Random Metra

garmon757

As indicated by the IDOT report stating that 325 would be affected, but that became 303 which runs on 19th Ave. I wonder if the detour will cause any congestion and what purports to be downtown Melrose Park (19th Ave. south of Lake).

That's a good question. I'm not sure if Pace can make some minor adjustments with 303's schedule but I do have a feeling that 19th Ave will be congested due to the fact that it's one lane between Melrose Park Metra and Lake Street. In the meantime, this project is a good idea, especially when motorists don't have to worry about taking Lake Street or St. Charles to Mannheim Road just to go over stalled trains. There was a proposal of Bellwood Metra Station being relocated to 25th Avenue but that got killed, especially when 325 was no longer in service.

• 3 weeks later...

A week or two ago, I had the chance to ride the UP-W line from Central Dupage Hospital in to the city. I noted the following:

Around Bellwood, our train got delayed for about 20 minutes due to freight train interference. I see freight trains passing through Oak Park all the time, but I didn't know they had an impact on this Metra line. There seemed to be a line of freight trains waiting on the middle track when I was riding in, with Metra trains using the outer two tracks.

After the delay, our train seemed to shift over to what was the outbound track, and passed Melrose Park's outbound platform before shifting back to the inbound track. Considering that the train stopped at Kedzie later on, I'm not sure why Melrose Park was skipped, though it might have been to make up for the delay.

I saw a couple of Pullmans coupled together in a yard around Kedzie or Western, and one of them was the six window version (the other ones were four windows). This got me wondering about how Metra assigns its cars...

A week or two ago, I had the chance to ride the UP-W line from Central Dupage Hospital in to the city. I noted the following:

Around Bellwood, our train got delayed for about 20 minutes due to freight train interference. I see freight trains passing through Oak Park all the time, but I didn't know they had an impact on this Metra line. There seemed to be a line of freight trains waiting on the middle track when I was riding in, with Metra trains using the outer two tracks.

After the delay, our train seemed to shift over to what was the outbound track, and passed Melrose Park's outbound platform before shifting back to the inbound track. Considering that the train stopped at Kedzie later on, I'm not sure why Melrose Park was skipped, though it might have been to make up for the delay.

I saw a couple of Pullmans coupled together in a yard around Kedzie or Western, and one of them was the six window version (the other ones were four windows). This got me wondering about how Metra assigns its cars...

Hey, you've passed my mom's and sister's houses in Bellwood!!!! :lol::P What time was it when your train got delayed since you mentioned that it skipped Melrose Park??? You're going to see quite a few Pullmans along UP Lines all the time until they're retired! :)

The UP West Line has one of the more ridiculous schedules.

Most of the non rush & reverse rush trains skip stop station like Maywood & Melrose Park. So one train skips Maywood & stops at Melrose Park, & the next does the reverse.

But the Maywood stop is at Fifth Ave., which is the only N/S Pace bus route there, which runs every 30 minutes during the week & has Loyola Hospital, Hines Hospital, Triton College & can link you to O'Hare by the Blue Line at Rosemont.

Just total incompetence on both Metra & Pace in not co-ordinating schedules.

Hey, you've passed my mom's and sister's houses in Bellwood!!!! :lol::P What time was it when your train got delayed since you mentioned that it skipped Melrose Park??? You're going to see quite a few Pullmans along UP Lines all the time until they're retired! :)

Funny! :P I looked at the schedule again and the train was actually supposed to pass Melrose Park. My train left Winfield at 3:49 and was supposed to get to Ogilvie at 4:50. As for the actual delay time, I'm not sure. Strictures is correct about how those trains alternate skipping Melrose Park and Maywood.

As for the Pullmans, I rode on one about a year ago. I just didn't know Metra had more of them in a yard. :ph34r: The UP-W line is cool for looking at things along the line, at least more exciting than the UP-NW line!

Funny! :P I looked at the schedule again and the train was actually supposed to pass Melrose Park. My train left Winfield at 3:49 and was supposed to get to Ogilvie at 4:50. As for the actual delay time, I'm not sure. Strictures is correct about how those trains alternate skipping Melrose Park and Maywood.

