2400 farewell

R36BoxMotor

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure that will happen because the 2200's were the last of the folding doors which marked the end of an era. The 2400's have sliding doors like the rest of the CTA rail fleet.

2400's were the 1st with the sliding doors, so that makes them unique(I don't know the purpose of this as IRM already has a pair of railcars). The 2600's were the largest order of railcars that the CTA made and the last ones built by Budd. The 3200's are having their uniqueness taken away from them with the rehabs starting next year. A pair could've gone into IRM being the last railcars with roller curtains that the CTA had. The process to change them from roller curtain to LED is expensive and the CTA most likely disposes of the parts after the rehabs. IRM relies on funding to repair equipment, and to change a pair from LED back to roller curtains will be rather expensive.

I'll sure miss the 2400's once they're gone but I gotta say I love seeing the 26 and 3200's paired up together. I see they have the 2600's as belly cars now on the Orange Line. Every time I see them in that consist I say that's a nice lookin train set right there lol. I like the 3200 as the end cars but I wouldn't mind a switch up With the 2600's being the end cars and 32's in the middle. The 2600's and 3200's go together like shoes and socks lol.

The 2400's were the first since the 4000-series to have sliding doors & unique to have been converted into work cars since the 6000-series. There are many more unique features to this series, shall we explore?

At one time there were the squared off bicentennial striping along the entire lower body panel, and the red white and blue end caps,* both which were eventually eliminated.

They were also the first cars to get the 1970s style bus interiors with the plastic shell seats and beige and woodgrain interiors. While long lived, that wasn't necessarily a benefit.

Finally, they were the first ones with a high amount of foreign content.

*Photo from chicago-l.org.

Also, the fact that they are an example of Boeing Vertol's small venture into railcar building is noteworthy (along with the more troublesome light rail cars for the MBTA Green Line).

On the topic of the sliding doors, CTA cars might have had sliding doors before, but the 2400 sliding doors were basically the pioneer of the current door design the CTA uses on its railcar fleet now. Even the 5000s have the same door design (although moderately improved), and the 7000s will most likely have them too, and not just for ADA reasons. They do their job. :)

At one time there were the squared off bicentennial striping along the entire lower body panel, and the red white and blue end caps,* both which were eventually eliminated.

They were also the first cars to get the 1970s style bus interiors with the plastic shell seats and beige and woodgrain interiors. While long lived, that wasn't necessarily a benefit.

Finally, they were the first ones with a high amount of foreign content.

*Photo from chicago-l.org.

The seats in the #2400's had a foam backing when they were delivered, they weren't the hard plastic seats of the late 80's early 90's, as those were a step down from the vinyl seats of the 60's, and still gave a bit of comfort to the rear end. All equipment from the #2400's to the #7000's to the #9600's to I believe the #9900's had these seats originally. But they were vandalized also so CTA went with the plastic hard shelled seat and replaced those seats with that. They tried to go back to the foam backed vinyl seats with the TMC's, and they also had the beige foam padded seats in the #3200's when new, but they also tried out the carpeted seats in the #5300 Flxibles and that idea stuck to this day. A link on seats from 1998 is below

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/19981024/ISSUE01/10002089/random-walk

Now the #2400's also have the only backlit car cards sign rack left at the CTA. That was in the #2600's, but was removed with the rehab.

The seats in the #2400's had a foam backing when they were delivered, they weren't the hard plastic seats of the late 80's early 90's, as those were a step down from the vinyl seats of the 60's, and still gave a bit of comfort to the rear end.....

I assume you are referring only to the inserts, which have been changed out many times, and not the shells.

Now the #2400's also have the only backlit car cards sign rack left at the CTA. That was in the #2600's, but was removed with the rehab.

I actually forgot about that. They look kind of cool, but when there's a dark ad placed over the lights, it can make a difference on how the inside of the train car looks.

post-1461-0-52154700-1408208915_thumb.jp

Notice the dark ceilings...

I actually forgot about that. They look kind of cool, but when there's a dark ad placed over the lights, it can make a difference on how the inside of the train car looks.

attachicon.gifDSC01025.JPG

Notice the dark ceilings...

But that also reminds that they were the first with the light arch on the ceiling near the doors, which appeared kind of cool at the time.

But that also reminds that they were the first with the light arch on the ceiling near the doors, which appeared kind of cool at the time.

True, and I actually kind of like that style. However having only two train series that got that setup says otherwise, probably because those lights use more light tubes than the 3200 Series, and the 5000s before their LED refit.

