting at North Park). I still buy the rumor of about 110 to C, 74, and FG as making the most sense.

FG may have received some overworked buses from 77th, but I go along with the surmise that since the delivery of 6709 up was delayed 6-8 months from 6708, their replacements will be too.

Lately Ive been seeing quite a few Novas breaking down on a few FG routes. Some were 77th buses some were not. But the bottom line is FG management need to let the big bosses downtown know to get some much needed newer equipment up this way! Last night I ran passed FG, you see nothing bus worn out Novas lined up along Elston ave. and in the yard itself. Its a disgrace!

Weird I had #7930 tonight sitting right in front of me and I didn't hear the spitting like CTA may be altering/fixing what's causing that. Do you think the bus for some reason is building up too much air and these are like bleed valves which spit when it senses a high air pressure. I guess high air pressure can be as bad as low, we wouldn't want the bus doing a handstand when it stopped either. Weird I've only heard this on the two buses and #7930 might not be doing that anymore.

Btw, took a few shots of #7950 and #7994.

attachicon.gifcta 7950 on 8.PNG attachicon.gifcta 7994 on 3.PNG attachicon.gifcta 7994 on 3 take 2.PNG

It is possible. Could also be the compressor. It is a minor fix.

This is a sign of a problem. Compressor is supposed to shut off at about 120psi, not keep on pumping. Sounds like pressure sensor on compressor has gone bad.

7999 at SS Monday. All 100 should now be delivered. 7999 was absolutely filthy with road grime.

Thought that was at the Material Distribution Center, 901 W Division. Saw a Nova over there a few times but was never close enough to see a number. We were still waiting for #7998 and #7949 but I think #7998's being held back not for a maintenance reason and could possibly have been around somewhere. It's possible they may get the last 3 #7950's on the road by tomorrow. We'll have to see if those last 3 show up on the fence or not.

Actually, the oldest of the 1000s wouldn't be all that bad, since they are getting rehabbed, and in theory, would or should be like new.

Thought that was at the Material Distribution Center, 901 W Division. Saw a Nova over there a few times but was never close enough to see a number. We were still waiting for #7998 and #7949 but I think #7998's being held back not for a maintenance reason and could possibly have been around somewhere. It's possible they may get the last 3 #7950's on the road by tomorrow. We'll have to see if those last 3 show up on the fence or not.

You probably saw the Nova's there during daytime storage for #8.

Hey Hey!! Look what CTA pulled out of the closet today. It's #7911!! The Nova bus in service with the least miles. It only ran in service as a tripper on the #8 the first day in service and then it was gone for nearly two months!! (since 11/14/14) Today though it got some good use on a block run on the #4. I think it was out all day.

post-304-0-05683000-1420524609_thumb.png

Stumbled across a few manufacturing photos inside the Nova bus plant that was on Buschat. Kind of interesting but I guess they don't put the numbers on til last. ;)

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=301880

Congratulations, BusHunter! You might've inadvertently shared a photograph of #8000 in production! All that remains to be seen in Chicago is 7949 and 7998, both of which are probably already built and getting final inspections before being driven west(if not already on the road). Well done!!! ;)

Congratulations, BusHunter! You might've inadvertently shared a photograph of #8000 in production! All that remains to be seen in Chicago is 7949 and 7998, both of which are probably already built and getting final inspections before being driven west(if not already on the road). Well done!!! ;)

Looks like they were doing SEPTA and CTA orders at the same time. I expected the place to be bigger, there's a few pictures of the break room and other areas of the building on Novabus' Facebook. They just recently expanded the building so they can have a Prevost bus assembly line and they took an order from MTA for 414 Novabuses which they plan on delivering in 2015. Hopefully they don't have too much on their plate and can deliver all these buses.

Looks like they were doing SEPTA and CTA orders at the same time. I expected the place to be bigger, there's a few pictures of the break room and other areas of the building on Novabus' Facebook. They just recently expanded the building so they can have a Prevost bus assembly line and they took an order from MTA for 414 Novabuses which they plan on delivering in 2015. Hopefully they don't have too much on their plate and can deliver all these buses.

Found them in the snow!!! :lol: :D

post-1364-0-45097500-1421015008_thumb.jp

• Upvote 4