As for the Pullmans, I rode on one about a year ago. I just didn't know Metra had more of them in a yard. :ph34r: The UP-W line is cool for looking at things along the line, at least more exciting than the UP-NW line!

You want dull? Ride the UP North,

Heritage is interesting though. Goes past an oil refinery & the Argo corn starch plant, which has its own locomotives.

• Upvote 1

Most of the non rush & reverse rush trains skip stop station like Maywood & Melrose Park. So one train skips Maywood & stops at Melrose Park, & the next does the reverse.

But the Maywood stop is at Fifth Ave., which is the only N/S Pace bus route there, which runs every 30 minutes during the week & has Loyola Hospital, Hines Hospital, Triton College & can link you to O'Hare by the Blue Line at Rosemont.

I don't think 331 and 303 were designed to meet Metra trains, and vice versa. Pace's foci is at the transit points, and the train stations is an afterthought.

You want dull? Ride the UP North,

Heritage is interesting though. Goes past an oil refinery & the Argo corn starch plant, which has its own locomotives.

How could the UP North line be dull Are you kidding me??? Some of the best scenery youll see on any Metra line and you end your trip by connecting with PCCs in Kenosha!!! I live along the NW line which still operate the old Pullman bilevels from the CNW/Rock Island days. But I love riding the North line because of the interesting scenery, its beautiful stations along the line, not to mention you can still view remnants of the old Chicago North Shore/Milwaukee railroad (Shore Line Route) which once ran alongside todays UP North line and just imagining the interurbans that once ran along that line. Many of the station footings are still there along the old right of way, most of it a bike path today! Near Fort Sheridan on Westleigh Rd. you can still see portions of a station that once stood there as well as the concrete staircase leading up to the old station as well as the CNSM lettering (Chicago/Milwaukee)carved on the highway overpass.

I hate the skip stop service at night, especially when I used to live in Bellwood. I normally take UP-W train no. 71 (10:40 PM departure from Ogilvie) to Oak Park just to transfer to 318 (changes to 317 after arriving to Forest Park @ 11:10 PM) just to get home. On occasions, I used to take train no. 69 (9:40 PM), 73 (11:40 PM), and 511 (8:40 PM weekends) to Melrose Park due to the fact that it was a 3/4 of a mile walk to the house via 19th Avenue. It's 1.7 miles between Bellwood Station and my mom's house. That's why I don't get off at that station (except when I have my bike and/or I take the last train (no. 11 @ 12:40 AM due to the fact that 317 stops operating after 12:23 AM (12:35 AM on Sunday's). I enjoyed looking at the Pullmans since I was a kid, especially seeing them blasting through the west side.
  • Upvote 1

I haven't rode on that line in 6 years. I used to be on the RTA Circuit Breaker Program (Ride Free) and I decided to check that line out just for the hell of it! :lol: I really enjoyed it and the oil refineries looks awesome at night. I was like holy s--t!!!! I used a speedometer on my phone and I've clocked the top speed at 83 mph (between Lemont and Lockport)! It was worth the 50 minute ride to Joliet even though I had to take a Rock Island train back downtown! :lol:

How could the UP North line be dull Are you kidding me??? Some of the best scenery youll see on any Metra line and you end your trip by connecting with PCCs in Kenosha!!! I live along the NW line which still operate the old Pullman bilevels from the CNW/Rock Island days. But I love riding the North line because of the interesting scenery, its beautiful stations along the line, not to mention you can still view remnants of the old Chicago North Shore/Milwaukee railroad (Shore Line Route) which once ran alongside todays UP North line and just imagining the interurbans that once ran along that line. Many of the station footings are still there along the old right of way, most of it a bike path today! Near Fort Sheridan on Westleigh Rd. you can still see portions of a station that once stood there as well as the concrete staircase leading up to the old station as well as the CNSM lettering (Chicago/Milwaukee)carved on the highway overpass.

