Random Metra

garmon757

Remembering the 79 MPH thing, was that Metra or Amtrak? I just realized that MARC trains are authorized for 125 mph, 129 mph max speeds, which makes that the fastest in the US if I remember correctly.

Maybe railroad.net has the answer.

If MARC is running 125, it would have to be certified as high speed rail. Acela could be, but I doubt that a commuter railroad is.

Acela top speed is 150 mph between Boston and New Haven and 135 mph between New York and Washington DC.

Now the new and improved Milwaukee Lines... Metra now in process of updating Milw North and West including ties between Libertyville and the Glen... just to mention a highlight. Spend it while ya got it !!!

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/passenger_rail/news/Metra-to-replace-ties-switches-along-Milwaukee-District-lines--44136?email=dwgerdts%40yahoo.com&utm_medium=email&utm_source=prdailynews&utm_campaign=prdailynews04%2F13%2F15

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this is Metra rather than regional planning:

Tribune article on the board meeting indicates that among contracts, one was given to AECOM:

[to] help Metra develop its strategic plan and analyze as many as 37 proposed expansion projects on the basis of cost-effectiveness, market demand and other factors.

Oberman said that for too many years, Metra had not used objective standards like these in deciding how to expand service.

Now, haven't I said for some time that CTA doesn't prioritize its wish list, and thus gets nothing?

Now the new and improved Milwaukee Lines... Metra now in process of updating Milw North and West including ties between Libertyville and the Glen... just to mention a highlight. Spend it while ya got it !!!

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/passenger_rail/news/Metra-to-replace-ties-switches-along-Milwaukee-District-lines--44136?email=dwgerdts%40yahoo.com&utm_medium=email&utm_source=prdailynews&utm_campaign=prdailynews04%2F13%2F15

​I saw a whole bunch of track tampers at the Northbrook station over the weekend.

Well, look what we have here! Locomotive #210 is a journey locomotive because it went from Rock Island to Milwaukee District to Union Pacific (2013) to BNSF (current). Photo was taken @ 87th/Pulaski near Ashburn Metra Station.

image.jpg

image.jpg

​If this is Ashburn at  87th and Pulaski, that would be the Southwest and not the BN, even though there are BN coaches

in use in your first pic.

​If this is Ashburn at  87th and Pulaski, that would be the Southwest and not the BN, even though there are BN coaches

in use in your first pic.

​I know. I mentioned BSNF because of the yards that they place the locomotives at. I find that rare to see an 8600s cab car on SWS though.

• 2 weeks later...

​Something strange happened, as clicking on the link sends one back here, but copying the link as text and pasting it into the browser goes to the correct place. Maybe this works.

Anyway, reading the article, the east side station won't be done until 2017, and since the trains run left handed, essentially this doesn't do the inbound passengers (which I assume are the bulk of the passengers) any good.

​Something strange happened, as clicking on the link sends one back here, but copying the link as text and pasting it into the browser goes to the correct place. Maybe this works.

Anyway, reading the article, the east side station won't be done until 2017, and since the trains run left handed, essentially this doesn't do the inbound passengers (which I assume are the bulk of the passengers) any good.

​I've never understood why the UP & Metra haven't switched the former C&NW to right hand running. Every once in a while I find someone confused as to which platform to go to. All of the trackage in the city & close in is signaled for bidirectional operation & the entire West Line is signaled that way. It would be a simple changeover that could be done over a weekend.

Sweden managed to do that with their roads a few decades ago, so I just don't know why the railroad won't do it. It has to confuse new UP engineers that haven't operated on the C&NW tracks.

​I've never understood why the UP & Metra haven't switched the former C&NW to right hand running. Every once in a while I find someone confused as to which platform to go to. All of the trackage in the city & close in is signaled for bidirectional operation & the entire West Line is signaled that way. It would be a simple changeover that could be done over a weekend.

Sweden managed to do that with their roads a few decades ago, so I just don't know why the railroad won't do it. It has to confuse new UP engineers that haven't operated on the C&NW tracks.

