7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

This afternoon on my way downtown I saw a Nova of the 7900 Series going northbound on the Dan Ryan. I didn't get the bus number, but I hope I'm just seeing things because the route number on the back looked like #20.

coulda been a #2 Hyde Park.....not saying you didn't see what you saw though cause I remember riding the #4 home and when I got to 35th and Giles, I seen a 7900 sitting outside CMA-B for a school run on the #3 displaying a #20 sign so maybe its a glitch of some kind. Reminds when the 4300's were first arriving, they're first week the announcements always said #6 Jackson Park Express even though the headsign showed the correct route it was on.

• Upvote 1

So far, no 8100s have arrived. However, another accident plaguing this fleet because #7995 is OOS due to a rear end accident (geez, I took a nice pic of it earlier this year)! #8059 and #8090 have been cleared back in service. I don't know the status of #7943 because I didn't see it at the shop. Also, #7960 is still there but the good news that the back door has been either repaired or replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

Fg will probably get the rest of the #7900's unless they are hell bent on Chicago getting some. Busjack alluded to the electric buses plan has no funding, so it sounds like they will get the 450 #7900's now. Fg really deserves them all for what they and the north side's been put up with. (not that that will probably happen, i have a hard time believing CTA is in such a giving mood) They have a saying that goes "they've been rode hard and put up wet" alluding to horses but it has a metaphorical meaning as well. Fg's been rode hard and they deserve good things to come there way. Anything's better than the #6400's, except maybe the ice cream trucks o.O:P (#500's) Hell I'll even be happy with all #1000's!!

These #1300's i just can't figure out, we have #1364 on the #9, #1353 at 74th, #1357 and #1359 passed me on the #82, it's like wth, where do the #1300's belong? Hopefully they will straighten these fleets out because they are really confusing and if the windshield doesn't have the right garage code that bus will just go wherever it says it's going.

Electric buses are in their infancy across the U.S and even Canada right now. It'll be several years before any U.S or Canadian transit agency trusts them enough to have a reasonably sized fleet of them. I can see 10-20, but 100+ is a bit much until transit companies and bus manufacturers review data on the test buses in the marketplace right now. Until then, the only bus options are Clean Diesel, Hybrid, and CNG.

Seemed the appropriate place for this response. So Bushunter, you're finally willing to consider that CTA will get more than just the 300 base order on the 7900s. I've been saying for months that they had simply too many buses to replace for 300 to account for even if we take into account Busjack's thought on the 4300s being acquired being of some help. The retiring of the 500s and 900s already took up 55 in the accounting, and a few of those 4300s have already been knocked out by accidents and in the case of 4333, engine fire. And that was before we even got to the fact that when deliveries of the 7900s started, 470-something 6400s were likely still on the roster to be replaced. Bringing in Busjack's thought on the 4300s, there is no way 300 buses could replace the 440-some 6400s that the remaining 4300s didn't replaced even if you count 4300s as 1.5 buses instead of just one. Plus I also said for quite some time that the electric bus thing was never much of a go, not just because of Busjack pointing out there is no concrete funding for it, but also because of what sw400 stated. I know the way CTA worded their presentations to the public and media about keeping the 2 electric buses after testing them might lead some to believe CTA was looking to get more electric buses. However, their acquisition is still not much more than that, a test. 

Seemed the appropriate place for this response. So Bushunter, you're finally willing to consider that CTA will get more than just the 300 base order on the 7900s. I've been saying for months that they had simply too many buses to replace for 300 to account for even if we take into account Busjack's thought on the 4300s being acquired being of some help. The retiring of the 500s and 900s already took up 55 in the accounting, and a few of those 4300s have already been knocked out by accidents and in the case of 4333, engine fire. And that was before we even got to the fact that when deliveries of the 7900s started, 470-something 6400s were likely still on the roster to be replaced. Bringing in Busjack's thought on the 4300s, there is no way 300 buses could replace the 440-some 6400s that the remaining 4300s didn't replaced even if you count 4300s as 1.5 buses instead of just one. Plus I also said for quite some time that the electric bus thing was never much of a go, not just because of Busjack pointing out there is no concrete funding for it, but also because of what sw400 stated. I know the way CTA worded their presentations to the public and media about keeping the 2 electric buses after testing them might lead some to believe CTA was looking to get more electric buses. However, their acquisition is still not much more than that, a test. 

Well Jajuan, they wanted to get some more electric buses, they just didn't have the funding. And this is CTA we're talking about. They strike me with past events doing just that and leaving FG with the amber #6400's. It's not far fetched. #2600's are on the Blue exclusively and there is not even a thought on giving them #3200's so my thoughts were not off base. To date the Blue line and Fg still has no LED lighted buses or trains when that is at least 80-85 percent fleet wide now. No colored LED signs on the trains for 5 years yet, when by next year 75 percent of those will be fleet wide. They wouldn't have drawn up the electric bus document if they weren't trying for it. Best part is it might have actually worked if they would have had a service cut of 100 buses that only leaves 50 buses and they could have probably just rolled with those until the next years cut.

