O'Hare Direct

Tcmetro

I do agree consultants get paid way too much for doing same work although some of it is a necessary evil to meet requirements for funding. Many plans must be updated for same purpose to meet the fed requirements for funding of cmaq mpo fta fhwa .

May be, but it shouldn't take 14 years, and in the Ashland BRT case, coming up with a plan that even Emanuel said isn't it. But FTA keeps announcing those planning grants, but no construction money.

And then, to get back to this topic, there is still the issue of the city trying to get Metra or Amtrak to do something without the city money to support it, as I indicated with respect to the 2006 study, the Feds are not going to pay for an elitist system, and I doubt that anyone is going to pay for a system for 4 trains an hour carrying about 12 passengers (the original Airport Express plan).

The latter also reflects a problem that apparently Governor promise anything can't figure out with respect to the Illiana Expressway--there has to be a business plan to cover operating and debt service. The RTA recognizes that to the extent that the Pace budget says that they have to report on how capital projects affect future operating cost needs.

We can leave it to Bruisie. Boy to privatize privatize and privatize it will be money from heaven

This is incomprehensible. Maybe if you go to Stickney or Morton Grove and play video poker, the money goes into the Build Illinois fund and some governor can go to the ribbon cutting. Likewise if you buy a lot of hard liquor (PA 96-34; Wirtz case).

CN wants to abandon the Air Line & sell it off for development in the South Loop. They must think they can get condos built on it.

The question is how would Amtrak get trains from the Champaign, etc. (former IC) service to Union Station?

I found my answer by looking through the CREATE sites (in connection with the Englewood Flyover topic). The Grand Crossing Project would have a flyover from the CN/IC at around 76th to the NS tracks, and then new track work near the NS, bypassing the Englewood Flyover.

If the St. Charles Air Line is gone as a result of this, that would put a kink into the airport plan.

Heres how I see it going the airline going into 'public' hands with CNZ. Getting a nice check for it. For this CN. agrees to having improvements made to their ohare line in exchange for increased trains from ohare to Franklin park. Yes funding needs to be worked out but that can be said for any project

Heres how I see it going the airline going into 'public' hands with CNZ. Getting a nice check for it. For this CN. agrees to having improvements made to their ohare line in exchange for increased trains from ohare to Franklin park. Yes funding needs to be worked out but that can be said for any project

Such as indicated with regard to the railroad strip next to Wrigley Field, CN may only have a railway easement, not the underlying land, which may belong to the adjoining landowners.

In any event, it isn't going to bring that much money.

Another thought--when the IC threatened to raise fares 150% in the early 70s, I said in a letter to the Interstate Commerce Commission: "the IC got public domain lands free from the government to provide service. Maybe they should put some of the money received for selling air rights for Illinois Center into the commuter railroad." Do you think they did? Of course not.