7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

I was distracted too but it wasn't because of a sexy lady.

​I got pictures of the first day in service #8085 and #8069. This biker guy got right in the middle of my shot and I was lucky to capture #8069. I took his picture too because this wasn't just any biker guy, it was Garmon!!

#8069:

cta_8069_on_62.thumb.PNG.5b2dfdf3f30627ccta_8085_on_62.thumb.PNG.8246c174a72e7f3

oh_no_it's_Garmonn.thumb.PNG.81dba7a3876

• Upvote 5

​I got pictures of the first day in service #8085 and #8069. This biker guy got right in the middle of my shot and I was lucky to capture #8069. I took his picture too because this wasn't just any biker guy, it was Garmon!!!

oh_no_it's_Garmonn.thumb.PNG.81dba7a3876

​Thank you for mentioning who this was, BusHunter.... Garmon757.....https://youtu.be/cNX_wGyKhmM

He who steps into shots of Chicago Transit Forum members gets to hear these immortal words....

• Upvote 1

​I got pictures of the first day in service #8085 and #8069. This biker guy got right in the middle of my shot and I was lucky to capture #8069. I took his picture too because this wasn't just any biker guy, it was Garmon!!

HOLY SH--!!!!! I'm surprised you didn't catch up with me before I went underground!!! xD :D

I don't know what the hell is going on but I just saw a 7900 being towed to an undisclosed location via Dan Ryan Expressway northbound before I got off the bus @ 79th Red Line. It's making me wonder, did it just came from South Shop??? :oo.O

Edited by garmon757

I don't know what the hell is going on but I just saw a 7900 being towed to an undisclosed location via Dan Ryan Expressway northbound before I got off the bus @ 79th Red Line. It's making me wonder, did it just came from South Shop??? :oo.O

​Towed? From South Shop? That is a mystery. Unfortunately, we can all assume it isn't being towed to FG to start revenue service, that's for sure.

Edited by NewFlyerMCI
Grammer corrections

Hey Garmon, you were lucky #8070 pulled in at Ashland EB around 3:30 and I missed it again. Then I was looking for #8086 and it pulled in at the east end. Both operators seem to have got new buses. But I barely made #8083, the pictures don't look bad, and I tracked down #8068 after it pulled in on me for 3 straight days. Here's the shots, #8083 is in it's first day in service

cta_8083_front_on_55.thumb.PNG.86b7d0f09cta_8083_rear_on_55.thumb.PNG.74b03fa03dcta_8068_rear_quarter_on_63W.thumb.PNG.acta_8068_side_on_63W.thumb.PNG.4a1391c5b

• Upvote 1

Any time there are new vehicles, there are those that will have issues. If it is something covered by warranty, many times a vendor (like Chicago Bus & Truck at 77/Central) is who the builder contracts with to do warranty work. So yes, you might see a brand new bus being towed OUT of South Shops.

​Thanks man! I haven't check and see if it was one of them that was OOS. So far we have 4 that's out (#7943 #7960 #8027 and #8028) but we'll never know.

A dastardly thought came into my head the past week or so concerning new Nova garage assignments.

What if Chicago garage gets new Novas - but they're 74th St. garage's 7900-7939? xD

​It wouldn't be 74th in the lower range, because they are 77th. However, then someone would have to give something new to 77th.

i've been checking and rarely have I caught a #8000 on the 75. They seem mostly to migrate to the 9, 62, 94 and 49 first, and then whoever else gets them, gets them.

​75 being a comparatively short route doesn't help.

​75 being a comparatively short route doesn't help.

​With giants like the routes I mentioned above, you have a point. However, I would say that the 55A, N, 62H, 63W and 165 get more novas and their routes are shorter (albeit, less service hours in some cases). Furthermore, the 75 is in the same length category as the 55, 59, 63 and 67, and while I can't speak for the 63, the rest all seem to have, for lack of a better word, preference.

​With giants like the routes I mentioned above, you have a point. However, I would say that the 55A, N, 62H, 63W and 165 get more novas and their routes are shorter (albeit, less service hours in some cases). Furthermore, the 75 is in the same length category as the 55, 59, 63 and 67, and while I can't speak for the 63, the rest all seem to have, for lack of a better word, preference.

​Issue I tried to raise was that the length of the route has a proportional effect on how many buses are assigned to it. Also, in the case of the west of Midway routes, they are interlined with 59, not independent. However, there might be the counter argument that they were first tried on lighter routes during a shakedown phase, or because of the need to train drivers.