CTA at IRM

teck22

IRM is fundraising for an additional trolley bus/motor bus garage.

IRM Motor Bus / Trolley Bus Garage

"The Illinois Railway Museum Bus Departments (Motor Bus & Trolley Bus) are actively seeking donations to build an additional garage. We have a large fleet of 20 trolley coaches, 9 motor buses with more of both on the way."

http://www.gofundme.com/mlfvx4

Bob

• Upvote 3

My hope has been dashed that a Flyer D901A would've been saved and preserved at one of these museums. The only "preserved" one was #1606, which wasn't really preserved as the CTA purposely seized the motor and rendered it useless and inoperable now. I can imagine it's nothing more than a tin can now, and that is sad.... even though these buses weren't a big part of CTA's history, they were the most recognized from my childhood, like many on the forum may remember the GM Fishbowls growing up.

If there is some off chance #1606 is still somewhere out there in a barn, there's little chance of it being operable again. The engine would need to be replaced with a functioning Detroit Diesel 6V92(or 6V71 for authenticity) and a Voith 731 transmission I believe. That is sad...... :(

"The Illinois Railway Museum Bus Departments (Motor Bus & Trolley Bus) are actively seeking donations to build an additional garage. We have a large fleet of 20 trolley coaches, 9 motor buses with more of both on the way."

Bob

Good for them. Hopefully they are successful. Maybe they could acquire the CTA historic bus fleet after all. If #1606 is still out there I'm sure it could be rebuilt, plus there are many other buses floating around in other peoples collections. They should partner up with a few people and at least get them some indoor storage cause it's hard to save something if it's outside.

Bob

I have an ex-CTA Flxible Metro bus that i may be able to donate in the future.

Good for them. Hopefully they are successful. Maybe they could acquire the CTA historic bus fleet after all. If #1606 is still out there I'm sure it could be rebuilt, plus there are many other buses floating around in other peoples collections. They should partner up with a few people and at least get them some indoor storage cause it's hard to save something if it's outside.

Im told the CTA historic bus collection is still sitting at South Shops with some more gems sitting down there! :)

I hope so, BusHunter.... that's probably the last CTA Flyer that didn't get scrapped. All the former Workbuses that were retained after retirement in 2002 are no doubt scrapped. Hopefully, if #1606 is around, the last CTA Flyer D901A most likely, it'll have a shot at being rebuilt and operable again.... perhaps in it's former livery from 1983....

http://www.busdrawings.com/Transit/illinois/chicago/1983d901a/9850.jpg

Good for them. Hopefully they are successful. Maybe they could acquire the CTA historic bus fleet after all.....

But can we please understand that everything can't be preserved. Take a picture now it will truly last longer later.

Besides that, the appeal is to build a barn to store what they have, not to get more.

IRM volunteers can rebuild stuff, like wooden streetcars that had been converted to salt cars, but, to take sw's example, I don't think there is much upside for volunteers rebuilding a heap of a bus that was not significant in transit history.

The appeal seems to be broader than to house just the current collection

"We have a large fleet of 20 trolley coaches, 9 motor buses with more of both on the way."

Bob

But it didn't say that the appeal was to buy and rebuild more, even if I missed what you put in bold.

The appeal I put out for donations to build another storage building for the motor/trolley buses at IRM is mainly for FUTURE acquisitions. Coaches that have been approved by the museum Board as well as some others we have our eyes on. I really don't like discussing ongoing negotiations. This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with anyone currently or anything that has happened recently. It's just that the museum has been burned by situations that have arisen from making things public before all the Ts are crossed and Is dotted. I apologize if there hasn't been much in the way of info about this from me in the past - that's the reason.

The new building will also be our maintenance shop. I had a lengthy discussion with the Buildings guy at IRM just today and we agreed that a pit is essential to the continued success of the department with regards to maintenance and restoration of the coaches. This will make the department mechanics VERY happy!!

