Random Metra

garmon757

14 minutes ago, strictures said:

Doesn't Metra's ticket people know how to correctly print out a ticket that isn't screwed up.

Big deal. Someone used cut and paste from a Sat or Sun ticket.

If you want to get picky, nobody proofreads the WGN weather templates.

15 minutes ago, strictures said:

It reminds me of some specific coupons that Dominick's had for the store on Damen Ave in West Ridge, that had wording that read the coupon was good only at that store & then in smaller print had the words, "Not valid in Texas"!

Unless Cermak Produce accepts it, isn't any good in Illinois, either.

BTW, I lived a block away from there, about 40 years ago.

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

Locomotive 423, formerly on the Milwaukee District, was on the Rock Island today. It looked brand new as if it had been repainted.

Makes me wonder how Milwaukee District got Locomotive #401. Also they got #8582 from BNSF. Union Pacific got #8526 from Milwaukee and surprisingly #8476 from BNSF while Milwaukee also got #8438 from UP. 

1 hour ago, garmon757 said:

Makes me wonder how Milwaukee District got Locomotive #401. Also they got #8582 from BNSF. Union Pacific got #8526 from Milwaukee and surprisingly #8476 from BNSF while Milwaukee also got #8438 from UP. 

401 was originally a BNSF. How it got 401 is that "Ollie Tibbles" (named after the boy who wanted to be a train and died) went on tour. There seem to be some former BNSF (lower 400s) on the Milw., but I really haven't kept track (intentional pun).

The cab signals must be interchangeable (I noted in the Procurement topic that the specs say "the cab signal system had to cover the different signal systems on the BNSF, RI, and various UP lines").

4 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Aren't the UP & Milwaukee coaches interchanged as they share the Western Ave. coach yard?

4 hours ago, strictures said:

Aren't the UP & Milwaukee coaches interchanged as they share the Western Ave. coach yard?

Actually UP uses the yard due west of the Western station while the Milw. uses the one northwest of it (map). .They appear to share the shop, but not the yards.

There has been some interchange of individual cars, like a few 8400s and 6000s showing up on Milw. trains, and Milw. trains no longer having 2 8500s. The NCS originally was UP equipment, but now is Milw. equipment. As noted, this is understandable as various 7400s and 8400s (Amerail) are out of service being rehabbed. Similarly, before the 8500s were received, a former CN&W car would be on the Milw.

It's still the case that UP is predominantly 6000s and 8400s, and Milw is 7200s, 7400s, 8200s, and 8500s.

21 hours ago, Busjack said:

401 was originally a BNSF. How it got 401 is that "Ollie Tibbles" (named after the boy who wanted to be a train and died) went on tour. There seem to be some former BNSF (lower 400s) on the Milw., but I really haven't kept track (intentional pun).

The cab signals must be interchangeable (I noted in the Procurement topic that the specs say "the cab signal system had to cover the different signal systems on the BNSF, RI, and various UP lines").

Initially 401-405 were assigned to the BNSF, 406-412 to the Rock Island and the Milwaukee got the rest. The UP got none as they refused

them since they are too heavy for their yards. Rehabbing has created a little shuffle.

The UP has their own shop in the California Ave yard, with engines being serviced at M19A. Metra shops are at Western Ave on the Milwaukee, 47th Street on the Rock Island and KYD on the Electric. The BN has there shop at the 14th street yard, which also holds the Southwest Service equipment during the day.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On July 29, 2016 at 0:19 AM, Busjack said:

...The cab signals must be interchangeable (I noted in the Procurement topic that the specs say "the cab signal system had to cover the different signal systems on the BNSF, RI, and various UP lines").

I'm not going to say I know this 100% in real life, but in the Train Simulator rendering of Metra, if you turn your head/camera to the back and left while in the cab car, you can see a bit of what looks like a rotating switch that selects what signaling system the cab car should use. I saw markings for BNSF and UP, but the view doesn't show the entire switch, so I couldn't se RI, but I'm just going to assume it's there.

44 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I'm not going to say I know this 100% in real life, but in the Train Simulator rendering of Metra, if you turn your head/camera to the back and left while in the cab car, you can see a bit of what looks like a rotating switch that selects what signaling system the cab car should use. I saw markings for BNSF and UP, but the view doesn't show the entire switch, so I couldn't se RI, but I'm just going to assume it's there.

