garmon757

garmon757

It's ok. At first, I thought to myself saying how does this guy didn't recognize me??? xD :P

​There, clicked more carefully that time! xD

To be fair, when I got your first request, I had just woken up and was looking at my phone sidways half-asleep, so tapping a button was of questionable difficulty :P

Edited by briman94
  • Upvote 1

Marty Bernard, J.J. Sedelmaier, Lou Gerard, and David Harrison have the best photos in that group!!!

​David Harrison has some good ones, since he does a lot of the Snowflake Specials and such. I also like all of the historical photos the other guys put on the page.

...I had just woken up and was looking at my phone sidways half-asleep, so tapping a button was of questionable difficulty :P

Sleep can do bad things to you sometimes. :ph34r:

• Upvote 2

• 11 months later...
19 hours ago, garmon757 said:

@sw4400 @MTRSP1900-CTA3200 Here are the stuff I've bought from Fry's excluding the Xbox 360 controller (Best Buy).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice stuff!! Have you been to Micro Center in Lincoln Pk? They carry a bunch of controllers and have lots of pc's. I think they are kind of high priced but if you want something special they probably have it. They have empty towers that you can build your own pc in. If you are scared like me you will mess up building it you can just buy your own prebuilt gaming computer. I got one for about $540 online a few years ago and put a 750ti video card in it and it plays all the games I can get that are current DX11 games. It plays like a $1500 or $2000 computer. Nvidia gives me regular updates and everything. It's so cool without breaking the bank. From now on I'm buying gaming computers and not wasting my time on the regular pc's. It's similar to this, but it's red.

http://www.amazon.com/CybertronPC-TGM4213A-FX-4130-GeForce-1600MHz/dp/B00GFG1B1A

Wow price dropped to $438. That's damn good for the price. Just slap a good video card into that and you are a god!! Nothing has stopped it so far.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Nice stuff!! Have you been to Micro Center in Lincoln Pk? They carry a bunch of controllers and have lots of pc's. I think they are kind of high priced but if you want something special they probably have it. They have empty towers that you can build your own pc in. If you are scared like me you will mess up building it you can just buy your own prebuilt gaming computer. I got one for about $540 online a few years ago and put a 750ti video card in it and it plays all the games I can get that are current DX11 games. It plays like a $1500 or $2000 computer. Nvidia gives me regular updates and everything. It's so cool without breaking the bank. From now on I'm buying gaming computers and not wasting my time on the regular pc's. It's similar to this, but it's red.

http://www.amazon.com/CybertronPC-TGM4213A-FX-4130-GeForce-1600MHz/dp/B00GFG1B1A

Wow price dropped to $438. That's damn good for the price. Just slap a good video card into that and you are a god!! Nothing has stopped it so far.

Thanks! I heard about them but never went there. Seems like you were in paradise when you got that card eh? :P:P:P

I have Nvdia GTX 950 and so far it's been performing very well. The greatest thing about my laptop that I can overclock the GPU without burning the motherboard. 

1 minute ago, garmon757 said:

Thanks! I heard about them but never went there. Seems like you were in paradise when you got that card eh? :P:P:P

I have Nvdia GTX 950 and so far it's been performing very well. The greatest thing about my laptop that I can overclock the GPU without burning the motherboard. 

That's a good card, probably better than mine but it's newer it should be better. Seems like a 660 might be the cutoff for playing the newer games. When I was looking at boards my primary concern was it running too hot. The 750ti runs cool, you hardly ever hear the fan on my computer, but it's gaming,  so it's well ventilated. They have bigger cards yet. There's actually one called the Titan that's like 1K in price. 12GB 

On April 2, 2016 at 11:54 AM, BusHunter said:

That's a good card, probably better than mine but it's newer it should be better. Seems like a 660 might be the cutoff for playing the newer games. When I was looking at boards my primary concern was it running too hot. The 750ti runs cool, you hardly ever hear the fan on my computer, but it's gaming,  so it's well ventilated. They have bigger cards yet. There's actually one called the Titan that's like 1K in price. 12GB 

My desktop has the 570GTX installed since 2011, and it runs almost everything without a hitch. The exception is Flight Simulator X, but that game wasn't really optimized well. It runs newer games with excellent frame rates, but it starts to run a bit hot (I can hear the fan running). I thought about swapping it out for a better video card, but it's held up so well against the newer games that the idea of upgrading is on the back burner for now.

2 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

My desktop has the 570GTX installed since 2011, and it runs almost everything without a hitch. The exception is Flight Simulator X, but that game wasn't really optimized well. It runs newer games with excellent frame rates, but it starts to run a bit hot (I can hear the fan running). I thought about swapping it out for a better video card, but it's held up so well against the newer games that the idea of upgrading is on the back burner for now.

What got me started on the gaming pc's was I had a 3 year old hp, still fairly new, but the motherboard could not be upgraded. I could not play any DX11 stuff unless I changed the motherboard. I figured why tear up the computer if it still works, it does great video editing still. So it became a backup computer hooked up to a big screen TV. The newer one I use now I run dual monitors on. It helps on some games where you benefit off dual monitors. The only problem I've had with it was some of the usb connectors, it has like 4-6, some 2.0 and some 3.0, won't recognize my devices. I bought a usb hub and have had no further problems. So I would at least recommend someone with this computer should buy some usb hubs, because I don't know if I screwed it up plugging and unplugging or what. but I'd rather have the usb hub fail than the usb connection ports.

