garmon757

Random Metra

Its currently 3:14pm at summit. Waiting for my 330 bus route. I heard a train horn that metrolinks f125 uses. And then i had a thought. At this hour is when metras heritage corridor arrives at summit. I may be wrong but i think that one of the ex metrolink f59's entered service. Now im curious if it did and if it has the horn i heard. Because if it does I'll be surprised and disappointed at the same time because i don't like the horns metrolink uses.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

How does BNSF feel about this?  Will Metra have to build a third (or fourth) track?  Will BNSF approval  of the extension be tied to Metra (and not BNSF) operating the entire BNSF?

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

How does BNSF feel about this?  Will Metra have to build a third (or fourth) track?  Will BNSF approval  of the extension be tied to Metra (and not BNSF) operating the entire BNSF?

The project documents for the Kendall Extension Study (here specifically) mention an additional track would be built.

1 hour ago, planefan001 said:

Looks like METX 418 has been repainted. Saw it on the RI today.

By any chance did it have a black roof? I saw a picture of a recently repainted unit but couldn't make out the number.

Yes, it had a black roof. I think the locomotive you're referring to is one of the first F59PHIs that were painted in the Metra livery. They waited to paint the roof black to let the primer dry. I think the number was 79. 401-427 is reserved for the MP36s and I think 70-99 is reserved for the F59s that Metra acquired from GO Transit and from Amtrak. Here's a picture of the completed paintjob for the F59PHI:

48770762957_2897080cb1_b.jpg

5 minutes ago, planefan001 said:

Yes, it had a black roof. I think the locomotive you're referring to is one of the first F59PHIs that were painted in the Metra livery. They waited to paint the roof black to let the primer dry. I think the number was 79. 401-427 is reserved for the MP36s and I think 70-99 is reserved for the F59s that Metra acquired from GO Transit and from Amtrak. Here's a picture of the completed paintjob for the F59PHI:

48770762957_2897080cb1_b.jpg

No, there's an MP36 that was recently repainted with a black roof. I can't make out the number but it looks like either 416 or 418. Also, F59PHIs are 73-93, F59PHs 94-99.

download_20200205_220636.jpg

4 minutes ago, WCR said:

No, there's an MP36 that was recently repainted with a black roof. I can't make out the number but it looks like either 416 or 418. Also, F59PHIs are 73-93, F59PHs 94-99.

download_20200205_220636.jpg

I think thats 418. I've seen it twice on the Rock Island and the paint looks deeper and brand new, especially the stripes on the front. I wish they would repaint 407 and 415. 415 is among the worst MP36s in terms of paint issues. Paint's cracking everywhere, rust is showing, and there's metal visible along the body.

• Thanks 1