Random Metra

garmon757

4 hours ago, richii0909 said:

The Tennesse RTA has got to be using some of the oldest cab cars!!!

4 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I knew  those cars looked familiar.   Those are former Metra cars.  They look like 7800s.

Strange that they painted the loco to match the preexisting Metra scheme. Metra never did.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Easier to paint the locos.  In Metra's case, what matches silver ribbed supposedly stainless steel cars?  

Nothing until the current stupid color scheme for the reacquired cars.

My point was the C&NW cars after the last repaint, while I guess yours was the other cars.

Has the Metra electric been having any problems lately? I took it twice this past weekend, and two separate issues occured:

1) In service train did not stop at 79th/SoShore, had passengers on it and all. Schedule didn't indicate that the stop was supposed to be skipped and I don't recall the SoShore branch having flag stops.

2) Boarding was called for the last Blue Island train of the day (5pm dpt, Sat) on Track 2. Minutes later, we're told its on track 3. The train on track 2 left at 5:01pm, completely empty, while the train on Track 3 continued to sit. At 5:06pm, I went to ask about the delay and apparently the train on Track 2 was the Blue Island. Lady at the desk had no reasons as to why this happened. My mother and I were fine (only riding to 75th & SoChicago), but the other 5 folks on the train needed to go to Blue Island (I gave them directions to LaSalle St Station).

This is only significant, because aside from minor expected delays, I can't recall ME having serious issues like that as a on-again, off-again rider. Maybe its just me? Or just that weekend?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Has the Metra electric been having any problems lately? I took it twice this past weekend, and two separate issues occured:

1) In service train did not stop at 79th/SoShore, had passengers on it and all. Schedule didn't indicate that the stop was supposed to be skipped and I don't recall the SoShore branch having flag stops.

2) Boarding was called for the last Blue Island train of the day (5pm dpt, Sat) on Track 2. Minutes later, we're told its on track 3. The train on track 2 left at 5:01pm, completely empty, while the train on Track 3 continued to sit. At 5:06pm, I went to ask about the delay and apparently the train on Track 2 was the Blue Island. Lady at the desk had no reasons as to why this happened. My mother and I were fine (only riding to 75th & SoChicago), but the other 5 folks on the train needed to go to Blue Island (I gave them directions to LaSalle St Station).

This is only significant, because aside from minor expected delays, I can't recall ME having serious issues like that as a on-again, off-again rider. Maybe its just me? Or just that weekend?

Question about #2.  Was this at Randolph or Van Buren? 

On 8/19/2018 at 10:32 AM, Busjack said:

BTW did NS make good on the cars Metra said it owed them (damages for delay and not honoring the assignment of the VRE options)?

7 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

Nothing came in after 1385-86

My understanding was that they were supposed to be diesel train cars. But maybe the negotiations fell  through.

The closure may also affect the current RFP for new cars (basically to get a price), but it might resolve as the arrangement of the prime contractor Sumitomo dealing with a U.S. assembler, such as Super Steel.

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

My understanding was that they were supposed to be diesel train cars. But maybe the negotiations fell  through.

The closure may also affect the current RFP for new cars (basically to get a price), but it might resolve as the arrangement of the prime contractor Sumitomo dealing with a U.S. assembler, such as Super Steel.

NS did supply 6193 and 6194 in 2008 as penalty cars.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently in the news. Metra isn't proposing a  fare increase for  2019. But service cuts could loom.  They haven't  laid out any plans yet.

Heritage Corridor and North Central  Service are the two lines with the lowest ridership.  If Heritage were to be completely cut, the new Romeoville  station would have been  built for naught.

In this scenario. Metra can't  ignore ME South Chicago   Blue Island, and Kensington local service.  People can say what they want, but Metra doesn't have the  money to keep  waistin6 playing politics.  

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

In this scenario. Metra can't  ignore ME South Chicago   Blue Island, and Kensington local service.  People can say what they want, but Metra doesn't have the  money to keep  waistin6 playing politics.  

Is there controversy surrounding this? Personally, I can only say that it's been at least twice within the last 4 months that ME has sent empty Blue Island trains from Randolph because they apparently can't keep track of which train is on which track, but was there other issues with the ME?

8 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

The claim of "closing a line" sounds like posturing more than anything. 

Obviously, Metra is only making a political statement, since a balanced budget has to be sent to the RTA around Oct. 15, but, any "state money" could only come in a state budget effective July 1,2019 (if then). As a couple of years ago, when the RTA told all 3 service boards to raise fares, and CTA faked around not submitting a budget until the budget disclosed that it was working in cooperation with the RTA, Metra is going to have to submit a budget that is balanced with existing revenues, not this.

12 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Heritage Corridor and North Central  Service are the two lines with the lowest ridership.  If Heritage were to be completely cut, the new Romeoville  station would have been  built for naught.

If the 2 lines are cut, Metra would have to pay back a lot of federal money. Not sure about the source of funding for the Romeoville station, but the NCS New Start was federal money and probably has a 35 year service life.

Back to the posturing point, this is probably a ploy to get the riders to contact their legislators, but compared to Doomsdays of 10 years ago, will be even less effective, given the current dysfunction in the legislature.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

If the 2 lines are cut, Metra would have to pay back a lot of federal money. Not sure about the source of funding for the Romeoville station, but the NCS New Start was federal money and probably has a 35 year service life.

Would the need to pay back federal money only be true if all NCS service was cut, or could they (for example) make it rush hour only? It brings to mind the controversy of how there were supposed to be 24 trains, but CN wouldn’t allow the additional round trip.

Metra press release says Romeoville Station was “primarily” funded by CMAQ grant

I do agree that drastic cuts probably won’t happen, and is similar to when they threatened to shut down so the PTC deadline would be extended. Some cuts to off-peak service might be expected, but I don’t think the HC would be cut except possibly the 2:45 train.

2 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Would the need to pay back federal money only be true if all NCS service was cut, or could they (for example) make it rush hour only? It brings to mind the controversy of how there were supposed to be 24 trains, but CN wouldn’t allow the additional round trip.

I don't know if there would have to be total abandonment, but the feds didn't pay for the expansion just to give CN a second track.

You answered the question about the Romeoville station. Those funds would have to be paid back.