2400 farewell

R36BoxMotor

With the 2400s due to gone by the end of 2014, any plans for a farewell? Since some 2400s are equipped as work motors, perhaps the most fitting sendoff would be have them run the holiday train (the Santa flatcar requires work motor cars).

This could be a perhaps a grand send-off, as they would get a three week farewell tour of the entire system (and would be available for the public to ride, unlike a charter excursion).

With the 2400s due to gone by the end of 2014, any plans for a farewell? Since some 2400s are equipped as work motors, perhaps the most fitting sendoff would be have them run the holiday train (the Santa flatcar requires work motor cars).

This could be a perhaps a grand send-off, as they would get a three week farewell tour of the entire system (and would be available for the public to ride, unlike a charter excursion).

For starters, you are assuming that the work motors will be gone. Between them being sighted hauling a crane, and all the work scheduled on the Logan Square part of the Blue Line, I wouldn't count on it.

They should do the same thing they did with the 2200s last August.

It was hard enough to get that 2200-series Farewell Ceremony due to opposition at 567, so what makes you think that the CTA will go ahead & just say "hey here's a farewell". If it was opposition to do for the 2200 just imagine the little chance the 2400-series will have & then to add, the 2200-series officially retired on July 31st, the ceremony was planned & announced last minute on August 8th, just be prepared if disappointment is in order

• Upvote 3

You willing to pay your share of full cost?

Busjack spoke earlier about a test run for the Historical 4271- 4272 cars. He thought the run was a charter. He was mistaken. Fortunately his questions about ''you willing to pay your share" at that test run or at a second run is meaningless since I don't think he is a member to any board with CTA responsibility. I wonder if he had reservations about the 2200 farewell trips or the Skokie Annuals with 4271/ 4272 train trips, both popular publicity events.

It was hard enough to get that 2200-series Farewell Ceremony due to opposition at 567, so what makes you think that the CTA will go ahead & just say "hey here's a farewell". If it was opposition to do for the 2200 just imagine the little chance the 2400-series will have & then to add, the 2200-series officially retired on July 31st, the ceremony was planned & announced last minute on August 8th, just be prepared if disappointment is in order

I don't think you will find evidence that there was opposition at 567. Most information was heresay and mostly uninformed. The plans leading to both the events involved months of planning and truthly some late announcements occurred.

I think Juniorz is referring to the higher-ups at CTA Headquarters (567 W. Lake St.).

Right, 567 W. Also, comparisons between the 2000s exits and the 2400s exit should take in the fact that operational management then and today are different. Today's is much more prone to support events as shown the 2200 and the Skokie events.

• Upvote 2

If you're talking about something similar to the 2200s, then I think it's highly unlikely. When you think about it, the 2200s were the last "blinker door" L cars running for CTA, so that justified a special sendoff, in my personal opinion. I'm not opposed to such a sendoff for the 2400s, but I can see an argument, rightly or wrongly, where the 2400s are similar to the 2600s and 3200s where such an event for the 2400s is highly unlikely.

• 4 weeks later...

The 2000s left with no fanfare, the 2400s may sadly leave in the same fate but only time will tell

This morning between 11:30am and noon I was southbound on the Red Line going to 95th.

I passed a 2400 on a flatbed heading south [near 47th I think].

The cab end of the car appeared to be facing south and the left side doors were NOT there.

Unfortunately I could not tell what the car number was.

• 2 weeks later...

I was out on the Orange Line today at the Harold Washington Library Station starting around 2:00pm and saw three sets of trains that had two 3200 series on the head end and rear end and a set of four 2600 series cars sandwiched in the middle, just as had been the case for many years with 2200s sandwiched between 2600s on the Blue Line.

These three sets of 3200/2600 combos would appear to have replaced the 2400s that had been running on the Orange Line as recently as Tuesday, July 15th.

No 2400s were observed on the Orange Line today at all. It would appear that the 2400s have been retired from Orange Line service and from the CTA Rapid Transit system entirely!

I was out on the Orange Line today at the Harold Washington Library Station starting around 2:00pm and saw three sets of trains that had two 3200 series on the head end and rear end and a set of four 2600 series cars sandwiched in the middle, just as had been the case for many years with 2200s sandwiched between 2600s on the Blue Line.

These three sets of 3200/2600 combos would appear to have replaced the 2400s that had been running on the Orange Line as recently as Tuesday, July 15th.

