700-series XE40 - Deliveries & Assignments

Kevin

Yes, the buses do carry the CTA logos of course. The graphics are really cool. Im sure everyone will be impressed. I was! :)

The reason I asked is that since it is a wrap, I doubt that NF would be at a sales convention with a bus wrapped for CTA as opposed to corporate purposes.

.... I think we need to not let ourselves get so cynical that a politician trying to garner or keep support among the voting public becomes on par with being a scandal. :lol::P

Cynical or not, my only point was that Durbin is going to want the photo op. You seemed to argue that he didn't need it.

Cynical or not, my only point was that Durbin is going to want the photo op. You seemed to argue that he didn't need it.

Want and need are two different things. My point was I agree with you that he might want a photo op, but he doesn't need it. Anyway we took up too much of the thread going on about politics.

Anyone have an idea how many seats in CTA's configuration of this bus?

Im just guesstimating, but when I looked inside, it looks basically like the seating arrangement of the current NF, about 39 seats. What struck me was how quiet the bus was when the electric motors were started. You can barely notice it! Im sure riders will really enjoy these buses.

I think it'll still be some time before we see them tested in-revenue service. CTA and New Flyer no doubt want to do extensive testing "Not In Service" first, then Rahm and co. will need to have a press conference about these buses, CTA will have to decide what route(s) they'll operate on before the charging stations are built at the beginning and end of the route(s) chosen. There doesn't appear to be charging stations at Kedzie. The source I spoke to who saw them inside Kedzie did not see any charging stations anywhere in there.

• Upvote 1

Hmm... It hasn't been completely sunny like what's in the picture for at least 3-4 days. If they ran those as tripper buses possibly they wouldn't need a charging station except at the garage, but it has to be obvious by now they are being charged someway. Could be something as simple as a plug in hybrid at the garage as it's not designed for portability/on the run type charging. At least the chargers we see for a Chevy Volt or Toyota Prius are simple in nature. I know Walgreens has a few in their parking lots as well as six corners has one at the Sears automotive.

• Upvote 3

Finally we get a look at these buses' appearance with the wraps applied beyond the description that one is blue and the other green regardless of when the pics may have been taken. As for possible charging station locations, there were past reports of the possibility that Navy Pier might be a spot. That and the overall nature of how this bus works leans toward 124 being a prime candidate of where to see these buses when they do get to the revenue phase.

Looking further into the technology of the charging systems of the all electric Xcelsiors, NF claims they use an Eaton charging system for the bus depots. These are some of the models that Eaton offers. This is a simpler way of charging a bus versus using a drive in docking charging system. It might be possible there will be no electric towers constructed for the CTA models.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Electrical/ProductsandServices/ElectricalDistribution/ElectricVehicleChargingSolutions/index.htm

Here's a few press reports first from New Flyer claiming all it's XE40 buses, 6 built so far including one concluding it's Altoona test, will all be in service in the coming weeks.

http://www.newflyer.com/index/101014-new-flyer-presents-the-xcelsior-all-electric-battery-bus

Then there's an article about the XE40's presentation at the APTA convention including the announcement of an all hydrogen 60 foot bus they plan on entering the market using Ballard powered fuel cells (remember them)

http://www.fleetsandfuels.com/fuels/hydrogen/2014/10/new-flyers-electric-apta-expo/

Maybe this helps to explain a few things related to charging the buses.

Looking further into the technology of the charging systems of the all electric Xcelsiors, NF claims they use an Eaton charging system for the bus depots. These are some of the models that Eaton offers. This is a simpler way of charging a bus versus using a drive in docking charging system. It might be possible there will be no electric towers constructed for the CTA models.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Electrical/ProductsandServices/ElectricalDistribution/ElectricVehicleChargingSolutions/index.htm

The ambiguity seems to be that we assumed that the dual pantograph method shown in the Manitoba video you found was the sole method. However, as the second link indicates, that was only a test, not production bus (not counted in the 6). So, it isn't clear (at the moment) whether the 2 CTA buses use that or some plug in charger.

The Green Limousine!

My association with the Green Limousine was the Twin Coach old looks, which were darker. However, there might be some similarity to the lime green on repainted New Looks and in the original scheme of the old Flyers and MANs.

I like the green one, It reminds me of the old CTA livery

I like the blue one because of how it has a light mood appearance about it due to its colors blending from one shade to the next compared to what we're used to seeing in transit buses in general.

Here's a few press reports first from New Flyer claiming all it's XE40 buses, 6 built so far including one concluding it's Altoona test, will all be in service in the coming weeks.

http://www.newflyer.com/index/101014-new-flyer-presents-the-xcelsior-all-electric-battery-bus

Then there's an article about the XE40's presentation at the APTA convention including the announcement of an all hydrogen 60 foot bus they plan on entering the market using Ballard powered fuel cells (remember them)

http://www.fleetsandfuels.com/fuels/hydrogen/2014/10/new-flyers-electric-apta-expo/

Maybe this helps to explain a few things related to charging the buses.

This does give some insight into what some of us have been saying about how the buses are still getting charged somehow considering one of both of them have been out on test drives before they had the wraps added after delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn WGN just had on the news about 3 minutes ago that the electric buses would be going in service today. They said not only would they serve downtown, but they would serve the near west side so sounds like they may serve more than #124.

A few minutes later..... Sure enough there's a link to the story.

http://wgntv.com/2014/10/29/cta-hits-the-road-with-new-electric-buses/

• Upvote 1