755/855 Expansion Coming Forthwith.

MetroShadow

58 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Back to this debate. Today I saw an unwrapped bus using the shoulder on route 775. I thought it was bus 6389 but that is a South bus, unless it was moved to SW.

No, it was on 877 yesterday.I suppose it could be  loaner.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

And back there this morning

Probably was 6388 that I saw yesterday. Actually I think I also saw 6389 on the Tri State so I must have been confused. I did see 6388 again today deadheading to Toyota Park for 856.

Nobody else was surprised by the unwrapped bus on shoulder sighting?

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

Nobody else was surprised by the unwrapped bus on shoulder sighting?

Maybe for starters, and based on 6977-9, it doesn't have to be "wrapped," (even if that term has been used, including by me), but whether it has the "Authorized to Use the Shoulder" stripes. Or maybe the State Police is not as concerned as it once was.

55 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Maybe for starters, and based on 6977-9, it doesn't have to be "wrapped," (even if that term has been used, including by me), but whether it has the "Authorized to Use the Shoulder" stripes. Or maybe the State Police is not as concerned as it once was.

The one I saw had no side markings at all. Maybe it had the bumper decals, which I didn't notice. After seeing this and 6510-12, I agree the only conclusion we can make is that the supposition that "BOS buses must be wrapped" isn't absolutely true.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/3/2017 at 0:08 AM, mel bernero said:

Here is a photograph of 6977. Simplified wrap.

Pace 6977 Jefferson-Taylor.JPG

I'm usually not a fan of motor coaches that are for transit use but I agree that this newer coach picked up by Pace is sleek looking bus the way the livery is done here.

12 hours ago, jajuan said:

I'm usually not a fan of motor coaches that are for transit use but I agree that this newer coach picked up by Pace is sleek looking bus the way the livery is done here.

A lot of TAs are using coaches for commuter routes.  Houston METRO, is one example.  NJ Transit is well known for it.  It has become popular enough that MIC and now Prevost have commuter  coach product lines.  Once upon a time private  coach companies were  primarily responsible for commuter  service.  Before PACE ventured into it, this area's only commuter service was Hammond Yellow serving NW Indiana to downtown commuters.  Pace route 855 was operated  by private carriers Keeshin/Coach USA, Neal's, Mid America  and even Greyhound used to operate the 855.  Each carrier used their own equipment using a dedicated fleet for the service.   Greyhound  even had the Pace logo painted near the door entrance.

I love motorcoaches period  so I am excited to see TAs use coaches for longer haul commuter routes.

On 10/19/2017 at 5:59 AM, Busjack said:

NY MTA has a lot of them, and bought a lot after it took over the private bus companies (roster) and it has an order with Prevost for 45 footers.

AC Transit is swapping out MCI commuters in ordering 60 footers and double deckers. We went into a discussion years back about using double deckers; but in the Bay Area context they’re going to be more effective on maintenance than the OTRs (they have suburban Gillig’s as well).

10 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

AC Transit is swapping out MCI commuters in ordering 60 footers and double deckers. We went into a discussion years back about using double deckers; but in the Bay Area context they’re going to be more effective on maintenance than the OTRs (they have suburban Gillig’s as well).

The suburban Axess buses seem generally adequate, but don't have the seating capacity the MCIs have (which was a problem on I-55), and, of course, I don't see Pace going to artics.

The biggest joke was that Rochester NY RTS was (and may still be) running suburban artics, even though the apparent objective on most Park and Ride routes was to fill about half the seats.

20 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

How could maintenance be more effective on attics compared to OTRs unless the OTRs are VanHools?

On 10/22/2017 at 4:22 PM, artthouwill said:

How could maintenance be more effective on attics compared to OTRs unless the OTRs are VanHools?

Any bus can be used on any route. Even the OTR'S. And I’ve seen standard 40footers be used on Transbay. The blocking gets janky. 

(Fun fact, their scheduling manager was once a scheduler for CTA for a while)

The OTRs are also older, which the maintenance costs would be higher to maintain (and operationally different) than a 60ft. That said, the District started using suburban Gilligs (and the double deckers coming next summer) to address this issue. 

And the artics I’ve seen here have been used on the NL and O, which are all day services. You'll likely get a couple on the NX/Macarthur Corridor but it relies on space at the (temporary and New) Transbay Terminal.

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, rotjohns said:

Believe it or not, I'm curious to know if even that's enough to accommodate.

755 and 855 combined get just over 1000 riders per day. That includes some who get on at Old Chicago (755) and Burr Ridge (855). Also figure that some people carpool or are dropped off.

The press release says "530 daily trips", presumably meaning only those trips from Plainfield. So 600 spaces should be enough for the immediate future. It remains to be seen whether more parking will attract people who currently park elsewhere.