If I ran Transit for one day...

23 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What would be the purpose of this new convoluted rail line? What new or existing market does it serve that doesn't have adequate existing service? In this proposal, there's no advantage to taking this new line over any N/S CTA route that would run between these stations. The 53 from Armitage or North to Pulaski Pink would be just as fast, if not faster than taking this train line. Same thing goes for taking the 307 from Grand/Fullerton to Cermak, the 54 from Grand to Cermak, the 49 from North to Western Pink.

Additionally, scheduling nightmares with the Blue & Pink Lines aside, the northern/western portion of this route would reclaim the 606, a very popular bike and walking trail that won't just disappear or be subject to eminent domain without a very vocal and powerful lashing out. The section after that, is active freight tracks, and unlike with the Orange Line, there's not really space to purchase ROW to run CTA tracks parallel to them. Also assuming there would be no NIMBY pushback as well.

The way to actually do a proposal would be as follows: An actual proposal for the Pink Line would be an infill station, at say, Madison

• Pros
    • Closer access to United Center
      • Closest walking distance from a CTA station, is currently IMD
    • Direct access to Route 20
    • Closer access to schools and senior living facilities in the area
      • Patrick Sullivan Homes
      • Jesse Spalding School
      • Brown School of Technology
  • Cons
    • Bulk of ridership would be dependent on United Center
    • Competes with Ashland for ridership
      • Also probably competes with IMD for ridership
    • Potential train/bus transfers will be limited due to parallel services
      • No advantage for west side riders to transfer from the 20 at this proposed station vs Washington/Wabash or Washington/Wells for south loop riders and everyone else won't gain or lose walking time to their destination
      • Most riders heading south or north will have switched to other bus routes prior

Something like this, where the rationale is explained, makes it easier for us to understand, and predict what CTA would do (here, a Madison Pink probably isn't on their short list). Despite our butting of heads in the past, @Busjack had a great point about making sure to not just "fill in the lines" and that's effectively what this train line is (really more of a trace, but that's beside the point). Look through some of the other proposals in this thread, see what people have suggested and why

I do think that the proposal is bad.  I agree with you that reclaiming the 606 trail wouldn't be a popular idea, but that routing could bring crowding relief to the heavy Blue Line, assuming pre COVID ridership levels. Scheduling Pink line trains between Blue Line trains is no different than scheduling Purple line trains between Brown line trains. I would tweak the northern terminal to Brickyard Mall and the southern or western terminal to North Riverside Mall.  Both malls are traffic generators and can serve as transit terminals for bus to rail transfers.  I think this would have been  viable years ago, but may be very costly now and, because of the pandemic,  the crowd relief factor in Bucktown and Wicker Park is lost.   Had this been the plan when the Pink Line was conceived. It would have been successful. 

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you like attention. Is that why you post these crazy ideas? If I am not mistaken, CTA stations at Western and Damen were closed years ago due to lack of ridership. Those who live along t

Splitting the Green Line may make sense, but not for the reasons you suggest. As it stands now, the Lake St portion has a healthy ridership, the south side portion not so much. Separating the two wo

Ok... since this is all in fun, this is how I would run the CTA for one day... The Express routes would be restored across the board that were taken away from the service cuts in the past. Buses w

39 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I do think that the proposal is bad.  I agree with you that reclaiming the 606 trail wouldn't be a popular idea, but that routing could bring crowding relief to the heavy Blue Line, assuming pre COVID ridership levels. Scheduling Pink line trains between Blue Line trains is no different than scheduling Purple line trains between Brown line trains. I would tweak the northern terminal to Brickyard Mall and the southern or western terminal to North Riverside Mall.  Both malls are traffic generators and can serve as transit terminals for bus to rail transfers.  I think this would have been  viable years ago, but may be very costly now and, because of the pandemic,  the crowd relief factor in Bucktown and Wicker Park is lost.   Had this been the plan when the Pink Line was conceived. It would have been successful. 

Fair point about the scheduling. I was concerned about the Racine connector since iirc, it's single tracked, and I thought that would cause some issues. Also hadn't thought about crowding relief as well. I think even if the 606 could be reclaimed, the proposal still would've been DOA trying to go past Kimball/Pulaski