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming that the magical number of 2400s on the CTA property are 54 and there are 19 work cars which would be retained for work duty services for the foreseeable future, then there must be 35 or less 2400s in revenue service as of September, which would mean that October would be a reasonable timeline for the series to officially be retired from regular revenue service. Now, this is just an assumption, so lets not jump to any conclusions, but the thought ran across my mind

Assuming that the magical number of 2400s on the CTA property are 54 and there are 19 work cars which would be retained for work duty services for the foreseeable future, then there must be 35 or less 2400s in revenue service as of September, which would mean that October would be a reasonable timeline for the series to officially be retired from regular revenue service. Now, this is just an assumption, so lets not jump to any conclusions, but the thought ran across my mind

The odd number hit me as fishy, and chicago-l.org indicates 22 to 24 of the work motors. None of 2401-2424 are on the wreck list, so it is probably down to 30.

What long term holds he has from about a year ago indicate that the 2500s were out of service before 2400s. Maybe there is a reason for that, but it seems strange.

During August following 8 came off Orange: 2451-52, 2453-54, 2489-90, 2545-46, leaving 54 on active list.

Also during August following 7 removed from stored list, officially retired: 2433-34, 2529, 2533-34, 2549-50, 2569-70, 2591-92. In addition to 8 above-listed, following still listed as stored: 2465-66, 2563-64.

During August following 8 came off Orange: 2451-52, 2453-54, 2489-90, 2545-46, leaving 54 on active list.

Also during August following 7 removed from stored list, officially retired: 2433-34, 2529, 2533-34, 2549-50, 2569-70, 2591-92. In addition to 8 above-listed, following still listed as stored: 2465-66, 2563-64.

The only #2400's I saw while I was at Skokie Shops was #2545 and #2465. They were being stripped, #2465 had wires hanging in the cab. Looked at the other wrecked cars up close (close as I could get without getting on) and they were being stripped of usable parts. No way are some of those ever going to return like #3351-52 and #2631 or #2722. I'll see if I can upload some pictures maybe tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They'd better hurry because the series is officially retired from revenue service as of this week.

As of October 31st during the morning rush period the series was officially retired, give the CTA time to do the farewell ceremony right, it's only Tuesday (remember we had a weekend to rest and recoup) so when the CTA is ready to announce the farewell, they will

• Upvote 1

Any word on the ceremony yet?

Patience is a virtue....

CTA has other things on their immediate agenda right now...

• Delivery and preparation of Novabuses
  • Testing of New Flyer XE40's(There's only two and both are being revenue tested, but no doubt CTA Brass is in constant contact with Kedzie Garage inquiring on them, and they in turn are sending updates and notes to New Flyer about them)
  • Delivery and preparation of 5000-Series railcars
  • Preparation of Santa's Express train(2893-2898) for the Holiday Train, which should debut in about three weeks' time.
  • Preparation to begin overhauling the 3200-Series railcars starting next year. Cars will need to be shifted to the Brown and Orange lines while they are rotated out for the overhaul.

The 2400's will sit idle at Skokie Shops for the time. The CTA will no doubt be getting placards ready to put in the cars, installing classic roller curtains. They might repaint the endcaps and put the striping on them again, though not as elaborately as when they were delivered in 1976-1978, but like seen before the cars striping was removed. There will be a farewell, just not immediately.

Also, the cars will need to be inspected and get a "farewell overhaul" so-to-speak. Swap out bad or iffy components for good components which are either on soon-to-be scrapped 2400's or in the parts room at Skokie Shops.

post-10-0-86041800-1415556114_thumb.jpg

Patience is a virtue....

CTA has other things on their immediate agenda right now...

• Delivery and preparation of Novabuses
  • Testing of New Flyer XE40's(There's only two and both are being revenue tested, but no doubt CTA Brass is in constant contact with Kedzie Garage inquiring on them, and they in turn are sending updates and notes to New Flyer about them)
  • Delivery and preparation of 5000-Series railcars
  • Preparation of Santa's Express train(2893-2898) for the Holiday Train, which should debut in about three weeks' time.
  • Preparation to begin overhauling the 3200-Series railcars starting next year. Cars will need to be shifted to the Brown and Orange lines while they are rotated out for the overhaul.

The 2400's will sit idle at Skokie Shops for the time. The CTA will no doubt be getting placards ready to put in the cars, installing classic roller curtains. They might repaint the endcaps and put the striping on them again, though not as elaborately as when they were delivered in 1976-1978, but like seen before the cars striping was removed. There will be a farewell, just not immediately.

Ohh, I see. Makes total sense. Thanks for explaining, that helped.