700-series XE40 - Deliveries & Assignments

Kevin

53 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

13' 6" is the minimum clearance for truck routes.

10' 8"

Basically they should clear all viaducts on any and all CTA routes.

I believe 59th, 63rd, 79th, North Ave. Ashland. Western, and Cicero are all truck routes.  Since 95th is a U.S. Hwy ( U.S. 12 and U.S.20), it is considered a truck route also.  I know U.S. 41 is also a zu.S. Hwy, but trucks are banned on South Shore Drive, Lake Shore Drive. and Foster Ave.

I could be wrong,  but I think state ( IL) routes also qualify for truck traffic  meaning streets like North Ave ( IL 64)   Irving Park  (IL 19), and Cicero (IL 50) are truck routes.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

63rd street, believe it or not  is a truck route, thus all of the viaducts, including the Green Line structures are at least 13 ft

Most of the CTA and Metra viaducts north of Irving Park are around 11'8" to 11'10:.  

The one viaduct at 87th and Wentworth is 12'8".  All of the other viaducts there at Wentworth are over 13 ft.  That is important.   A semitrailer attempted to go through those viaducts. not noticing the sign and hit the short viaduct, ripping open most of his trailer.  Obviously the rest of the trailer was wedged under the viaduct.   It was truly an ugly scene

He was going westbound on 87th.  All traffic had to share the eastbound side of 87th.

The shortest viaduct I have seen in the city is 10 ft 6 in.  It is an Orange Line viaduct around Wallace I believe.

Exactly how tall are the Proterras?

Yeah, the two at Archer & Wallace and Archer & Normal. It's just so weird because right before that it's so high in the air at what has to be at least 30" of clearance

The Proterras, regardless of specs, are all listed at 11'2" (which I doubt, but they know better)

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

We seem to have competing spec sheets. Are yours more recent?

Yes; the dates those were posted are in the URL. The sheet you linked is from 2016, whereas the one I posted is from this year and is what currently is advertised on the Proterra website (see 40 ft bus US specs). I guess Proterra must have found a design that reduces the height in the past few years.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 12:04 PM, artthouwill said:

63rd street, believe it or not  is a truck route, thus all of the viaducts, including the Green Line structures are at least 13 ft

Most of the CTA and Metra viaducts north of Irving Park are around 11'8" to 11'10:.  

The one viaduct at 87th and Wentworth is 12'8".  All of the other viaducts there at Wentworth are over 13 ft.  That is important.   A semitrailer attempted to go through those viaducts. not noticing the sign and hit the short viaduct, ripping open most of his trailer.  Obviously the rest of the trailer was wedged under the viaduct.   It was truly an ugly scene

He was going westbound on 87th.  All traffic had to share the eastbound side of 87th.

The shortest viaduct I have seen in the city is 10 ft 6 in.  It is an Orange Line viaduct around Wallace I believe.

Exactly how tall are the Proterras?

The viaduct on vincennes is 12'8". I know cause it's my route i take when I'm checking out south shops. I drive 87th. Had to drive 83rd due to the recent track street crossing closure at rockwell 87th. They got some dicey bridges there too. Your crossing holding your breath. Cause ripping off the roof of your bus is not how you want to start your cdl career!! Lol!!

On 10/25/2019 at 6:46 AM, BusHunter said:

The viaduct on vincennes is 12'8". I know cause it's my route i take when I'm checking out south shops. I drive 87th. Had to drive 83rd due to the recent track street crossing closure at rockwell 87th. They got some dicey bridges there too. Your crossing holding your breath. Cause ripping off the roof of your bus is not how you want to start your cdl career!! Lol!!

Most transit buses are under 11 ft. Motorcoach buses range from 11'2" to 12 ft.  I'm not sure about school buses, but I would imagine they top out around 11 ft.  Like I mentioned earlier, I've only seen two viaducts under 11 ft in the city.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

701 always belonged to 77th since it came to CTA 700 is the one either at SS or back at K

Both of them were assigned to Kedzie for a while after their delivery, 701 was reassigned to 77th before it eventually went back to New Flyer. I meant now that 701 is back at 77th it might be placed into regular service again. Unless @YoungBusLover can confirm it was just another test run like last month on the 52A.

16 hours ago, WCR said:

Both of them were assigned to Kedzie for a while after their delivery, 701 was reassigned to 77th before it eventually went back to New Flyer. I meant now that 701 is back at 77th it might be placed into regular service again. Unless @YoungBusLover can confirm it was just another test run like last month on the 52A.

It has shown back up periodically along with 4 more proterras and has received more testing and work done on it in the past few weeks, I remember seeing it testing the night before in the back lot obstacle course where they train new operators and I got an up close look at it and I must say it is going to be interesting to see how it'll be used this upcoming spring. 

55 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

It has shown back up periodically along with 4 more proterras and has received more testing and work done on it in the past few weeks, I remember seeing testing the night before in the back lot obstacle course where they train new operators and I got an up close look at it and I must say it is going to be interesting to see how it'll be used this upcoming spring. 

the porterras are entering service in spring?

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

It has shown back up periodically along with 4 more proterras and has received more testing and work done on it in the past few weeks, I remember seeing testing the night before in the back lot obstacle course where they train new operators and I got an up close look at it and I must say it is going to be interesting to see how it'll be used this upcoming spring. 

Only four more?! Man, Proterra is slow, I would have thought they'd all be here by now. Only twenty on order and they've been coming in since like what, early fall? I wonder if they're going to wait and deploy the entire fleet at once. 

18 minutes ago, WCR said:

Only four more?! Man, Proterra is slow, I would have thought they'd all be here by now. Only twenty on order and they've been coming in since like what, early fall? I wonder if they're going to wait and deploy the entire fleet at once. 

I'm not sure if they are the same ones from before or if they're brand new.

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

the porterras are entering service in spring?

I was talking about #701.

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

1 hour ago, WCR said:

@YoungBusLoverwas really talking about 701 but mentioned the 4 Proterras that were there.  It will be interesting to see how CTA assigns the Proterras,  700, 701, and any future deliveries of electric buses.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

@YoungBusLoverwas really talking about 701 but mentioned the 4 Proterras that were there.  It will be interesting to see how CTA assigns the Proterras,  700, 701, and any future deliveries of electric buses.

The interesting part is the proterras have yet to get any fleet numbers assigned along with being properly setup to CTA standards to be turned over to there respective garages for operators to be trained on. I'm tempted to ask some mechanics at south shops the current status on the proterras because other than the one sighting earlier this month of one of them being tested out and about at Chicago garage there hasn't been much activity in regards to them being tested by fellow operators or instructors.

39 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Proterra had a 44% backlog and that was in 2018

For them to have a backlog I wonder how many did CTA actually receive because Chicago garage initially had two last fall then south shops received about 5 or 6 then they all disappeared last month just to show back up late this month.