​What I said about the location of the station waiting rooms governs. Given that the waiting rooms at most UPN suburban stations are east of the tracks (such as at Highland Park, Braeside, etc.) passengers would have to cross over to board the inbound train otherwise. On the other hand, when departing, nobody much is waiting, but is going to the parking lot or the waiting feeder bus.

On the other hand, most of the waiting rooms on the Milw N are on the west side of the tracks (Glenview excepted).

I suppose that there could be a huge capital program to put pedestrian underpasses at the stations (such as at some BNSF stations), but that is not going to happen.

With regard to confusing UP engineers, it appears that the freights also run left handed in the north suburbs. What might be confusing is when CP freights make the Techny split onto UP tracks.

​What I said about the location of the station waiting rooms governs. Given that the waiting rooms at most UPN suburban stations are east of the tracks (such as at Highland Park, Braeside, etc.) passengers would have to cross over to board the inbound train otherwise. On the other hand, when departing, nobody much is waiting, but is going to the parking lot or the waiting feeder bus.

On the other hand, most of the waiting rooms on the Milw N are on the west side of the tracks (Glenview excepted).

I suppose that there could be a huge capital program to put pedestrian underpasses at the stations (such as at some BNSF stations), but that is not going to happen.

With regard to confusing UP engineers, it appears that the freights also run left handed in the north suburbs. What might be confusing is when CP freights make the Techny split onto UP tracks.

​Instead of Building underpasses, I'd just move the waiting rooms, even if it meant lifting them up & placing on new foundations.

Commonality makes sense, as the UP Lines here are the only left handed lines in North America.

​Instead of Building underpasses, I'd just move the waiting rooms, even if it meant lifting them up & placing on new foundations.

Commonality makes sense, as the UP Lines here are the only left handed lines in North America.

​That essentially means rebuilding all the stations. It isn't like there is a plexiglass cubicle at the end of the platform (sort of like what is proposed for the Washington BRT).

Go out to Highland Park and report back on how much replacing that station will cost (as well as moving the bus lane and the like).

​On  UP West and NW Lines, the station houses are located on the north side of the track, hence the left hand operation.  On the West line tracks, many factors dictate what direction the freight trains run.  Sometimes its left hand operation, sometimes its right hand operation.  During the week it tends to follow the  Metra operation but weekends are a different ballgame.

Rock Island trains can be funny.  My experience has seen RI trains use left hand operation from Joliet to Robbins.  Express trains from Blue Island have tended to be  right hand operation.  Beverly branch trains have run right hand on the branch then left hand operation from Gresham.  It must be noted that Gresham is an island platform, but 35th has side platforms.  The signage at street level tells which hours the trains runs left hand  and right hand operations.

Nearly all of ME's platforms are island platforms, thus from a rider's standpoint left hand and right hand operation is a moot point.  

• Upvote 1

Rock Island trains can be funny.  My experience has seen RI trains use left hand operation from Joliet to Robbins.  Express trains from Blue Island have tended to be  right hand operation.  Beverly branch trains have run right hand on the branch then left hand operation from Gresham.  It must be noted that Gresham is an island platform, but 35th has side platforms.  The signage at street level tells which hours the trains runs left hand  and right hand operations.

Rock Island trains are​ funny. Rock Island trains run directional on the side of the majority of station platforms. Inbound in the morning that creates a right hand operation. Outbound in the evening, this creates a left hand operation. The Beverly Branch will stay the same as the branch is dark (un-signaled) territory and operates directionally with a current of traffic. Trains may operate against the current of traffic, but it takes paperwork and in rush hour would be a disaster.

As for the UP left hand, it was discussed for many years after purchasing the C&NW. You have to realize that C&NW trackage is not limited to the Metra UPN, UPNW and UPW lines but stretches throughout the Midwest United States. It is not as simple as moving trains on other tracks. In CTC territory, it is pretty simple as there is signaling in both directions and moving tracks around is relatively easy. But in the areas where signaling is with the current of traffic or dark territory, it would cost millions if not billions to convert to an all right handed operation. For that reason, the UP figured the cost outweighed consistency and left the C&NW tracks the way they were...the majority left handed.

.... it would cost millions if not billions to convert to an all right handed operation. For that reason, the UP figured the cost outweighed consistency and left the C&NW tracks the way they were...the majority left handed.