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but garmon didn't see IT He was too busy giving oplasma (Rolls eyes)

You better watch it or you won't have the strength to do your real job.

I bet you also prefer being at the beginning of the food chain instead of among the Compost Peddlers (there was a more recent TV story, but I couldn't find a reference to it)

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2016 at 11:54 AM, BusHunter said:

The GTX 1070 that was just launched surpasses the Titan X in performance and it only costs $380-$450. The only difference is that it has less RAM. 8GB I believe. Unless you're doing Bitcoin mining or any other heavy computing tasks, 12GB is overkill, especially for gaming.

On 4/5/2016 at 8:44 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

AMD just released their newest card, the RX 480 for $200. The standard card is $200 for 4GB of memory and the 8GB version is $40 more. They say it can handle 4K gaming and 3D via Oculus Rift. Personally, AMD isn't my cup of tea, but if you're looking to upgrade and don't want to spent a lot of cash to have the latest tech, get this card. If you can scratch up $50 more dollars, get the GTX 1060, which is slightly behind the performance of the Titan X. The only bad thing about the GTX 1060 is that you can't use them in an SLI setup as it does not have the connectors necessary.

On 4/5/2016 at 11:20 PM, BusHunter said:

What got me started on the gaming pc's was I had a 3 year old hp, still fairly new, but the motherboard could not be upgraded. I could not play any DX11 stuff unless I changed the motherboard. I figured why tear up the computer if it still works, it does great video editing still. So it became a backup computer hooked up to a big screen TV. The newer one I use now I run dual monitors on. It helps on some games where you benefit off dual monitors. The only problem I've had with it was some of the usb connectors, it has like 4-6, some 2.0 and some 3.0, won't recognize my devices. I bought a usb hub and have had no further problems. So I would at least recommend someone with this computer should buy some usb hubs, because I don't know if I screwed it up plugging and unplugging or what. but I'd rather have the usb hub fail than the usb connection ports.

I'm planning on building a new PC. I am torn between buying the new Intel Skylake processors or waiting for Kaby Lake or even Skylake-E. My video card will either be a GTX1080 or 1080Ti when it comes out. For now, my Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina will have to do. The only thing that bugs me about my Mac is the graphics card is pretty weak. GT 750 w/2GB RAM.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:00 AM, garmon757 said:

Just wanted to spread the good news.

image.png

Here's hoping you pass all remaining five or more selection tests(it does say "Include, but are not limited to...."). And if you do become a Probationary Police Officer for the CPD, remember these two simple words.......

STAY SAFE!!! I tell this to all Police Officers I see and interact with. Be a smart Police Officer, and don't rush in headstrong to a situation. Think it through and listen to your fellow Officers.... they will help you get your task done and continue to remain on the beat.

Best of luck, @garmon757!!! :) 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sw4400 said:

Here's hoping you pass all remaining five or more selection tests(it does say "Include, but are not limited to...."). And if you do become a Probationary Police Officer for the CPD, remember these two simple words.......

STAY SAFE!!! I tell this to all Police Officers I see and interact with. Be a smart Police Officer, and don't rush in headstrong to a situation. Think it through and listen to your fellow Officers.... they will help you get your task done and continue to remain on the beat.

Best of luck, @garmon757!!! :) 

Thank you! I just hope I don't have to turn to a robocop though! xD

• Upvote 1

Wow sounds like you might actually have the job. Most of the prelims you can probably pass, I would only be concerned with the P.O.W.E.R. test. Most cops i know of are actually fitness geeks. They have portable gyms in their houses. I don't know how physically fit they expect you to be.

As far as the job itself, from what I've seen, (my cousin is CPD) it can really change your life financially. The guy has a beautiful house about 3 times the value of mine. (we are talking something a doctor or lawyer would live in) So in that respect I'm happy for you and your family.

I know sort of why you applied for the position, you want to effect change. That's fine but the job is challenging especially in our current times. It will be an uphill climb. It seems like everyone tries to find ways to discredit the police, like my cousin never talks about his job. I wouldn't want him to. I hope you stay safe and don't let the negativity of society bring you down. Good Luck!!

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I know sort of why you applied for the position, you want to effect change. That's fine but the job is challenging especially in our current times.

Two things come to mind, which I hope they teach in police academy in light of recent developments:

• How to investigate. I find it hard to believe all the "motive for the shooting was unknown and the police do not have anyone in custody,"
  • Shooting and use of deadly force is allowed only if the officer has an objective reason to believe that his or her life is in danger. In the Paul O'Neal case, while there is some debate whether an officer may use deadly force if the suspect is using the car as a deadly weapon (law generally says o.k., but apparently CPD policy is no), it definitely was not proper once the suspect left the car and ran away.

I presume that from your background, you are more sensitive to these issues than most police recruits. Maybe someday you will be Eddie Johnson.

• Upvote 1