7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

That would somewhat imply that 77th has artics. Hmm. Anyhow, I've been keeping tabs, but I haven't found #8100, #8102, or #8103 yet. Any idea as to when they enter service?

The photo doesn't Imply that 77th has artIcs but there  may be artIcs at  Shops

True. 77th's buses are mostly stored inside in the 2 barns. There sometimes are a few around the gate at 79th and Wentworth, but this is clearly by the shops building.

This has been the practice for years at CTA for whatever reason. Theres no doubt in my mind this all smells politically motivated!  

Off topic, but not by much, was a report on the WGN Morning News that alderman Arena parked his car in front of a bulldozer because they were closing a street to stick a digital billboard in it facing the Kennedy Expressway and didn't tell him (web version). If that isn't the bottom of the political totem pole, I don't know what is.

8100 assigned Chicago Av as of Fri 7/17/15. 8103 added Mon 7/20/15

As much as I want to say that's bs but to come to think about it, It makes sense, especially the fact that #7900 and #7901 were tested on #65 last year. Don't count Forest Glen out though because Chicago has to forfeit at least 70-75 1000s.

As much as I want to say that's bs but to come to think about it, It makes sense, especially the fact that #7900 and #7901 were tested on #65 last year. Don't count Forest Glen out though because Chicago has to forfeit at least 70-75 1000s.

In my wildest dreams I hope they purge the 1900's they stole from 77th. I know it probably won't happen. 

I pass Forest Graveyard garage a lot on my way home from work. It's so hard to watch. Then at Jeff Park, I see a brand new Eldorado Axess on the 270 next to 2 old beat up Novas. I really was tempted to take a picture and write "Pace respects the NW Side. CTA doesn't". Looks like FG will be an all 1000 series garage very soon. Let's see what happens when the rehab project is over.

8100 assigned Chicago Av as of Fri 7/17/15. 8103 added Mon 7/20/15

Need I say more??? Then they will shitcan all the rest of its 6400 Novas to FG!

True. 77th's buses are mostly stored inside in the 2 barns. There sometimes are a few around the gate at 79th and Wentworth, but this is clearly by the shops building.

Off topic, but not by much, was a report on the WGN Morning News that alderman Arena parked his car in front of a bulldozer because they were closing a street to stick a digital billboard in it facing the Kennedy Expressway and didn't tell him (web version). If that isn't the bottom of the political totem pole, I don't know what is.

With all do respect, alderman Arena was just recently elected to office. Im sure he has a lot of catching up to do. Id like him to see how CTA is ignoring the NW side riders. I plan to talk to him at some point to discuss this issue with him. I don't know how far it will go but its worth a try! Im tired of CTA giving preference to some areas of the city and neglecting other areas. I spoke to a FG operator and friend of mine who I rode on his #56 bus today and asked him about whats going on with CTA shipping its old Novas to FG. He was very pissed off that all the new buses are going to the south side while FG gets the beat up equipment sent there. They are just livid from Im told!  Who could blame them!!!     

Edited by Guest

Saying that Fg will have all #6400's and actually doing it up to full retirement is really unbelievable. I think this is the first time it's happened, but you can say the Blue line's in the same boat. Buses used to be distributed more fairly, I don't know what happened to the current administrations thought patterns here. Wouldn't that really be a shit if all they got was #1000's? But something tells me they'll get some #7900's eventually. They always get stuff last.

6642 was apparently dragged in by a wrecker to FG last Wednesday and was left near the Salt barn. As of Monday it is still there, after efforts to restart it apparently failed. I suppose at some point it will ghet dragged off to S Shops, but usually they do not just get abandoned in the middle of the yard.

About 15 years ago (give or take a few), a mayor of a suburban Philadelphia town blocked a freight line with her car. It not only disrupted freight traffic, but also trolley traffic.

6642 was apparently dragged in by a wrecker to FG last Wednesday and was left near the Salt barn. As of Monday it is still there, after efforts to restart it apparently failed. I suppose at some point it will ghet dragged off to S Shops, but usually they do not just get abandoned in the middle of the yard.

They'll find a way to get it going again.... FG needs those Novas operable for their routes. Otherwise, CTA Brass will have to go to Pete's Used School Bus Emporium to get a fleet of used Thomas Built rear-engine Transit School Buses equipped with Cummins and/or CAT Diesel Engines.

rear engine school buses.jpg

Given CTA history,  it wouldn't surprise me if 77th had to give up its 7900s to FG for 1000s.  

CTA history would be only after 77th wrecked them and got 9200 series Xcelsiors.

... Otherwise, CTA Brass will have to go to Pete's Used School Bus Emporium to get a fleet of used Thomas Built rear-engine Transit School Buses equipped with Cummins and/or CAT Diesel Engines.

I don't think we are yet at the point of the late 1970s RTA/Grumman fiasco, when they did have to get school buses. Anyway, there are 100 new buses on the way, and maybe CTA will be more like 1993 and get some Pace Orion VIs 9_9O.o (references when CTA picked up the CSSMTD/Pace 700s).

They'll find a way to get it going again.... FG needs those Novas operable for their routes. Otherwise, CTA Brass will have to go to Pete's Used School Bus Emporium to get a fleet of used Thomas Built rear-engine Transit School Buses equipped with Cummins and/or CAT Diesel Engines.

rear engine school buses.jpg

Or.....Bobs Country Bunker!!!   Here we are!!! Herers the place!  Bobs Country Bunker???  LOL! :)

They talk about Detroit having buses that needed to be replaced, what about here? Maybe we are Detroit NW!! :P

BTW, I was going over the Chicago roster and they have about 103 #1000 buses that are not #1900's and #2000's. I bet those end up at Fg. But the question is will they continue the wild fluctuations in bus numbers. I mean Fg could conceivably get a bus in each number from #1000's to #1800's!!

Another thing to think about, 74th went from 122 #6400's to 100 #8000's, so I wonder if it's possible Fg could get 100 #1000's, even though Chicago can only get 77 #8100's so far and maybe more than that when Chicago does get the 100 #8100's.

CTA history would be only after 77th wrecked them and got 9200 series Xcelsiors.

I don't think we are yet at the point of the late 1970s RTA/Grumman fiasco, when they did have to get school buses. Anyway, there are 100 new buses on the way, and maybe CTA will be more like 1993 and get some Pace Orion VIs 9_9O.o (references when CTA picked up the CSSMTD/Pace 700s).

Actually, at one point CTA DID run school buses! After the 1969 blizzard, there were so many buses disabled that CTA rented a few yellow perils. Sun-times actually had a photo of one in service on 71st St with a "CTA" window card!

Given CTA history,  it wouldn't surprise me if 77th had to give up its 7900s to FG for 1000s.  

Your statement is not far-fetched either. It's like "deja vu" in that when the 1000 series GMC "new look" fishbowls hit the streets in 1972, 85 (series 1440 - 1524) of the 525 unit order were assigned to 77th street.  That garage didn't have the new additions a good 6 months before a substantial number of them were re-assigned to North Ave garage in exchange for older 3700/3800 series Flxibles.  

Your statement is not far-fetched either. It's like "deja vu" in that when the 1000 series GMC "new look" fishbowls hit the streets in 1972, 85 (series 1440 - 1524) of the 525 unit order were assigned to 77th street.  That garage didn't have the new additions a good 6 months before a substantial number of them were re-assigned to North Ave garage in exchange for older 3700/3800 series Flxibles.  

I don't recall that as much as that 77th got some 1050s from Archer. In any event, the 1972 generation buses were pretty cleared out when 77th got roughly 7660s into the 7700s of the 1973 order.