garmon757

garmon757

I decided to create this topic to give all of you an opportunity to express your opinions about me. It can be positive/negative feedback (transit related), what you like and don't like about me, what do I need to improve on, etc. The doors are open.

I think garmon757 is nice guy for go to South Shop to take picture of bus for us and I have no negative feedback about him because I find him nice person in the world :rolleyes: .

• Upvote 4

You should never concern yourself with what people think about you. You seem like a nice guy. Thats all that matters! If someone is not a fan of yours, Who cares what negativity people think??? You are who you are!

I decided to create this topic to give all of you an opportunity to express your opinions about me. It can be positive/negative feedback (transit related), what you like and don't like about me, what do I need to improve on, etc. The doors are open.

Well, I'm really happy you're on this forum. You're always on top of the 5000 Series deliveries, and from what I've seen on the bus forums, you've got some good pictures on there too. I like how you're more out and about, willing to take and share photos for us. As others have said, you're a nice guy. Thanks! :)

• Upvote 2

Yeah I think we are feeding off each other, which is a good thing for members here. I wasn't taking pictures of buses and now since Garmon came around I'm taking pictures. We are really becoming a team, he does his part at south shops and I take care of the new in service stuff. He does the same with the lists, telling us what's at south shops and I'm kind of like the guy that goes out in the field and tries to prove or disprove what he has pointed out to me. He is a valuable asset here on the forum, This is good for us because we can't be everywhere at once and new stuff gets pointed out by other members that adds even more to the forum. This is why I tend to stick to this forum, there is a greater intelligence here than the other forums. We have the insiders, like Andre, that tell us of future things happening and try to keep the ship on course if we should drift in our information. I have my sources too that just adds to the team. We have the Busjack's that point out the legal ramifications of things, and the sw4400's that point out things of a mechanical nature and the countless other eyes on the system. It makes it a team. I'd be lying if I said Garmon wasn't a valuable piece of the forum. I don't know what we we do without you Garmon, you have made the world a better place.

• Upvote 6

garmon,

you go above and beyond for all that you do for us here. You have cemented yourself to be a outstanding member of our forum, doing what you do to get the pictures and video of the equipment you do. I wouldn't dare venture to South Shops to get pictures or video(77th either) for the most part because of the neighborhoods I'd have to walk/take transit through just to get there. But you say "Screw it, I'm doing it for the forum!" and go out and do what you do day in and day out. We all have our forum members who provide essential information to this website to make us the #1 transit-enthusiast website on Chicago Mass Transit.

If I had to compare us with a popular Chicago Team, I'd say we are like the Chicago Bulls Dynasty of the '90's.

You got Kevin who's like Phil Jackson... he's the leader who keeps us playing by the rules. You got the Jordan figure, Pippen figure, Grant figure, Paxson figure and Cartwright figure, which IMO it's hard to put forum members to these roles, but you get the figure... we are the Chicago Transit Forum Dynasty!!! The #1 Transit Forum for Chicago Public Transit!!!

A little music intro for us(I had to hear it for four years in High School as an alert before the tardy bell, and it's stuck in my head, but it serves purpose here)

• Upvote 3

I know someone who likes to say "what other people think about me is none of my business." That said, I think you are one of the more even-tempered members of this forum. No drama, no bloviating, just the facts. And the pics of buses.

• Upvote 2

Thank you Garmon and all who contribute generously to the forum. As a student away from the city, I don't have much to offer to everyone here, but this is one of those times where a post is deserved for all the posts I view on a daily basis. It really helps for those times when you're homesick :).

• Upvote 2

garmon757 goes ON THE FIELD & WORKS. This is not a paid gig that many of us do, to witness an agency from observation and to know it by detail takes more than observing a website and spending countless hours of reading. these websites should be used as reference points, the real job begins by grabbing a camera, going out on the field and seeing historical moments being created. using YOUR OWN MATERIAL FOR REFERENCE POINTS. Thats the only way to learn.

• Upvote 2

I gotta ask, since I'm not on here anywhere near as much as I used to be, did someone say something nasty that prompted this topic?

In general, I can say that people can be jerks. Moreso when they are behind a computer monitor. If someone was knocking your pics or posts, keep that in mind.

Frankly, I'm still surprised no one has gotten on my rear for any of my griping about the poor management of Pace North Division. (Now's your chance everyone! :)), though in my case, some of it is from being involved in labor issues by way of written testimony, and in one case, testifying against them in court.

For all the behind the scenes type stuff you've put pictures of up, that's basically gold here.