Which gets us to the billions it is supposed to cost to implement the Positive Train Control mandate, which is supposed to happen this year, but probably won't. That would make the signal issue moot.

Edited by Busjack

• 3 weeks later...

Rock Island trains will be getting express service as a trial on Weekends starting June 6 and ending Nov. 29. The 6 round trips will reduce the time between Blue Island and LaSalle St by 19 minutes northbound and 15 minutes southbound. These express trips will not serve the 95th and 103rd St stops on the Main Line either.

http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/utility_landing/newsroom/newsroom/metra-to-boost-weekend-service-on-rock-island-line.html

http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/documents/Transportation/RID Timetable06062015.pdf

Edited by Tcmetro
  • Upvote 2

Rock Island trains will be getting express service as a trial on Weekends starting June 6 and ending Nov. 29. The 6 round trips will reduce the time between Blue Island and LaSalle St by 19 minutes northbound and 15 minutes southbound. These express trips will not serve the 95th and 103rd St stops on the Main Line either.

http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/utility_landing/newsroom/newsroom/metra-to-boost-weekend-service-on-rock-island-line.html

http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/documents/Transportation/RID Timetable06062015.pdf

​So, essentially, they're splitting trains in half, essentially making the Weekend schedule similar to the Weekday Peak service. I'm surprised that the Joliet trains don't stop at Gresham on their way into Chicago, but whatever makes it faster I guess.

Here's a little brouhaha on a Metra train between unruly(or ungrateful) passenger and two conductors.... taken in Feb., 2015 from the info. I'm not sure of the line.... anyone have any line information and insight about this(if anyone knows what this might've been about), clue us in...

Here's a little brouhaha on a Metra train between unruly(or ungrateful) passenger and two conductors.... taken in Feb., 2015 from the info. I'm not sure of the line.... anyone have any line information and insight about this(if anyone knows what this might've been about), clue us in...

It seems like the ME based on the sounds of the electric motor

If Metra invoked this policy of taking care of passengers with no tickets, can you image the fear passengers would have on the train? And the lawsuits?

Come to think of it, what if someone came up with some movie about a rogue train conductor who did this to non-paying passengers? The title could be "Tickets Please" and it'll have to star Harrison Ford.... who else could pull off such a scene like he did here.

I know it's all not real, and nobody in their right mind would make such a film, but with the stuff Hollywood puts out today, one never knows....

• Upvote 1

​This was on the ME on a night train. This guy was creating a disturbance, threatening everyone and being just a big pain in the ass. They guy who did the tackling has been on medical leave since the incident. I might also add there was little if any Metra Police assistance on this and this incident is being used as a basis for the lack of police assistance and lack of so called security on trains.

• Upvote 2

​This was on the ME on a night train. This guy was creating a disturbance, threatening everyone and being just a big pain in the ass. They guy who did the tackling has been on medical leave since the incident. I might also add there was little if any Metra Police assistance on this and this incident is being used as a basis for the lack of police assistance and lack of so called security on trains.

​This is good to know for my upcoming visit this July. I will make sure not to use the ME at night. 

After looking at the video in it's entirety, I wonder if the conductor(s) received reprimand. In my opinion they should not have.  But these days, even when a person tries to do the right thing, they could find themselves  on the receiving end of harsh criticism or unjustified disciplinary action.

I think if Hollywood did something like that, it would be better as a comedy after seeing this clip.... Harrison Ford as a disgruntled Metra Conductor who upholds the ticket law on his train every shift in "Tickets?". It'll be a return to small screen, would only last one season(if that), but might be worth a few laughs.... especially if some other stars come on the show just to get "punched" by him and thrown out of the train. I know it's improbable and never likely, just posted for entertainment and imaginative thought....

​This is good to know for my upcoming visit this July. I will make sure not to use the ME at night. 

After looking at the video in it's entirety, I wonder if the conductor(s) received reprimand. In my opinion they should not have.  But these days, even when a person tries to do the right thing, they could find themselves  on the receiving end of harsh criticism or unjustified disciplinary action.

​IIRC there was no discipline or even an investigation. but like I said, I believe the "tackler" is still out on injury leave.