Random Metra

garmon757

12 hours ago, MRChiCity said:

It was explained in the article. She might not have her head screwed on, but you could have read her explanation.

13 hours ago, MRChiCity said:

Sounds like she has very poor judgment. What caught my attention is the article says she was charged with failing to stop at the crossing, but not leaving the scene of an accident. (Maybe she was or will be, it doesn't say).

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, richii0909 said:

I love how metra lies... I’m on train 816 now and we are clearly waiting for other trains due to track construction... we are not accommodating boarding passengers. Why do they skew the truth??

Somebody in the control center has to enter the reason for the delay. A lot of the time they probably just guess rather than communicate with the train crew.

The most egregious example I've seen was a train to Manhattan held at 179th for 40 minutes, waiting for a northbound inspection train to clear. The reason listed was "switch problems".

Thanks guys... but here is the kicker that I forgot to tell you.. onboard system said once "This train is operating 12 minutes late due to track construction". Also... station platform messages said that outbound train was operating 10-15 minutes late due to track construction.. so they clearly know what's going on. Any hoot thanks for your input guys ill note it for future issues. Although I really think they should have a new message for Station construction.. they use track construction instead.. example calumet station and one track between home wood to hazel crest

2 hours ago, richii0909 said:

Got to ride on UP North car 8260.... an old car but I had no idea it had a small bathroom.

C567DC76-A277-4413-B70E-BD6BE55AD6E5.jpeg

Geez, that interior... And I thought I was joking when I called them the ugly Budds. :ph34r:

Also the Pullman cars have small bathrooms as well, however they seem to be locked up most of the time.

2 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Geez, that interior... And I thought I was joking when I called them the ugly Budds. :ph34r:

Also the Pullman cars have small bathrooms as well, however they seem to be locked up most of the time.

Just about all cars acquired around that time (except electrics) had bathrooms,  but they were small because there wasn't the ADA then. 

14 hours ago, Busjack said:

Just about all cars acquired around that time (except electrics) had bathrooms,  but they were small because there wasn't the ADA then. 

Yeah, they’re not even used by train crews because they’re so small. Just love listening to the conductors response after someone in a Pullman asks if there’s a bathroom in the car. “It’s not worth it, just go to the next car.” :P

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, richii0909 said:

LOL well this is true bus jack!!! Have you heard any details on the University Park construction? Heard it will be down for about 2 days.. was curious if its regular maintenance or something more grand

They are replacing ties from Kensington to University Park on track 2. Saturday and Sunday, September 30 and October 1, the line will end at Richton Park while they are replacing the ties on the single track. There will be NO bus service. I believe the plan is to close UP on Saturday the 6th also.

1 hour ago, trainman8119 said:

They are replacing ties from Kensington to University Park on track 2. Saturday and Sunday, September 30 and October 1, the line will end at Richton Park while they are replacing the ties on the single track. There will be NO bus service. I believe the plan is to close UP on Saturday the 6th also.

Official announcement.

PTC sounds like it is.They said BNSF first. I  hope it isn't something someone other than authorized crews can log into, as your picture indicates, if it is a login like on my Arris wifi modem, as opposed to the login on the first browser screen.

On what train line was it?

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

PTC sounds like it is.They said BNSF first. I  hope it isn't something someone other than authorized crews can log into, as your picture indicates, if it is a login like on my Arris wifi modem, as opposed to the login on the first browser screen.

On what train line was it?

The wifi MetraPTC (once clicked it renders an user name and login but does not launch a browser session) This is common when wifi is enabled with RADIUS server or WPA-2 Enterprise . RADIUS is very secure and controlled wifi access no need to worry even if you had the password you would need a device certificate.

This was on the Electric District.... the wifi was only in the under ground platform...  I wonder if the wifi is to do an initial download to PTC computer on train and then use wayside radios along the way until the end of the line then back to wifi for update/download. This could save metra money.. instead of equipping each train with cellular cards etc.

I did pull the Cisco System PTC control and the locomotive side actually has multiple ways to connect to the system. Also, it appears the PTC can do much more than PTC. Once its setup it can be used as a communications network that can do some pretty interesting things. I know metra uses GPS computers on trains and these must have some sort of cellular connections for announcement system as GPS center can talk directly through the PA system onboard. More than likely they are recording a message and then the message is downloaded to the trains GPS/announcement system. With PTC you can now use the wayside equipment to relay information like that or even use it to view live security video in a sense. It sounds like the PTC network will be more robust and handier than initially thought of. Take a look at this article

ptc-aag.pdf

19 hours ago, richii0909 said:

The wifi MetraPTC (once clicked it renders an user name and login but does not launch a browser session)

I meant the opposite as a general proposition (i.e. will your email connect before you open your browser) but since that is irrelevant to this application and I don't know the technical details of it, I'll take a pass.