7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Wasnt there a certain someone who preferred and old Flxible to a new New Flyer a few years back? This comment is made in good spirit, not to be disrespectful.

I remember the first day the 1000's saw service, on Archer, in 1972 and driver complaining about the drivers seats not being as adjustable as the old seats were. Every time something changes, there is a period of acclimation, and during this period all the negative features are discovered (and there always are some).

One plus I can give the 1000s of today over the 7900s so far is being able to still feel the air conditioning in the seats over the engine compartment. Rode #8050 on the #9 earlier today and got stuck in one of those rearmost seats the first five minutes of my ride. It was so hot sitting in those seats you would not have thought the air conditioner was running even though it was indeed blowing. I moved as soon as one of the seats a little further up got vacated. I sat in the same rearmost position on #1917 while it was still on the #22 (and hours before it made its PM rush switch over to the 136 as it's now operating) and the air conditioner was still very much noticeable on that bus.

• Upvote 1

That's cause if you look at the AC vents on the left side the vents blow toward the right cause they have that horizontal ad rack. You'll notice aride on the right is cooler than one on the left

I sat in that middle seat in the back initially and still felt nothing. From what you're saying in terms of the air vents, I should have felt something on my right side. The seat that became available was on the left side of 8050 and I was quite comfortable in that spot. :lol:

​Wow, i didn't think they would already be building this. They seem to have run ahead on the order all of a sudden and could possibly have taken a 2 months break. With this being at the higher end of the next 50 they should be seeing some then within a month.

Pretty soon we'll be discussing where the next batch of nova's will go lol. Now considering this may be the last 100 buses to be delivered, (assuming they don't go for the extra 150) I'm quite curious how these buses will be dealt cause right now anything is possible as far as where they'll end up.

Edited by Mr.cta85
  • Upvote 2

​Part of a tour by one of NY's US Senators, Kirsten Gillibrand. I see she's even behind the wheel in one shot. Dick Durbin never got to do that. LOL! 

​Also, Congresswoman Elise Stefanik in a different gallery. However, there is no indication that Durbin has a CDL, nor that he brought any assembly jobs to Illinois. Sumitomo/Nippon Sharyo was maybe Quinn's work.

Pretty soon we'll be discussing where the next batch of nova's will go lol. Now considering this may be the last 100 buses to be delivered, (assuming they don't go for the extra 150) I'm quite curious how these buses will be dealt cause right now anything is possible as far as where they'll end up.

​True, anything is possible, but I figure Emanuel would have had lunch with you if they were going to 103rd. I still figure Chicago because it has 6400s, and 7900 was tested there during the prototype stage. But nobody knows what's in the head of the Chief Transit Operations Officer (or if anything has been in that head for the past about 10 years).

Lol touche Busjack, I believe they go to Chicago too but with only 100 novas to be delivered  (Unless they go for the extra 150 buses) that garage may not get the whole 100, im thinking they will get only half of that and the other half maybe lol just maybe going to FG or heck maybe still 103rd since Rahm is loving the southside right now lol.

Edited by Mr.cta85

Also if we don't see 20 #1000's go to 74th, then there's the possibility 74th may get up to #8120-25. Fg might be getting some #1000's, but they will have to wait for most likely another swapocolypse to get the #1000's back in order. Chicago should be the next garage though. Then we have the great mystery option, but the absence of a scrap contract still points to 300 buses only..

..., but the absence of a scrap contract still points to 300 buses only..

​The one for up to 200 was at least advertised if not issued, so they would have to chew through that one first.

Of course, there doesn't seem to be any consistency to how CTA is handling scrap contracts, i.e. the one for up to 200 rapid transit cars you mentioned earlier is on the agenda, but I don't recall it being advertised.

​While it is very possible Chicago gets the next set, I still believe they should go to FG.  First, I don't think Chicago has 100 Novas currently on its roster.  Granted, 100 new Novas at FG wouldn't rid it of all of the 6400s.  Regardless of scenario, FG has tao receive buses as you know those Novas can't hold up for very long.  If Chicago does get them, we can't expect the More Bus Moves thread to be the longest thread on the forum forever.

​The one for up to 200 was at least advertised if not issued, so they would have to chew through that one first.

Of course, there doesn't seem to be any consistency to how CTA is handling scrap contracts, i.e. the one for up to 200 rapid transit cars you mentioned earlier is on the agenda, but I don't recall it being advertised.

​Well that 200 #2600's scrap contract just went through the board so it's new. It's not even in the ordinances yet but soon it should be but it might have to be bid on first. The scrapper to my knowledge has not yet been announced. 

Oh BTW, Axion technologies, the #3200's rehab LED sign bid winner is going to provide digital run boxes too for those #3200's. Too bad they didn't get selected to put in the information signs that show the time/next stop on the #5000's. I think that would really upgrade those #3200's.

Edited by BusHunter

​Also, Congresswoman Elise Stefanik in a different gallery. However, there is no indication that Durbin has a CDL, nor that he brought any assembly jobs to Illinois. Sumitomo/Nippon Sharyo was maybe Quinn's work.

​True, anything is possible, but I figure Emanuel would have had lunch with you if they were going to 103rd. I still figure Chicago because it has 6400s, and 7900 was tested there during the prototype stage. But nobody knows what's in the head of the Chief Transit Operations Officer (or if anything has been in that head for the past about 10 years).

​It was a joke. I doubt Stefanik or Gillibrand have a CDL either. xD

Lol touche Busjack, I believe they go to Chicago too but with only 100 novas to be delivered  (Unless they go for the extra 150 buses) that garage may not get the whole 100, im thinking they will get only half of that and the other half maybe lol just maybe going to FG or heck maybe still 103rd since Rahm is loving the southside right now lol.

​Despite all the visiting the southside to garner votes and lost support, I highly doubt the mayor will have CTA steer 8100-8199 to 103rd.

Also if we don't see 20 #1000's go to 74th, then there's the possibility 74th may get up to #8120-25. Fg might be getting some #1000's, but they will have to wait for most likely another swapocolypse to get the #1000's back in order. Chicago should be the next garage though. Then we have the great mystery option, but the absence of a scrap contract still points to 300 buses only..

​Looking at how 5900s and some other long retired models can still be found at the South Shops dead lot and how long it took to start shredding 7500s, I still think too much is being read into the mix to make the conclusion they won't get 8200-8349 especially when other factors point to it being doubtful that 150 6400s will be able to hold out much longer no matter how good FG's crews may be.