• Upvote 2

I didn't create this topic because of anybody nor anything negative. I created this topic because of me bringing positivity across the entire forum. I've been a transit enthusiast for almost 18 years. Every year that went past, I developed myself by expanding my knowledge of public transportation (not just CTA/Pace/Metra). Growing up, my family was amazed how I utilized my knowledge of CTA. It began when my mother and grandmother were shocked when I went to my grandmother house after school by taking the Green Line on Central to Kedzie and taking #52 from Green Line to 13th when I was 6 years old. I didn't think a child around that age wouldn't know how to travel like that and not get lost. I was surprised that I didn't get in trouble because of that! :lol: I started to learn Pace routes and operations in 2006 and Metra in 2008. Now my profile said that I've joined this forum in 2012 but I didn't start interacting with members until November last year. I was very skeptical of posting on here because I thought to myself whether I fit in or not. It was a rocky start after I started posting on here but I had to think to myself by realizing that it was going to take some time for some members to get use to me since I was new. I have learned a lot being on here and with extraordinary members. It's like saying that I have a virtual family :lol: but who knows, I might just see some of y'all in person when the time comes! :D I have never thought that I made a hell of a difference on here but I'm deeply grateful for having an opportunity to bring the best of my experience into this forum and receiving much appreciation and gratitude. Thank you all very much for the comments, recognition, support, and advice!!! :D

• Upvote 5

• 4 weeks later...

First, when you say accident involving my bike, two things pop in my mind...

• 1st and foremost: How are you doing? If you were involved and it was a bike vs. MVA, that could be pretty serious, and you have a lot to be here for(from past avatar pics)
  • 2nd: A bike can always be replaced... it might take a little time shopping and a little $$ needed to save up, but you'll find a new bike.

The important point is whether Garmon has been deprived of his health or means of livelihood. Get better, but I hope you got the license plate number.

Sorry to hear that. That does sound serious especially if it was a mva. Thankfully I've log in about 1,000 miles (probably more than that) on a bike and never had an accident. Just like with a car you have to defensive drive expecting the unexpected. Just because there are bike lanes doesn't make you totally safe. Bike trails are way safer.

#1057 is released from south shops on the #4. #1888 is released from south shops on the #54B

Thanks guys. This scenario happened almost 3 AM on Saturday. I was on my bike on State Street (NO F'ING BIKE LANES!!!) heading north towards the Red Line on my way to work (in Evanston) but all of a sudden, a taxi was double parked while it was in my lane even though I had enough space to squeeze in between the taxi and the parked cars but unfortunately the passenger inside the taxi didn't realize that I was about to go past the taxi resulting me hitting the right side if the door and causing me to fly off my bike. The passenger kindly enough to check on me to see if I was ok but the taxi driver disregarded me and my injuries by leaving the scene in which I'm really pissed off about that. I was transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and found out that my right knee was badly swollen and bruised while it was badly scraped up and I have to get stitches on my left hand. Also, my bike is permanently destroyed. Now I don't know where to turn to when it comes to filing a lawsuit. I'm waiting on the doctor bill and according to the invoice (or crash test) from Rapid Transit Cycleshop in Wicker Park, the cost of the damage on behalf of my bike is roughly $400. Now, I'm unable to work because of the fact that I don't have a bike. That's lost wages...... :angry::(

Thanks guys. This scenario happened almost 3 AM on Saturday. I was on my bike on State Street (NO F'ING BIKE LANES!!!) heading north towards the Red Line on my way to work (in Evanston) but all of a sudden, a taxi was double parked while it was in my lane even though I had enough space to squeeze in between the taxi and the parked cars but unfortunately the passenger inside the taxi didn't realize that I was about to go past the taxi resulting me hitting the right side if the door and causing me to fly off my bike. The passenger kindly enough to check on me to see if I was ok but the taxi driver disregarded me and my injuries by leaving the scene in which I'm really pissed off about that. I was transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and found out that my right knee was badly swollen and bruised while it was badly scraped up and I have to get stitches on my left hand. Also, my bike is permanently destroyed. Now I don't know where to turn to when it comes to filing a lawsuit. I'm waiting on the doctor bill and according to the invoice (or crash test) from Rapid Transit Cycleshop in Wicker Park, the cost of the damage on behalf of my bike is roughly $400. Now, I'm unable to work because of the fact that I don't have a bike. That's lost wages...... :angry::(

Sorry about your injuries and that it was your work bike (as I figured).