The Pullman bilevels show up on all the UP & Milwaukee lines, as all of them get their coaches from the now combined Western Ave. coach yards. I used to ride the Green Bay Trail bike path & saw the concrete bases for the North Shore Line platforms. The trail uses the stairs at Winnetka Ave. to up up to it. I also saw last year, they opened up the fence at Winnetka & Hubbard Woods so trail users could access the Metra stations there.

It was way more interesting when the Evanston/Mayfair Cutoff was still in use & I saw the entire fleet of 2400 series L cars delivered that way from North Ave. to the Skokie Shops.

I even saw 2401-2402 sitting on the Summerdale Team track behind the buildings on Wolcott. I still remember having to wait for the gondolas carrying scrap out of Tempel Steel crossing Wolcott north of Balmoral, which the UP or C&NW abandoned years ago. The crossbuck along with the rails in the street are still there though & I've thought of getting a souvenir at times. I live a block from the tracks in Rogers Park & ride my bike that way all the time.

But it's still dull, except for the freight yard at North Ave. & by Abbott.

I haven't rode on that line in 6 years. I used to be on the RTA Circuit Breaker Program (Ride Free) and I decided to check that line out just for the hell of it! :lol: I really enjoyed it and the oil refineries looks awesome at night. I was like holy s--t!!!! I used a speedometer on my phone and I've clocked the top speed at 83 mph (between Lemont and Lockport)! It was worth the 50 minute ride to Joliet even though I had to take a Rock Island train back downtown! :lol:

Now the FRA is going to go after Metra's engineers for that excessive speed, since 79MPH is the max without ATC.

Now the FRA is going to go after Metra's engineers for that excessive speed, since 79MPH is the max without ATC.

I think there's some leniency about that. I've seen other lines like Rock Island clocking 81 mph between LaSalle and Gresham (before 35th/Lou Jones Station was opened) and BNSF about 80-82 mph. I can see if they were going over 85 mph then hell yeah, that's a problem. Hell, UP-W can't even clock 75 mph except for express trains like train no. 55 (my favorite one when I go out to Wheaton).

I think there's some leniency about that. I've seen other lines like Rock Island clocking 81 mph between LaSalle and Gresham (before 35th/Lou Jones Station was opened) and BNSF about 80-82 mph. I can see if they were going over 85 mph then hell yeah, that's a problem. Hell, UP-W can't even clock 75 mph except for express trains like train no. 55 (my favorite one when I go out to Wheaton).

The max speed I've measured on the UP-N has been 74 & only for a few seconds on trains that run from Clybourn to Rogers Park, skipping Ravenswood.

Eventually I'll get an app and get some speeds on the UP-NW, but I'm sure other forum members have done so, and I have noted areas where the trains get up to a decent speed on that line.

I hate the skip stop service at night, especially when I used to live in Bellwood. I normally take UP-W train no. 71 (10:40 PM departure from Ogilvie) to Oak Park just to transfer to 318 (changes to 317 after arriving to Forest Park @ 11:10 PM) just to get home. On occasions, I used to take train no. 69 (9:40 PM), 73 (11:40 PM), and 511 (8:40 PM weekends) to Melrose Park due to the fact that it was a 3/4 of a mile walk to the house via 19th Avenue. It's 1.7 miles between Bellwood Station and my mom's house. That's why I don't get off at that station (except when I have my bike and/or I take the last train (no. 11 @ 12:40 AM due to the fact that 317 stops operating after 12:23 AM (12:35 AM on Sunday's). I enjoyed looking at the Pullmans since I was a kid, especially seeing them blasting through the west side.

That sounds like a lot of work...

The max speed I've measured on the UP-N has been 74 & only for a few seconds on trains that run from Clybourn to Rogers Park, skipping Ravenswood.

Eventually I'll get an app and get some speeds on the UP-NW, but I'm sure other forum members have done so, and I have noted areas where the trains get up to a decent speed on that line.

That sounds like a lot of work...

