CTA Accidents

garmon757

I believe 3171-3172 was part of the Ghost Train Incident of Sept. 30, 2013. This was the less talked about pair compared to the destroyed 3177-3178 pair. While not as badly damaged as 3177-3178, I believe 3171-3172 have been retired from service and will await scrapping.

54th Yard would be a strange place for that.

In fact, since the reports about the welding problems on the 5000s indicated that shop work for the Pink Line was being done at the Lake St. Forest Park shop, 54th's only function seems to be that it has the capacity to store about 60 cars more than it actually has, once the Pink Line was split from the Blue.

So, the cars are undoubtedly on hold, but this doesn't indicate for what.

That would be #3177, they should just scrap it but maybe it has another reason why it's being held.

Since the tarp was placed under NTSB supervision, I'm sure that's who gets the call. It hasn't been said whether that investigation has been completed.*

*The NTSB page indicates only a preliminary report.

I guess you guys missed the report about an open train door on a moving Blue line train.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/passenger-captures-blue-line-train-moving-with-doors-open/117791/

For those of you with the belief that the equipment on the Blue Line is falling apart, I guess you have more evidence.

Neil Steinberg in the Sun-Times has a column about a bus car accident with a predictable outcome.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/steinberg/28175339-452/4-strikes-youre-out-cta-bus-bump-sparks-chain-reaction-of-fear.html#.U6PF1SgvAx5

• First time in a while that the accident was blamed on the CTA.
  • Again establishes the point made in connecetion with the one on South Shore Drive that the camera will tell the tale.
  • Maybe next time he'll take the Underground.

Neil Steinberg in the Sun-Times has a column about a bus car accident with a predictable outcome.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/steinberg/28175339-452/4-strikes-youre-out-cta-bus-bump-sparks-chain-reaction-of-fear.html#.U6PF1SgvAx5

I think the gist of the article is that the bus operator feared being terminated if she was charged with a 4th preventable accident within a 2 year period and that fear caused her to lie and say the other driver was at fault. Of course we don't know if the bus operator actually had any prior accidents, but usually preventable accidents come with some consequence, i.e written warnings and suspensions and up to termination.

Another case when they supposedly rebuilt the tracks recently. They didn't say if the train derailed on its own and sent fasteners to the street, or the track work wasn't any good.

Anyway, I saw the WGN version (on TV, although the web link is here).

The home page has a link to CBS2 that a brake caliper fell off and derailed the next wheel.

I'm not sure where this one happened.

Maybe Lake St. near Garfield Park?

http://www.peopleofthecta.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/10489825_785189748178260_114546889640308105_n.jpg

The area of this accident appears to be near Western Av. and 39th Street (Pershing Road). I say that because of the railroad viaduct column support in the photo; specifically the decorative base at the bottom of the support. That is the only railroad viaduct to my memory that has that kind of column design. Hey, if I'm wrong, I stand to be corrected!! LOL

The area of this accident appears to be near Western Av. and 39th Street (Pershing Road). I say that because of the railroad viaduct column support in the photo; specifically the decorative base at the bottom of the support. That is the only railroad viaduct to my memory that has that kind of column design. Hey, if I'm wrong, I stand to be corrected!! LOL

I think you are right. There is the combination of a Nova (I'm sure one to put on the scrap list, except we can't see the fleet number), and while at first I thought L, it doesn't look like Lake Street, and the viaduct deck indicates that it is a railroad viaduct. The fence in this street view looks similar to the one in the background.

Of course, it doesn't help that the bus's destination signs are off and that the street sign on the traffic signal mast isn't readable.

Apparently the Kedzie crossing racks up its record as the deadliest in the system.

Maybe they can bring Gabe Klein back to tell the operators to stop for bicyclists, as apparently the pavement markings all over the city indicate.

I'm guessing that the "DO NOT STOP ON TRACKS" sign isn't taken seriously over there.

I think you are right. There is the combination of a Nova (I'm sure one to put on the scrap list, except we can't see the fleet number), and while at first I thought L, it doesn't look like Lake Street, and the viaduct deck indicates that it is a railroad viaduct. The fence in this street view looks similar to the one in the background.

Of course, it doesn't help that the bus's destination signs are off and that the street sign on the traffic signal mast isn't readable.

Yeah it does look like rail overpass at Western and Pershing. If it is, then one more 74th based Nova is on the scrap list as Busjack surmised.

• 2 weeks later...

#1148 is back out on the #49 today. I'd be surprised if it wasn't rehabbed.

I was surprised myself when I've spotted it on #67 this past weekend (I totally forgot about the accident) but hey at least I was accurate about the time frame of it being out of service.

• 4 weeks later...