I suppose that if anyone were liable, the taxi dispatch company would be (or would tell you what the insurance company is). However, from what you describe, I don't see any negligence on its part, in that you were trying to go between cars and the passenger was exiting on the right. Most of the stink in these kind of accidents is when the driver opens the left door without looking (assuming that the bike is in traffic and not in a sheltered lane).

The other question is whether you are independent or an employee of someone else, in the latter case workers' compensation would apply. However, if you are independent, I guess you need insurance.

The CTA Tattler is usually where these bike vs. traffic things is debated, but to put a transit spin on it, I don't see how bike lanes like on East 55th are safe when the bus lane crosses over it to get to the bus stop.

• Upvote 1

Damn you didn't get the taxi number that was his fault. You shouldn't have to pay anything. Thankfully no broken bones. That's good. I have fallen off my bike at full speed and that's not fun. Had a gash about the size of a silver dollar where my skin on my knee had been ripped off and the skin on my knuckles on my hand were all ripped off about the size of dime but like 3 of 5 fingers. Best part about it was I was scheduled to take graduation pictures the next week from school and my fingers were all messed up the photographer did a good touchup and it looks good. But yeah people can be an ass. I got up my knee was dripping blood down my leg and some guy was sitting in his car laughing at me. Maybe the same thing will happen to him one day. I never went to er or hospital just cleaned myself up at the park but boy I was sore on the knee for a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

I have no idea where this recent discussion came from, but I'm really sorry that happened to you. I hope you recover soon too. I'm saying what we all know, but taxi drivers are straight up crazies. Also, I've never been in a bike lane, but I think they should make them a bit wider, or put more in in your case.

• Upvote 2

Sorry about your injuries and that it was your work bike (as I figured).

I suppose that if anyone were liable, the taxi dispatch company would be (or would tell you what the insurance company is). However, from what you describe, I don't see any negligence on its part, in that you were trying to go between cars and the passenger was exiting on the right. Most of the stink in these kind of accidents is when the driver opens the left door without looking (assuming that the bike is in traffic and not in a sheltered lane).

The other question is whether you are independent or an employee of someone else, in the latter case workers' compensation would apply. However, if you are independent, I guess you need insurance.

The CTA Tattler is usually where these bike vs. traffic things is debated, but to put a transit spin on it, I don't see how bike lanes like on East 55th are safe when the bus lane crosses over it to get to the bus stop.

Damn you didn't get the taxi number that was his fault. You shouldn't have to pay anything. Thankfully no broken bones. That's good. I have fallen off my bike at full speed and that's not fun. Had a gash about the size of a silver dollar where my skin on my knee had been ripped off and the skin on my knuckles on my hand were all ripped off about the size of dime but like 3 of 5 fingers. Best part about it was I was scheduled to take graduation pictures the next week from school and my fingers were all messed up the photographer did a good touchup and it looks good. But yeah people can be an ass. I got up my knee was dripping blood down my leg and some guy was sitting in his car laughing at me. Maybe the same thing will happen to him one day. I never went to er or hospital just cleaned myself up at the park but boy I was sore on the knee for a few weeks.

I am an independent contractor for GrubHub. I do have the cab number and the name of the company. I consider the driver very responsible because of the fact that he left the scene. That's a no no in my opinion. BusHunter, you're silly but kudos for handling all that like a man! :lol: The bottom line is it's not fair for anybody to suffer with or without injuries and I'm out of my job for God knows how long.

I have no idea where this recent discussion came from, but I'm really sorry that happened to you. I hope you recover soon too. I'm saying what we all know, but taxi drivers are straight up crazies. Also, I've never been in a bike lane, but I think they should make them a bit wider, or put more in in your case.

Thanks. This was brought up in the NF 1000-series/Rehabs thread but I switched it to this thread to show relevancy.

I am an independent contractor for GrubHub. I do have the cab number and the name of the company. I consider the driver very responsible because of the fact that he left the scene. That's a no no in my opinion. BusHunter, you're silly but kudos for handling all that like a man! :lol: The bottom line is it's not fair for anybody to suffer with or without injuries and I'm out of my job for God knows how long.

The independent contractor part puts you in the hole. The only thing I can suggest is don't take advice from here, but call up one of the personal injury lawyers that is all over the TV and bus wraps. As they say, they don't cost unless they recover something.

If you don't trust TV, you can go to lawyers.com or findlaw.com, each based on a leading publisher's legal directory.

Thanks. This was brought up in the NF 1000-series/Rehabs thread but I switched it to this thread to show relevancy.

Makes sense. Also, can you use any bike for your job, or do you have to use a company bike? I have a smallish bike sitting around in Woodstock. It just needs some air and a switch fixed, and it should be fine.