The specs for the new cars said they had to cover those 2 and RI.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw something today that I have never seen before.   I got caught by a UP freight train this morning about 8: 45.  The train was on the north track backing up.  Of course it eventually stopped.   I knew that a WB Metra should be rolling through as I was on 19th Ave right by the Melrose Park station.   Then another flashing light came on by the sidewalk on the west side of the street.   Then a male voice said something like Caution,  Train Approaching On Another Track, or something to that effect.   It's a good safety feature to warn people of another train approaching on another track, especially if you are in a position where the first train may be stopped but is blocking your vision.  Nothing will eliminate total stupidity,  but if it can help reduce fatalities at RR crossings,  it's a good idea. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I saw something today that I have never seen before.   I got caught by a UP freight train this morning about 8: 45.  The train was on the north track backing up.  Of course it eventually stopped.   I knew that a WB Metra should be rolling through as I was on 19th Ave right by the Melrose Park station.   Then another flashing light came on by the sidewalk on the west side of the street.   Then a male voice said something like Caution,  Train Approaching On Another Track, or something to that effect.   It's a good safety feature to warn people of another train approaching on another track, especially if you are in a position where the first train may be stopped but is blocking your vision.  Nothing will eliminate total stupidity,  but if it can help reduce fatalities at RR crossings,  it's a good idea. 

They installed several of those along the UPW a few years ago. I've seen the digital signs but didn't realize they have audio announcements as well. This is definitely a good way to get people's attention, since a lot of people become complacent and don't bother to look before they cross the tracks.

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

They installed several of those along the UPW a few years ago. I've seen the digital signs but didn't realize they have audio announcements as well. This is definitely a good way to get people's attention, since a lot of people become complacent and don't bother to look before they cross the tracks.

Thanks for the link.   Which reminds me,  when, if ever,  will UP build a third track to go through Maywood and Melrose Park?   At least 25th Avenue will no longer have to suffer through train yard gridlock. However,  the 313 (and thus the interlining 309) suffers horrendous delays along with the 303.  Though the third track won't alleviate Pace delays,  it would improve Metra UP West's EB on time performance.   That freight train and the WB Metra caused the EB train to be at least 20 minutes late.    Other than rush period trains,  EB UP West trains were always at least 15 minutes late.   

19 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Thanks for the link.   Which reminds me,  when, if ever,  will UP build a third track to go through Maywood and Melrose Park?   At least 25th Avenue will no longer have to suffer through train yard gridlock. However,  the 313 (and thus the interlining 309) suffers horrendous delays along with the 303.  Though the third track won't alleviate Pace delays,  it would improve Metra UP West's EB on time performance.   That freight train and the WB Metra caused the EB train to be at least 20 minutes late.    Other than rush period trains,  EB UP West trains were always at least 15 minutes late.   

Maybe an underpass on 25th ave under the tracks? I bet it's more complex than that.

11 hours ago, juelzkellz said:

Maybe an underpass on 25th ave under the tracks? I bet it's more complex than that.

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

As I thought, that is already under construction.

Which I inferred when I said at least 25th Avenue wouldn't have to suffer from the gridlock.   My hope was that a third main track would help EB UP West trains run closer to the scheduled times. 

18 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Which I inferred when I said at least 25th Avenue wouldn't have to suffer from the gridlock.   My hope was that a third main track would help EB UP West trains run closer to the scheduled times. 

That gets down to Metra got New Start funds for the NCS and Elburn extension directly in aid of Metra even though spent on private railroads, but even if such programs still exist, the aid to Metra, as opposed to freight would have to be shown. It looks as though CREATE priorities are elsewhere.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:04 AM, Pace831 said:

You could put signs up with disco balls spinning overhead..... people don't read. Case in point:

We had an issue with one of our restrooms not working, so we put an "OUT OF ORDER; USE RESTROOM NEXT DOOR" sign up. I've had people come to me and say "You know your toilet isn't flushing, right?"

To put it back into perspectives of trains and pedestrians or vehicles, cars and pedestrians alike ignore down gates, flashing bells and clanging bells. What makes you think a LED light like this with audio alerts will help with prevention?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sw4400 said:

To put it back into perspectives of trains and pedestrians or vehicles, cars and pedestrians alike ignore down gates, flashing bells and clanging bells. What makes you think a LED light like this with audio alerts will help with prevention?

People tend to become complacent, expecting to follow the same routine. If you watch a group of pedestrians at a crossing, odds are most of them start walking across the tracks as soon as the last car of the train clears, before the gate has even begun to go up. Many Metra commuters wouldn't even consider the possibility of another train coming. Average Joe crosses the same tracks every night on his way home from work, following the same routine each day, so why would today be any different? The sound of "Danger! Another train coming" breaks Joe out of his trance. It interrupts the routine he's become accustomed to, making him think that maybe today he should wait.

People who intentionally disregard warnings won't necessarily be deterred by these devices, but that isn't the intent of this system.

The only downside is the issue of people becoming too dependent on active warning devices. They really aren't a substitute for "Look, Listen, and Live".

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...