I find MD-W and UP-N are the slowest ones of all (ME doesn't count). SWS seems to be very tricky due to the fact that it's operated along with heavy freight (CSX and Northern Suffolk). MD-N speeds are very solid, especially between Glenview and Ingleside. NCS don't run as fast due to the fact that half of the line is operated with only one track. UP-NW runs very fast, especially along Northwest Highway (US-14). I once rode train no. 603 to McHenry just to enjoy an adventure even though I only had 9 minutes to get back on the same train (no. 632) or I would've been stranded out there. I think it only went 55-60 mph because of the grade I'm guessing or it only has one track.

I find MD-W and UP-N are the slowest ones of all (ME doesn't count). SWS seems to be very tricky due to the fact that it's operated along with heavy freight (CSX and Northern Suffolk). MD-N speeds are very solid, especially between Glenview and Ingleside. NCS don't run as fast due to the fact that half of the line is operated with only one track. UP-NW runs very fast, especially along Northwest Highway (US-14). I once rode train no. 603 to McHenry just to enjoy an adventure even though I only had 9 minutes to get back on the same train (no. 632) or I would've been stranded out there. I think it only went 55-60 mph because of the grade I'm guessing or it only has one track.

I was at Olgilvie a year or so ago & the board had a "Manager's Special" up on the track assignment board. Express to Crystal Lake, no stops!

I really wanted to take it for the hell of it, but I had appointments that day I had to get to.

Before riding the UP-W line, I was concerned that the short distances between stations would not allow the trains to get up to a decent speed. Boy was I wrong. We had good speed throughout the line. I'd say about 40 MPH in some places or faster, aside from the delay I mentioned earlier.

I think you're right about the McHenry branch. I've driven across the track the train probably uses. Notice that I said track. :P Also the McHenry Station was pretty dead looking when I passed it a few times.

McHenry branch is only one track, and occasionally an Executive Director on it. :wacko:

I thought that was closer around Crystal Lake or closer to Chicago. :ph34r: Well at least he didn't disrupt more trains.

I was at Olgilvie a year or so ago & the board had a "Manager's Special" up on the track assignment board. Express to Crystal Lake, no stops!

I really wanted to take it for the hell of it, but I had appointments that day I had to get to.

I hope they do that again. I'm assuming anyone could have got on?

The Pullman bilevels show up on all the UP & Milwaukee lines, as all of them get their coaches from the now combined Western Ave. coach yards. I used to ride the Green Bay Trail bike path & saw the concrete bases for the North Shore Line platforms. The trail uses the stairs at Winnetka Ave. to up up to it. I also saw last year, they opened up the fence at Winnetka & Hubbard Woods so trail users could access the Metra stations there.

It was way more interesting when the Evanston/Mayfair Cutoff was still in use & I saw the entire fleet of 2400 series L cars delivered that way from North Ave. to the Skokie Shops.

I even saw 2401-2402 sitting on the Summerdale Team track behind the buildings on Wolcott. I still remember having to wait for the gondolas carrying scrap out of Tempel Steel crossing Wolcott north of Balmoral, which the UP or C&NW abandoned years ago. The crossbuck along with the rails in the street are still there though & I've thought of getting a souvenir at times. I live a block from the tracks in Rogers Park & ride my bike that way all the time.

But it's still dull, except for the freight yard at North Ave. & by Abbott.

Reading your staement it doesn't sound dull I guess!

That would be a hard thing to do as the overspeed will kick in once the train goes over 79 MPH. If the engineer doesn't apply the brake in 10 seconds, the train will go into emergency. It's true, I've had it happen, a couple of times.

• Upvote 1

That would be a hard thing to do as the overspeed will kick in once the train goes over 79 MPH. If the engineer doesn't apply the brake in 10 seconds, the train will go into emergency. It's true, I've had it happen, a couple of times.

I had a great feeling that you was going to tell us some great information about that! Thanks man!

I wonder who came up with the speed limit as 79 mph. Why not just say 80???

Maywood and Melrose Park have ample service that connects to CTA L services. Metra riDer ship in those areas don't justify any more service