2400 farewell

R36BoxMotor

This is one reason for charters like IRM Snowflake. Wednesday special used at least 10 hours. Weekday charters are limited to 9:00 to 3:00 to avoid rush hours. Snowflakes use weekends to stay out on the tracks longer. Still, all the routes can't be covered in the time available. Wednesday was probably 8:00 to 18:00 hours. That crew slept late today.

DHarrison

Thanks buddy!

I couldn't make the runs, but I'll take a broken down 2400 over a 5000, any day of the week, due to the seating.

I remember seeing 2403-4 sitting on the Summerdale team track where the Rogers Park Montessori School now is.

I have a lot of photos of a number of them lashed down to TTX flatcars by chains, with rails bolted to the wood deck & half rounds welded to the rails so they wouldn't slide around. They were taken at Bryn Mawr/Ravenswood & by Albion Playlot, opposite S&C Electric.

They probably are recreations, but as you indicate, based on what IRM has or what might be in the "basement."

CTA always had a mix of commercial and public service cards, and it appears that the organizers wanted to recreate that. I guess your point was why now advertise those products, while my point was that they used public service cards for an organization they no longer recognize. Of course, the cards for 30 day passes and Link Up Cards show that those programs go that far back (and that a monthly pass is 130% higher now than it was then).

My point was that they don't really advertise that much for real products everything now is mostly organizations and infomercial type products. Where's the Lipton, Pepsi or Campbells Soup ads?

Btw in those flickriver pictures did you guys notice there is a 30 and 35 dollar bus pass? I remember the passes were $40 a long while during the early 80's. I might actually still have some of those.They had this shiny piece on some of them that said CTA when you tilted it. It was kind of like the money today.

My point was that they don't really advertise that much for real products everything now is mostly organizations and infomercial type products. Where's the Lipton, Pepsi or Campbells Soup ads?

Btw in those flickriver pictures did you guys notice there is a 30 and 35 dollar bus pass? I remember the passes were $40 a long while during the early 80's. I might actually still have some of those.They had this shiny piece on some of them that said CTA when you tilted it. It was kind of like the money today.

Monthly passes were:-

$30 from 11/4/79

$35 from 2/1/81

$40 from 8/1/81

$44 from 2/9/86

$46 from 3/1/86 and

$50 from 1/3/88

I'm sure it is whatever Garfield could get on his trip down the hall to the print shop.

If you want to talk authentic history, I suppose one could question whether his conductor's coin changer is authentic for these cars, although I suppose it would have been necessary to collect the extra quarter on the Evanston Express.

When the 2400's were new, conductors most certainly still hand-collected fares! Evanston surcharge disappeared years before on train fare collection (which was around 1996).

When the 2400's were new, conductors most certainly still hand-collected fares! Evanston surcharge disappeared years before on train fare collection (which was around 1996).

I was thinking the extra quarter between Howard and Belmont, which lasted until 1996. While you were supposed to buy an Express Check at the station, I guess that the conductors had to have a means of dealing with people who didn't. I wasn't thinking of the fare collector that was at South Blvd. in the 70s.

I also had in mind the on-train fare collection on the Evanston Shuttle, which you mentioned.

Maybe Titan isn't doing its job. But as I mentioned, alternative telephone providers and cosmetic companies with teenagers making out are wrapping the inside of cars for products. On the soup front, maybe Campbell's doesn't have to advertise because the alternative is STORE BRAND.

I suppose one could ask why most TV and radio ads are for prescription drugs, PI lawyers, home improvements, worthless warranty extensions and ways to lose money on the Internet, as opposed to Campbell's Soup (Progresso does advertise), although Coke and Pepsi are still duking it out.

$30 from 11/4/79

$35 from 2/1/81

$40 from 8/1/81

$44 from 2/9/86

$46 from 3/1/86 and

$50 from 1/3/88

So, the sign was not exactly from 1976.

Maybe Titan isn't doing its job. But as I mentioned, alternative telephone providers and cosmetic companies with teenagers making out are wrapping the inside of cars for products. On the soup front, maybe Campbell's doesn't have to advertise because the alternative is STORE BRAND.

