700-series XE40 - Deliveries & Assignments

Kevin

At 8:00am it is on the 121. The 124 first journey is 08:35 from Union station.

Today 700 is arriving at Union station about now on an inbound 121 (7:59am) leaving at 8:10am on the 121. 701 is leaving at 8:05 on the 121, having run in on the 157 to Taylor/Halsted.

EDIT 700 then moves onto the 124 with the 8:50am ex Navy Pier, 9:14 ex Union. 701 is on 120 at 8:33 ex Streeterville, and 8:57 ex Ogilvie.

I agree with you on it's afternoon schedule In from Kedzie around 16:20 at UIC, complete outbound journey on 7 and then out to Kedzie passing UIC at 7:20pm. I would like to find out what route 700 goes onto in the afternoon. I caught it on an inbound 7 at 15:45 from UIC to Clinton yesterday. It then turned south on Clinton and west on Van Buren so I think i probably went onto the 125. Has anyone seen it?

So far the buses seem to have stuck to the same runs each day since last Thursday.

No doubt these are their "baby steps" as the CTA is testing the efficiency of the electric buses to see how they perform on the routes assigned to them before branching them out to other routes. You might see them on these routes for the next several months perhaps as we start to move into winter, and that will be the true test for these two buses.... a Chicago winter.... brutal cold that has, at times gotten down into -15 to -20 degree range(air temp alone) and heavy snowfall(largest being the 22 inches from 2/1-2/2/11 most recently, though I don't think that will happen again anytime soon *knocks on wood*).

No doubt these are their "baby steps" as the CTA is testing the efficiency of the electric buses to see how they perform on the routes assigned to them before branching them out to other routes. You might see them on these routes for the next several months perhaps as we start to move into winter, and that will be the true test for these two buses.... a Chicago winter.... brutal cold that has, at times gotten down into -15 to -20 degree range(air temp alone) and heavy snowfall(largest being the 22 inches from 2/1-2/2/11 most recently, though I don't think that will happen again anytime soon *knocks on wood*).

Unless something else is happening that the press release didn't mention, they're not branching out to anything beyond routes explicitly stated in the release.

This was put out the day before the buses were placed in service. If the buses still are operating on the listed runs, maybe someone at Kedzie can supply the actual times.

That is helpful in that the directive says not on anything except the 4 runs, unless supervision approves.

I think that the sightings reported earlier in the thread indicate when they are where.

The other thing it disproves is that the 6 routes indicated that they were going to try them in different places. Instead, the memo indicates that the 4 runs are so interlined that they add up to 7 routes. Again, the reports that 157 ends at Halsted confirm that.

The question of the day is......................when are these runs?

One of the known ones is 654 which starts at 7:22 as a 157 goes to a 121 and ends as a 120 at 9:13.

Another one MIGHT BE 743 which starts at 2:52 as a 7 school trip to Leamington and then deadheads to become a 125, does a trip on the 125 to Pearson and then travels short distance to Huron and Fairbanks to become a 121 ending at Jackson and Canal at 5:14.

• Upvote 2

This was put out the day before the buses were placed in service. If the buses still are operating on the listed runs, maybe someone at Kedzie can supply the actual times.

I noticed the bulletin prohibits operating the buses through 14.5 inches of water.

I wonder how likely it is for a CTA driver to encounter that much water [under viaducts maybe?]

Looks like #701 has run #654. There's a #7 right now terminating at Canal/Jackson at 4:00 sharp. I don't believe that's the other run so #700 might be taking it's spot tonight.

That is weird because 654 does not do 7-125 in PM rush. 701 most likely has 743. Must be an error on run box.

If you notice one has green placards inside the bus and the other one blue. These buses remind me alot of the NABI compobuses but I guess nobody can't complain since NF owns them. I can see why LA is switching over to Xcelsiors because they are virtually clones of the former equipment.

In the picture where you can't see the entire bus I see the resemblance. However, if an LA CompoBus was parked next to an LA Xcelsior you would probably think differently. The Xcelsior looks very different and, IMO, is a much more handsome bus. They are stunning in LA's California Poppy and Silver with a black front. They would be equally stunning in CTA's standard livery, too.

In the picture where you can't see the entire bus I see the resemblance. However, if an LA CompoBus was parked next to an LA Xcelsior you would probably think differently. The Xcelsior looks very different and, IMO, is a much more handsome bus. They are stunning in LA's California Poppy and Silver with a black front. They would be equally stunning in CTA's standard livery, too.

Yeah well the Xcelsior is probably the bus of the future here unless CTA doesn't buy NF which would be a real headscratcher. Looking at the similarities between the two, the seating layout looks identical as well as the rear design, the way it slopes up on an angle. But the bus is a 40 foot bus not a 45. Looks like they took a Compobus design and made it better shrinking the size of the bus, but it's funny the side destination sign I swear is on the second window in both buses. I need to see the front interior of a Compobus. Does it have that interior overhang the Xcelsior has? If so, that another similarity. But like I said before nobody can sue anybody because they have been bought out but it's something that makes me go hmm... B):lol:

Yeah well the Xcelsior is probably the bus of the future here unless CTA doesn't buy NF which would be a real headscratcher. Looking at the similarities between the two, the seating layout looks identical as well as the rear design, the way it slopes up on an angle. But the bus is a 40 foot bus not a 45. Looks like they took a Compobus design and made it better shrinking the size of the bus, but it's funny the side destination sign I swear is on the second window in both buses. I need to see the front interior of a Compobus. Does it have that interior overhang the Xcelsior has? If so, that another similarity. But like I said before nobody can sue anybody because they have been bought out but it's something that makes me go hmm... B):lol:

I live in San Diego, so I am not a regular LACMTA rider, but I might be up there this weekend. If I am, I will try to ride an Xcelsior and a CompoBus and let you know.

what about snow buildup on road surfaces?