No 2400s were observed on the Orange Line today at all. It would appear that the 2400s have been retired from Orange Line service and from the CTA Rapid Transit system entirely!

GreenHornet,

As of this morning, not yet actually. I'm an orange line rider also and in the am peak, CTA still loan some if not half 3200s to the brownage runs and mainly 2400s are the am peak for the Orange line. Since the recent robbery, they decided to return the 3200s from Kimball yard after am peak and only utilize the 2600s and 3200s to coincide with their press release statements that they robbers were on a train with cameras. I usually arrive at Midway by 7:45-ish am and there are things from observation I've noticed since CTA switched the car series for the brownage runs: it's rare that two trains are queued, regular orange line arrival and departure times have been inconsistent, and most regular orange line runs have utilized 2400s.

Trust me when I say I will be glad when this series will be retired and to report it. I sincerely apologize in advance to 2400s enthusiasts! But since this series arrived on the orange line, in my opinion, has decreased in consistent on-time performance. I can admit being spoiled from only having 3200s on the orange line has me upset that recently in the morning we have been brown line packed because of recent changes. However, if what everybody has been stating, that when 2400s are retired we will receive 5000s then I would rather welcome that series with open arms!

• Upvote 1

That's not the case I saw like 3 or 4 sets of 2400's down town earlier this morning while I was operating the 29. I still have yet to see a mix of 26 and 3200's but I've always liked to see them paired up they look cool in that sequence hopefully I catch them like that Monday. Pics or a video would be great if you can.

ABC7 News at 5:00 PM had a story about the Orange Line and in the background, you can see 2600 Series on the Orange Line connected to 3200 Series.

When the retirement happens it will happen. Just like the assumption of the 2200-series regular revenue retirement happening SILENTLY on July 31st, 2013, anticipate for the same thing to happen for the 2400-series. I'll be watching periodically, but watching car by car is realistically impossible.

GreenHornet,

As of this morning, not yet actually. I'm an orange line rider also and in the am peak, CTA still loan some if not half 3200s to the brownage runs and mainly 2400s are the am peak for the Orange line. Since the recent robbery, they decided to return the 3200s from Kimball yard after am peak and only utilize the 2600s and 3200s to coincide with their press release statements that they robbers were on a train with cameras. I usually arrive at Midway by 7:45-ish am and there are things from observation I've noticed since CTA switched the car series for the brownage runs: it's rare that two trains are queued, regular orange line arrival and departure times have been inconsistent, and most regular orange line runs have utilized 2400s.

Trust me when I say I will be glad when this series will be retired and to report it. I sincerely apologize in advance to 2400s enthusiasts! But since this series arrived on the orange line, in my opinion, has decreased in consistent on-time performance. I can admit being spoiled from only having 3200s on the orange line has me upset that recently in the morning we have been brown line packed because of recent changes. However, if what everybody has been stating, that when 2400s are retired we will receive 5000s then I would rather welcome that series with open arms!

Yeah an official source has told me basically the same thing. The #2400's are only going to run in the rush hour now due to no cameras onboard them. The Orange line can't make service with only the #3200's so the decision was made to make #2600's belly cars to extend the fleet. Really they don't need the #2400's at all, the Blue line doesn't need 400 cars unless they are having alot of broken #2600's. Also the Red/Purple line just received 12 new #5000's lately, so they should have a spare 12 #2600 cars to send there if they need them.

The Orange line can't make service with only the #3200's so the decision was made to make #2600's belly cars to extend the fleet.

Curious on that quote about why they can't make service. Didn't the operate exclusively with 3200s until just recently (within last year). Is it because the number of runs has increased?

Curious on that quote about why they can't make service. Didn't the operate exclusively with 3200s until just recently (within last year). Is it because the number of runs has increased?

It has been longer than that, basically with the addition of 9 Brownage trips.The thread on that topic started November 8, 2012.

Also, as previously noted, the addition of the Brownage trips meant that cars assigned to Midway Yard increased from about 110 to over 150.

I don't know, 86 #3200 cars should make service, that almost 11 trains. Maybe some are down for repair. The brownages shouldn't affect this as #3200's never ran the brownage and it has the #2600/#2400's.

I don't know, 86 #3200 cars should make service, that almost 11 trains. Maybe some are down for repair. The brownages shouldn't affect this as #3200's never ran the brownage and it has the #2600/#2400's.

So what's the legitimate reason why 20 cars (3287/88-3305/06) from the orange line went to the brown line?