8100-8177 (only) should now be built. Were on production line right after 8099. After that, there might be a long gap before any more come in, as a large SEPTA artic and NYCTA 40-foot order take up the next almost 200 production slots. Why to 8177 and not 8199? Is the money running short?

Edited by andrethebusman

8100-8177 (only) should now be built. Were on production line right after 8099. After that, there might be a long gap before any more come in, as a large SEPTA artic and NYCTA 40-foot order take up the next almost 200 production slots. Why to 8177 and not 8199? Is the money running short?

I don't have access to the production scheduling system, but one would supposed it would depend on (1) when delivery was originally intended, the impression given by CTA being that it would be near the end of 2015, and (2) when delivery was promised to the other two TAs.

Given that apparently nothing has been delivered yet, I still question why Nova would hold onto that much partially-paid inventory.

Let's hope not or how will they afford the option? Still though even with 78 fg should be receiving about 90-100 of something when that shows up and they get these last #1000's rehabbed. That should at least get them to all amber fleet. 

For the paranoia in everyone they still haven't announced the option so it's not yet cut in stone.

I don't have access to the production scheduling system, but one would supposed it would depend on (1) when delivery was originally intended, the impression given by CTA being that it would be near the end of 2015, and (2) when delivery was promised to the other two TAs.

Given that apparently nothing has been delivered yet, I still question why Nova would hold onto that much partially-paid inventory.

Well it probably has to do with personnel to deliver(drive) the buses to Chicago. If you have personnel driving the buses in the SEPTA Artic and NYCTA 40' bus order from Plattsburgh to these areas, that might be why. The NYCTA order is pretty close for Nova and the SEPTA order, if I understand the TA name, is from Pennsylvania(Philadelphia?). So those deliveries would be closer and quicker to get finished than Chicago, which is farther away. Once a good majority of these orders are delivered, then Nova can send the drivers to Chicago with the Novas and afford to be without them for a few days to allow for travel and I presume a night or two in a hotel/motel before flying back.

Well it probably has to do with personnel to deliver(drive) the buses to Chicago. If you have personnel driving the buses in the SEPTA Artic and NYCTA 40' bus order from Plattsburgh to these areas, that might be why. The NYCTA order is pretty close for Nova and the SEPTA order, if I understand the TA name, is from Pennsylvania(Philadelphia?). So those deliveries would be closer and quicker to get finished than Chicago, which is farther away. Once a good majority of these orders are delivered, then Nova can send the drivers to Chicago with the Novas and afford to be without them for a few days to allow for travel and I presume a night or two in a hotel/motel before flying back.

Yes it's Pennsylvania. Philly and its suburbs to be exact. SEPTA stands for Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority. It's both a metropolitan and regional TA since it handles transit for all of Philadelphia and its nearby surrounding suburbs. It provides all five major forms of transit: bus, elevated rail and subway, light rail, commuter rail, and streetcar services for the entire Philly metro area and most of the southeast Pennsylvania region.

It also matters what the purchase contracts say regarding penalty clauses. Remember, this is what broke both Flxible and Orion. Too many cases of not being able to fulfill agreed-upon delivery schedules resulting in penalties. One of the worst examples in this area was PACE Orions 6156-6161, which were basically freebees (no cost to PACE) because of late deliveries on the rest of 6000-6155.

When I have  ridden 79XXs it has been on either routes 3 or 4 [from 77th garage].
After all this time I've noticed that some of the buses seem to have a pole mounted stop request button
on the door side near the right wheel well while some do not.

What's up with that?

[sorry I don't have a pic]

It also matters what the purchase contracts say regarding penalty clauses. Remember, this is what broke both Flxible and Orion. Too many cases of not being able to fulfill agreed-upon delivery schedules resulting in penalties. One of the worst examples in this area was PACE Orions 6156-6161, which were basically freebees (no cost to PACE) because of late deliveries on the rest of 6000-6155.

It was my understanding Novabus has until the end of the year to send the 300 buses. So maybe they could squeeze in the 23 buses not yet manufactured by then. I'm sort of surprised some of the #8100's are not here yet, but most likely delivery won't last for more than 2 months once they do start.

Now we can see who gets them. I get a strange feeling Chicago still, but that's still good news for Fg. Ship out those #6400's and ship in some #1000's!!

Yes, sir! More 1000's to be assigned at North Park, Kedzie, 74th, 77th and 103rd. For Forest Glen, more 6400's!!! We hit the jackpot again!!!

Yes, sir! More 1000's to be assigned at North Park, Kedzie, 74th, 77th and 103rd. For Forest Glen, more 6400's!!! We hit the jackpot again!!!

yeah but this time it's different. only 45 #6400's remain at chicago and fg already has the rest so unless buses are coming from calgary they are getting something new at fg.

yeah but this time it's different. only 45 #6400's remain at chicago and fg already has the rest so unless buses are coming from calgary they are getting something new at fg.

Indeed.... they should be here soon in all their non-A/C glory. CAT and Cummins powered.... workhorses that'll get FG passengers to their destinations. All they need is CTA stripes and logos and they're good to go.... the new fleet to come soon....