I agree with Juniorz that we can't save everything, but with a new garage we can at least have more leverage with the museum management to acquire important pieces of history. Some buses should be turned into razor blades, but it's painful when it happens to a good bus. BusHunter said that it's hard to save something that's outside. I think we all know what Chicago weather does to vehicles stored outside. Yet another reason to build a new garage. Finally Busjack is spot on with the observation of why spend time and money trying to restore a wreck that has no significance. We have tried to be and will continue to be diligent in deciding what to try and acquire. Condition, mechanical MORE IMPORTANTLY than cosmetic, is a critical part of our evaluation.

We are all working very hard to get this money raised so the building can go up so we can provide a suitable home to our current and future historic vehicles. Thanks to Btrainto63rdand Stony for reposting here and to all of you who have either donated or reposted the link on other groups.

Ray

I was talking with someone I know that said #1606 was scrapped and the propane #8700 flx which I find hard to believe. Not that they were lying but the news just shocks me that's all. But I guess if the buses are too bad off they must be scrapped. I think they said that CHBM was having financial difficulties and had to shrink the fleet. Some of the buses they had were scrapped. I think even #375 went also. They still have the TMC #4550 and #9799. I believe they kept #8723, the pace orion bus and a few others. Their site chbm.org no longer works, but they have a facebook page which shows some of their collection.

I was talking with someone I know that said #1606 was scrapped and the propane #8700 flx which I find hard to believe. Not that they were lying but the news just shocks me that's all. But I guess if the buses are too bad off they must be scrapped. I think they said that CHBM was having financial difficulties and had to shrink the fleet. Some of the buses they had were scrapped. I think even #375 went also. They still have the TMC #4550 and #9799. I believe they kept #8723, the pace orion bus and a few others. Their site chbm.org no longer works, but they have a facebook page which shows some of their collection.

I can't speak to decisions that were made at CHBM, but IRM's role is as follows. In May 2011 the management of CHBM came to us and asked if some of their collection and members could merge with IRM as they were experiencing storage issues. The following month the museum Board approved the acquisition. At that time we acquired the 8006, 9799 and 8715. Those coaches are all currently in IRM's collection.

.....I believe they kept #8723, the pace orion bus and a few others. Their site chbm.org no longer works, but they have a facebook page which shows some of their collection.

Pace2322 had posted that he had 8723. 5750 had posted videos of 9799 at IRM and the two of them probably know what happened to the rest of CHBM, but I seem to remember posts about pop cans.

On the point about significance, clearly 9799 is significant as being the last of 1870 1970s New Looks (but not on the web roster), but as I noted above, one of about 190 Flyers isn't.

I can't speak to decisions that were made at CHBM, but IRM's role is as follows. In May 2011 the management of CHBM came to us and asked if some of their collection and members could merge with IRM as they were experiencing storage issues. The following month the museum Board approved the acquisition. At that time we acquired the 8006, 9799 and 8715. Those coaches are all currently in IRM's collection.

That's good to hear about #8715. Cause I was told it was gone and I thought the propane bus was special. #9799's in real good condition. It has driven around quite a bit, even from california.

That's good to hear about #8715. Cause I was told it was gone and I thought the propane bus was special. #9799's in real good condition. It has driven around quite a bit, even from california.

The curator of the Electric Car Dept is very interested in working on the 8715 and hopes he can get it operational. He hasn't begun the work yet but he has my full support in this endeavor. Have a propane running, are you kidding, of course he has my support! Unfortunately the 9799 is NOT in real good condition. It has floor issues and serious problems with the air system (salt corrosion).

It sounded kind of rough in the video 5750 posted when he was driving it at IRM.

CTA #9799 liked it rough!!! ;) LOL! Actually only the brakes were a bit soft at the time i was driving in the video.Other than that it drove well considering being a museum bus.

It sounded kind of rough in the video 5750 posted when he was driving it at IRM.

Yeah the way he was driving it around it looked like it was running good. At least it's a common model and their should still be parts around. Now that #375 is history, it makes #301 all that more special cause it's the last one. I hope to see #8715 running someday, but I have faith that the bus is in good hands. The restorative work they do in the shops there is just simply amazing.