I suppose one could ask why most TV and radio ads are for prescription drugs, PI lawyers, home improvements, worthless warranty extensions and ways to lose money on the Internet, as opposed to Campbell's Soup (Progresso does advertise), although Coke and Pepsi are still duking it out.

Now, the big companies are doing a few full bus wraps like Sierra Mist and Dr Pepper and the beer companies are doing "L" wraps. Maybe the companies are just too big to just do a simple car card, but Palermo's Pizza does do car cards but maybe cause their a small company. Maybe the thinking is that if you're drinking you're not supposed to be driving anyway, but I can't help but notice most of those ads go around Wrigley and that's like the beer capital of Chicago. It's the power of suggestion.

Now, the big companies are doing a few full bus wraps like Sierra Mist and Dr Pepper and the beer companies are doing "L" wraps. Maybe the companies are just too big to just do a simple car card, but Palermo's Pizza does do car cards but maybe cause their a small company. Maybe the thinking is that if you're drinking you're not supposed to be driving anyway, but I can't help but notice most of those ads go around Wrigley and that's like the beer capital of Chicago. It's the power of suggestion.

The relevant thing that can be gleaned from this otherwise ridiculous item in the CTA Tattler is the price for a car card is about $400.

There was the CTA ban on advertising liquor, but that was lifted a couple of years ago.

The essential factors with beer is that the audience is young males with sports, and there are essentially only two companies duking it out. If you look at old bus pictures (like from the late 50s, early 60s) there are ads for all sorts of beer.

$30 from 11/4/79

$35 from 2/1/81

$40 from 8/1/81

$44 from 2/9/86

$46 from 3/1/86 and

$50 from 1/3/88

You forgot about the $75 price that was in place starting some time in the 1990s and in place before the $85 (or was it $90) before Claypool bumped it to the current $100.

You forgot about the $75 price that was in place starting some time in the 1990s and in place before the $85 (or was it $90) before Claypool bumped it to the current $100.

I didn't, I just listed the prices for 1980s.

The price went all over the place in the 90s along with a 8 month period without a monthly ticket.

After $50:-

$60 from 4/29/90

$45 + $0.25/ride from 8/30/92!

$78 from 1/31/93

$72 from 8/23/93

$78 from 7/31/94

not available from 1/1/95!

$88 from 8/1/95

$75 from 11/1/98

$86 from 1/1/09

$100 from 1/14/13

Monthly tickets started 0n 2/1/79 at $25 increasing to $30 on 11/4/79

AAARRRGGHH, you people are killing me! <_< I wanted so bad to go to this and couldn't. A few days back, I fell and landed in my knee. I couldn't hardly walk around my house, much less go to this. However, as usual, there are lots of great pics and commentary. I really appreciative everyone's efforts and time. Is there video anywhere?

That is tough to deal with but on the bright side there is video of the final trip of the day on a YouTuber's channel, His YouTube name is eyetube21 and he seems to have has the whole trip from Ashland 63rd to Howard. I'll post the links don below if anyone wants to watch the final trip.

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fx4sF5C-3E

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NydcGujACgE

Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eYbJQnPZIw

Part 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XofYYPw96U

• 1 month later...

Anybody here miss the 2400-series 1976 rail cars? I miss them and I used to ride on them and they had a booming microphone which made it sound like you were on a Boeing 747 and they glided on the track

They were my favorite design besides the #2000's. I didn't like riding on them towards the end though. They felt dirty no matter how clean they were and they made a unnerving "clicking" sound every time they started to move from a stop. I still prefer their seats over the #5000's though.

Anybody here miss the 2400-series 1976 rail cars? I miss them and I used to ride on them and they had a booming microphone which made it sound like you were on a Boeing 747 and they glided on the track

I miss them......A lot! They were smooth and they were fast. In fact, talking to a CTA employee back in the winter of 1979, he claimed that when the prototypes were in non-revenue testing, they were clocked at 85 mph! I don't know how true that was; "chicagopcclcar" might be be able to verify that claim since he was a motorman. But the few times I did get a chance to ride them when they were newly introduced into rev-service, a few motormen would hint that, speed-wise, the 2400s could "get away from you" before you know it.

• Upvote 3