Jump to content
garmon757

Random Metra

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Metra board approves the purchase of up to 500 new railcars. They are Alstom Coradia Multilevels, and most notably they don’t use the gallery car setup.

 

https://metrarail.com/about-metra/newsroom/metra-board-approves-purchase-500-modern-railcars?fbclid=IwAR1ywYXF20Eh779jrzwZyy9mClUiNW5XGex5T1UJH7vBB2mITVHYjzAy2sQ

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Metra board approves the purchase of up to 500 new railcars. They are Alstom Coradia Multilevels, and most notably they don’t use the gallery car setup.

 

https://metrarail.com/about-metra/newsroom/metra-board-approves-purchase-500-modern-railcars?fbclid=IwAR1ywYXF20Eh779jrzwZyy9mClUiNW5XGex5T1UJH7vBB2mITVHYjzAy2sQ

Interesting that they're essentially expanding capacity when its still uncertain if commuter rail lines will ever return to pre-pandemic levels of ridership anytime soon. Regardless, this is a wonderful move, I've never been a fan of the gallery set up (except for ticket collection) as it is too cramped and the seats too small. Hopefully Metra will also do away with that horrible green tint they use for their windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Interesting that they're essentially expanding capacity when its still uncertain if commuter rail lines will ever return to pre-pandemic levels of ridership anytime soon. Regardless, this is a wonderful move, I've never been a fan of the gallery set up (except for ticket collection) as it is too cramped and the seats too small. Hopefully Metra will also do away with that horrible green tint they use for their windows.

Good riddance to the damned gallery cars!  Now they need to make the platforms at Ogilvie higher, to make them the exact same height as the lowest stair of the cars!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

...Regardless, this is a wonderful move, I've never been a fan of the gallery set up (except for ticket collection) as it is too cramped and the seats too small. Hopefully Metra will also do away with that horrible green tint they use for their windows.

I only liked the gallery cars because they make it easier for the conductors to collect tickets. But I think with people using the Ventra app and just having to tap to verify their ticket to the conductors, that might add up to a considerable time saving. I know other commuter rail agencies use split level cars and I’m not aware of any ticket issues with them, but they might just be deploying more conductors per train. Personally I’ve never had any issues with the seat size, although on an all stop train from OTC or even Norwood Park I found myself standing up for a bit. And as unique as the green windows are, they are terrible for looking out through during the night, so I agree with you! Keep your fingers crossed because some of the 6000s and 8500s have clear windows now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ajay said:

Should I be worried that I made a topic on this? 

No, it’s better to start a new topic than to have everything go into the “Random” threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I only liked the gallery cars because they make it easier for the conductors to collect tickets. But I think with people using the Ventra app and just having to tap to verify their ticket to the conductors, that might add up to a considerable time saving. I know other commuter rail agencies use split level cars and I’m not aware of any ticket issues with them, but they might just be deploying more conductors per train. Personally I’ve never had any issues with the seat size, although on an all stop train from OTC or even Norwood Park I found myself standing up for a bit. And as unique as the green windows are, they are terrible for looking out through during the night, so I agree with you! Keep your fingers crossed because some of the 6000s and 8500s have clear windows now.

MARC Penn Line runs 8-car Bombardier MultiLevel sets with 2 conductors just fine (pre-pandemic). NJTransit has run 8 or 10 car sets, same type of carriage, with no more than 3 conductors that i've seen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...