That's a good question. Supposedly the test includes winter weather. Snow might only be 1/10th water, but again considering that Chicago uses corrosive substances to melt the snow, one doesn't know. The bus seems to run o.k. in Manitoba, though.

Yeah well the Xcelsior is probably the bus of the future here unless CTA doesn't buy NF which would be a real headscratcher.....

Since the future after 8349 is not going to be until 2019, I wouldn't bet on what would be available by then.Who would have figured in 2003 that Nova would be back? Who would have figured that the LF would be gone (not to mention later on the short life of the LFR).

The only relevance of the Compobus is what LA is going to do if it decides to replace 45 foot buses with 45 foot buses? NABI was resurrected essentially for them, but is dead again, and Cerberus left the Compobus technology in Hungary.

We haven't gotten that far yet. The order only goes up to 8199 currently, unless the CTA approved the option for 150 additional buses, but I haven't seen any mention of that in the 7900-series Nova LFS - Deliveries & Assignments topic yet.

The reference was to the budget, which said that they intended to exercise that option in 2015. Go to the budget topic. Or better yet, download the budget yourself (since primary authority controls).

• Upvote 1

That's a good question. Supposedly the test includes winter weather. Snow might only be 1/10th water, but again considering that Chicago uses corrosive substances to melt the snow, one doesn't know. The bus seems to run o.k. in Manitoba, though.

Since the future after 8349 is not going to be until 2019, I wouldn't bet on what would be available by then.Who would have figured in 2003 that Nova would be back? Who would have figured that the LF would be gone (not to mention later on the short life of the LFR).

The only relevance of the Compobus is what LA is going to do if it decides to replace 45 foot buses with 45 foot buses? NABI was resurrected essentially for them, but is dead again, and Cerberus left the Compobus technology in Hungary.

Well they are probably not buying BYD buses that are mired in controversial labor practices. NABI is dead. Novas I believe were purchased with the idea of saving money using a few compatible parts off the other #6400's. Once you take off the window dressing it's basically the same bus. So i think it's a safe bet they will go with NF here. Gillig doesn't seem to be a contender on bids here and Eldorado National seems to be Pace Bus' NF majority/go to bus of choice.

Looks like #701 has run #654. There's a #7 right now terminating at Canal/Jackson at 4:00 sharp. I don't believe that's the other run so #700 might be taking it's spot tonight.

On Bustracker yesterday 700 left the school about 30 minutes later than on previous days and was behind 701. At that time (15:42) 700 was going to Canal/Jackson and 701 to Congress Plaza. When I looked about 15 minutes later 701 was showing Canal/Jackson and 700 Congress Plaza so they had switched on route due to 700 leaving late.

On Bustracker yesterday 700 left the school about 30 minutes later than on previous days and was behind 701. At that time (15:42) 700 was going to Canal/Jackson and 701 to Congress Plaza. When I looked about 15 minutes later 701 was showing Canal/Jackson and 700 Congress Plaza so they had switched on route due to 700 leaving late.

And thanks to that I got to see #700, but it was running late pulling in last night on the #7. Normally it should be around UIC WB (Halsted/Harrison) around 7:20 PM. At that time it was still at State/Jackson EB. There was two #7's stacked behind him within 10 minutes. Going back west #700 was a pull in, The next run with #807 (the bus) his follower was going to Central and his follower on another #800 was pulling in too. So they had two pullins within 10 minutes there. There was a different operator last night than before maybe this was his first time driving the bus. I thought that the #700 ad rack might have been darker than the #701 one but I might be wrong.

One of the known ones is 654 which starts at 7:22 as a 157 goes to a 121 and ends as a 120 at 9:13.

Another one MIGHT BE 743 which starts at 2:52 as a 7 school trip to Leamington and then deadheads to become a 125, does a trip on the 125 to Pearson and then travels short distance to Huron and Fairbanks to become a 121 ending at Jackson and Canal at 5:14.

In the morning

701 has been on:-

7:25 15th/Washenaw - 157 to Halsted/ Taylor at 7:43

8:05 Union Station - 121 to Faibanks Chicago at 8:24

8:50 Navy Pier - 124 to Union Station 9;12

9:14 Union Station - 124 to Navy Pier 9:36 END

700 has been on

7:42 Huron/McClurg - 121 to Union Station at 8:01 (is it used on the 7:19 ex Union Station?)

8:10 Union Station - 121 to Fairbanks Ohio at 8:28

8:33 McClurg/ Huron - 120 to Ogilvie at 8:49

8:57 Ogilvie - 120 to Fairbanks/ Chicago 9:13 END

The 15:11 ex Harrison/ Leamington (today is 701 not 700) - 7 to Clinton/Jackson at 16:00

Then it does 16:10 Harrison/Des Plaines - 125 to Pearson/Mies Van der Rohe 16:38,

followed by 16:50 Huron/ Fairbanks - 121 to Union Station 17:14 according to ajm522, then anything else?

ctabustracker shows 700 is on the 7 only journeys today which I believe are:

15:41 Harrison/Central - 7 to Congress Plaza 16:44

16:55 Congress Plaza - 7 to Harrison / Central 17:53

18:02 Harrison / Central - 7 to Congress Plaza 18:52

19:02 Congress Plaza - 7 to Congress/Kedzie 19:34

While there are similarities, New Flyer introduced the Xcelsior in 2008 long before it even thought to gobble NABI last year. So one would think if NF was using enough design elements on the Xcelsior that made you go his is a redressed Compobus, NABI would have been putting up a stink. But anyway I look at an Xcelsior and see an upgrade on the LFR redesign long before I think Compobus. :lol: