2400 farewell

R36BoxMotor

This photo was taken at Skokie Shops last week. There are a total of 8 cars being re-decaled into the as delivered livery. Four cars will get the full treatment, the end cars, and the four belly cars are suppose to get only the side striping. No dates or lines have been decided on yet.

Mel

That's some fantastic work Mel!! I can't believe how good the cars look, better than anything I was expecting. So they really want to have a fan trip during the brutal winter? (maybe not) But will the cars then be stored outside? I'd hate to see the results of an abusive Chicago winter on their fine work at the shops. I don't know if they have indoor storage space for these cars plus what they have. Worst case scenario, they could always put a protective tarp over the cars.

That's some fantastic work Mel!! I can't believe how good the cars look, better than anything I was expecting. So they really want to have a fan trip during the brutal winter? (maybe not) But will the cars then be stored outside? I'd hate to see the results of an abusive Chicago winter on their fine work at the shops. I don't know if they have indoor storage space for these cars plus what they have. Worst case scenario, they could always put a protective tarp over the cars.

Just as long they don't store them outside the F'ing Linden Yard God forbid!!!
  • Upvote 5

This photo was taken at Skokie Shops last week. There are a total of 8 cars being re-decaled into the as delivered livery. Four cars will get the full treatment, the end cars, and the four belly cars are suppose to get only the side striping. No dates or lines have been decided on yet.

Mel

what a fantastic pic they look great wow

Mel

Thanks for the update Mel Brenero, now we will WAIT until the OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT, no second guessing, when the ceremony happens, it will happen in grand fashion, until then, the continued silence............................

Mel

Beautiful. Thanks for the inside shot!

Thanks for the update, Mel Bernero, now we will WAIT until the OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT, no second guessing, when the ceremony happens, it will happen in grand fashion, until then, the continued silence............................

At Friday night's C.E.R.A. meeting, show presenter Bruce Moffat uttered, "the farewell for the 2400s will occur sometime in December."
  • Upvote 5

Also on Facebook Chicago "L" there was an interesting shot of the overturned cars that retired #2532 from a Red line Supervisor. This person says that #2929-30, #2401-02 were the other cars involved and that #2929 has a jacked up roof that exists to this day compared with it's mate which now runs the Blue line. Both #2401 and #2929 were out of service for up to 2 years. It's claimed that it was caused by two sets of train colliding head on on the curve and the rerailing took 23 hours. Interesting!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201845412616362&set=p.10201845412616362&type=1&theater

Then they have the infamous picture of #2470 which burned up at 37th middle. It's claimed here a heater grounded inside the car causing the fire.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1508446109404693&set=gm.743640612372621&type=1&theater

Now I wonder what happened to #2702 as I thought that car was involved in the Howard accident.
At least that's what I thought First and Fastest magazine reported.

Then that car that was on youtube that arched off at Medical Center was #3035.
It's claimed that train hit a tire along the right of way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3-RFeSe5jw

Just as long they don't store them outside the F'ing Linden Yard God forbid!!!

As long as this doesn't happen.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=854370871251136&set=p.854370871251136&type=1&theater

So is that intentional or did the graffiti artists take art lessons before they actually began their artwork??!! :lol:

• Upvote 1

As long as this doesn't happen.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=854370871251136&set=p.854370871251136&type=1&theater

So is that intentional or did the graffiti artists take art lessons before they actually began their artwork??!! :lol:

Hell, I don't care because I think they just added more value with this art! At least they showed some love with the train guy art!!! :lol::D

So are they going to keep them?

I doubt it. As moving out the historic buses shows, CTA isn't interested in its own museum. Each car appears worth something in scrap, which CTA needs.

Were the 2200s with the fake destination signs kept?

• 1 month later...

The most amazing statement in the press release is that this perhaps isn't the farewell!

"2400-series cars used in the retirement ceremony will become part of CTA’s historic rail car fleet, and will be used for special events and paid charters."

Looks like these 8? cars could be around for sometime. It's also interesting to note that the Historic fleet (now 2 4000 series cars) could be greatly increased in size.

Bob

Visiting the Brown Line..... and another opportunity lost..... :(

• Missed the Holiday Train
  • Missed the Holiday Bus
  • Will miss the 2400's Farewell, by the looks of things too....

Well, I missed the Holiday Train, Holiday Bus and most likely the 2400's farewell too. But maybe one day somebody could plan a chartered trip from 95th/Dan Ryan to Harlem/Lake, we can call it the Lake-Dan Ryan throwback train with those 2400's or maybe some 2600's.

Hmm, the #2400's were not originally accessible to wheelchairs??

Technically, they weren't. They were the first ones with "sliding doors wide enough" to accommodate them, but the flip up seats were not installed until they went through some sort of rehab in the 1990s. Note that the flip up seats were near the B end, while in cars designed for wheelchairs, they were near the cab.