Unfortunately the 9799 is NOT in real good condition. It has floor issues and serious problems with the air system (salt corrosion).

Body needs a prime and paint job too.... some large rust spots that are very noticeable too that'll eat the body up if left unattended....

I saw the video cta5750 posted. To me, it sounded ok, but I'm not as familiar with the Fishbowls as I am the not-so-well liked D901A's, so I'll respect your audible observations without disagreement.

I tried to search for a baseball figure of cost to restore a GM Fishbowl, but came up with nothing. I would make a speculation it would be in the ballpark of $75,000-$500,000 , which is a large range, but that's the best price range I would speculate for cost without definite figures.

post-10-0-56538800-1424678694_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-30783800-1424678712_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-84731200-1424678732_thumb.jpg

I tried to search for a baseball figure of cost to restore a GM Fishbowl, but came up with nothing. I would make a speculation it would be in the ballpark of $75,000-$500,000 , which is a large range, but that's the best price range I would speculate for cost without definite figures.

To put that into perspective, the bus cost about $75,000 when new (about 40 years ago). And, of course,the reason CTA gave for retiring that series about 20 years ago was "we can't find parts for them" including after cannibalizing some Pace South (CSSMTD) buses. So, you are probably talking a good bunch of custom made parts 20 years after that.

CTA #9799 liked it rough!!! ;) LOL! Actually only the brakes were a bit soft at the time i was driving in the video.Other than that it drove well considering being a museum bus.

I turns out that I didn't have to search for that video, as there was a frame of it at the end of the 700-701 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9c4I-d-Bmyo

The motor doesn't sound that bad, but something was sure rattling on deceleration.

One can also note that it has the 1970s era farebox instead of the GFI one

The 9799 runs very well. It's the floor and air system that's the issue. You are correct, the department mechanics say that it will be big bucks to repair. We really want to focus on the new garage vs pouring a ton of money into a big restoration job like that. The new garage will give us a great place to work on the buses as we are planning on having a pit, the lack of which is currently REALLY hampering our efforts. Once we have that pit, we'll be able to get under that and all the coaches to do the work properly.

Thanks for the kind words BusHunter. We hope that the "community" feels that the collection is in good hands. We do our best to be adequate shepherds of the collection, albeit with limited manpower and resources.

The 9799 runs very well. It's the floor and air system that's the issue. You are correct, the department mechanics say that it will be big bucks to repair. We really want to focus on the new garage vs pouring a ton of money into a big restoration job like that. The new garage will give us a great place to work on the buses as we are planning on having a pit, the lack of which is currently REALLY hampering our efforts. Once we have that pit, we'll be able to get under that and all the coaches to do the work properly.

Thanks for the kind words BusHunter. We hope that the "community" feels that the collection is in good hands. We do our best to be adequate shepherds of the collection, albeit with limited manpower and resources.

I wonder could it be fixed by buying another similar bus and picking it for parts. Maybe something that was south or in Cali where it don't snow. You can save alot by doing that. I thought somewhere in Canada they still run fishbowls today but they are extremely rare to see in service. The older buses now might be harder to find the parts for like the flx's, cause they are 50 years old versus 35-38. Maybe in some instances you might have to make a replica of the part to replace the real thing. The important thing is it's running and that's good.

I turns out that I didn't have to search for that video, as there was a frame of it at the end of the 700-701 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9c4I-d-Bmyo

The motor doesn't sound that bad, but something was sure rattling on deceleration.

One can also note that it has the 1970s era farebox instead of the GFI one

I had fun that day! :) Getting the opportunity to relive memories of my dad when he drove these buses out of North Ave Garage in the 1970s/80s and at Forest Glen in the 1980s/90s. I even got to do his signature bus driver "hand on the farebox" move!!! LOL! :) I always thought my dad looked so cool when he did that especially in the turns. :) Gave me goose bumps and hearing that accelerating GM V8 engine! :) I really miss these buses! I do have a video of my dad driving a 9200 series GM on Irving Park around 1994. I will try to post it here. :)