Random Metra

garmon757

7 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

My train...109 to Antioch, and I think you caught me walking up to the front with my cup of coffee for the ride home (about 2 cars back).

What I notice from that photo is that the baggage platform at Union Station is level with the bottom step of the coaches, while the passenger platforms are a long step up.  The same at Ogilvie & LaSalle.

That makes no sense, as except for the through tracks at Union, no oversized equipment is going through the other stations, which are all stub end terminals.  Metra needs to raise the platforms at Ogilvie & LaSalle & demand that Amtrak do the same at Union.  Not only would that be safer, although high level boarding is the best, but it would also speed up unloading at the terminals.

31 minutes ago, strictures said:

What I notice from that photo is that the baggage platform at Union Station is level with the bottom step of the coaches, while the passenger platforms are a long step up.  The same at Ogilvie & LaSalle.

That makes no sense, as except for the through tracks at Union, no oversized equipment is going through the other stations, which are all stub end terminals.  Metra needs to raise the platforms at Ogilvie & LaSalle & demand that Amtrak do the same at Union.  Not only would that be safer, although high level boarding is the best, but it would also speed up unloading at the terminals.

I think the platform being level with the bottom step (if that's what I think you were asking for) would mess up peoples natural step rhythm. They're already expecting to step up to board the train, and currently it works/looks like a pair of stairs (with a gap). Change it, and I think it might be worse. Happy to be wrong, however

12 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I think the platform being level with the bottom step (if that's what I think you were asking for) would mess up peoples natural step rhythm. They're already expecting to step up to board the train, and currently it works/looks like a pair of stairs (with a gap). Change it, and I think it might be worse. Happy to be wrong, however

It won't mess up anyone's step rhythm, in fact, it would be safer with the tens of thousands that go through the stub terminals daily.

All that will happen is they get to the bottom step & go right onto the raised platform.

23 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

Actually the bottom stair is lower than the baggage platform at CUS. I am sure there is some logical reason for this, I just don’t know what it is. Same with the passenger platforms. It’s railroad and commuter operations not the L so platforms are what they are.

In the days of long distance trains which Union station was built for the baggage platform height matched the floor level of the baggage cars allowing baggage carts to be easily moved in and out of the baggage car. They were never designed to be used with Metra bi-levels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

So if 2 teens were hit the what happened to the 2nd one if the 1st one got killed and the 3rd one was ok or is the 2nd one the one who they are searching for

There were four teens who were trespassing on railroad property. Three were on the bridge when the train came and a fourth was coming up the embankment toward the track. Of the three on the bridge, one escaped harm, one was confirmed to have been killed, and one is missing. It is not yet clear whether the missing person was hit by the train or jumped off the bridge in an attempt to avoid it.

6 hours ago, Pace831 said:

There were four teens who were trespassing on railroad property. Three were on the bridge when the train came and a fourth was coming up the embankment toward the track. Of the three on the bridge, one escaped harm, one was confirmed to have been killed, and one is missing. It is not yet clear whether the missing person was hit by the train or jumped off the bridge in an attempt to avoid it.

It’s saying that 2 teens have been hit by the train

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, John7 said:

Im just hoping metra purchase at least 1 of either an f125 or a mp54ac. (Even though i know that the money will be used to buy the new railcars and to rehab older locomotives)

I don't think they would go for the F125. Those have had nothing but constant issues during their time on Metrolink. This past winter they had some parts freeze up and some BNSF units were brought in to run trains. So probably either the SC-44 or MP54.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, WCR said:

I don't think they would go for the F125. Those have had nothing but constant issues during their time on Metrolink. This past winter they had some parts freeze up and some BNSF units were brought in to run trains. So probably either the SC-44 or MP54.

My bet is SC-44. No major issues so far, and I know from experience they've done well on the MARC train. Unfortunately, Metra, doesn't have much else to directly compare to, the MARC train is the only commuter rail system to have them so far (ACE should be receiving theirs this December), everything else is medium-haul and/or intercity

1 hour ago, John7 said:

I doubt they'd buy Siemens chargers. Since most of their equipment is for EMD locomotives.

They can’t immediately be out of the race though, considering how much of a hot mess the F125 is turning out to be for LA’s Metrolink. Buying history doesn’t mean much when the times and products change. As we all know the workhorse F40PH is no longer in production, and even though the fleet for Metra is aging, they are still most likely to zoom past a broken down F125. Even Metra’s RTA friends at the CTA are switching builders for the new 7000 series railcars, and over in New York City, Bombardier is flat out banned from producing the upcoming order of subway cars after their many issues with the current order. I wouldn’t take Siemens out of the race just yet, but we’ll see what happens.

2 hours ago, John7 said:

I doubt they'd buy Siemens chargers. Since most of their equipment is for EMD locomotives.

Not a lot of options for passenger locomotives on the market? Off the top of my head, I can think of

• F125 - that's a no go
  • BL36PH - I haven't seen any other agency purchase these
  • HSP-46 - Had issues their entire service life
  • MP54AC - Pretty much the only other viable option that isn't SC-44