Halsted goes all-night long.

MetroShadow

Route 352, on 11/24/14, will go 24-hours between Harvey and 95th Street.

Other changes include schedule optimization and more trips to reduce overcrowding. No routing changes.

The passenger notice is online.

http://www.pacebus.com/sub/schedules/route_notice_detail.asp?Notice_ID=4561

• I don't get how moving up the 6:55 trip to 6:50 helps the 6:45 bus, unless it is assumed that both are sitting in the transit center together.
  • It looks like it takes 2 buses to run owl.
  • I'm not sure what's there to justify 30 minute owl service. Service now is starting at Harvey at 4 a.m. and last arrival at 1 a.m. Usually night shift workers get to work or leave by midnight.

Other changes include schedule optimization and more trips to reduce overcrowding. No routing changes.

Great move by Pace. Consider that Michigan Ave was the ONLY street south of 95th to get OWL service (and 60 minute service at that), it is certainly a gap filler.. Also consider there is no east-west owl service south of 95th street either.

So Pace Is Adding Its Own Overnight Owl Service Huh? Question Is Will Route 352 Be The Only 24-Hour Pace Bus Route, Or Add More Owl Service To Other Bus Routes In the Future, & Which Ones?

So Pace Is Adding Its Own Overnight Owl Service Huh? Question Is Will Route 352 Be The Only 24-Hour Pace Bus Route, Or Add More Owl Service To Other Bus Routes In the Future, & Which Ones?

If You Want to Get Technical Or Up at 2:00 a.m., 422 Has a Night Run.

Great move by Pace. Consider that Michigan Ave was the ONLY street south of 95th to get OWL service (and 60 minute service at that), it is certainly a gap filler.. Also consider there is no east-west owl service south of 95th street either.

Yes but South Halsted has only been missing owl service for 17 years. Besides #34 South Michigan there use to be #N108 Halsted/95th before Booz-Allen cuts and #N112 Vincenns between 111th and 95th/Dan Ryan only.Also Michigan never had 60 minute owl service. It was always 30 minutes

north of 119th and 60 minutes on the branches (Altgeld and 119/Morgan).

After the 1997 cuts owl service was cut from the 119th branch and only exists on #34 today. Also the #103 use to be owl between Vincenns/Beverly Garage and 95th/Dan Ryan.

So, when PACE has the penny rides on New Years, there's an actual route that qualifies ??!

Some qualified for an hour or so, but the question is whether the strip clubs about which the Tribune complained are open for their patrons to take advantage of it?

Owl service on 352...is that a first for Pace or any Pace predecessor's? That will help people to avoid those livery cabs...those can be costly.

Once upon a time the route now known as the 353 had 24 hr service. That was when the route was operated by South Suburban Safeway and the route terminated at Altgeld Gardens. After Pace took over. the CTA and Pace swapped south terminals making the 353 south terminal 138th and Indiana and the 34 S Michigan south terminal became Altgeld Gardens. It should also be noted that Pace actually ended 24 hr service before the swap. and the 34 served Altgeld when the 353 was not in service/. Until this recent announcement, that was the only 24 hour route in Chicago suburban history.

Yes but South Halsted has only been missing owl service for 17 years. Besides #34 South Michigan there use to be #N108 Halsted/95th before Booz-Allen cuts and #N112 Vincenns between 111th and 95th/Dan Ryan only.Also Michigan never had 60 minute owl service. It was always 30 minutes

north of 119th and 60 minutes on the branches (Altgeld and 119/Morgan).

After the 1997 cuts owl service was cut from the 119th branch and only exists on #34 today. Also the #103 use to be owl between Vincenns/Beverly Garage and 95th/Dan Ryan.

That is all true but I was referring to current service.

Once upon a time the route now known as the 353 had 24 hr service. That was when the route was operated by South Suburban Safeway and the route terminated at Altgeld Gardens. After Pace took over. the CTA and Pace swapped south terminals making the 353 south terminal 138th and Indiana and the 34 S Michigan south terminal became Altgeld Gardens. It should also be noted that Pace actually ended 24 hr service before the swap. and the 34 served Altgeld when the 353 was not in service/. Until this recent announcement, that was the only 24 hour route in Chicago suburban history.

I forgot all about 353. I wish it still ran on Michigan Ave south of 111th it was way faster than the local 34/119. Plus it gave Riverdale access to the Roseland business district and hospital.

I forgot all about 353. I wish it still ran on Michigan Ave south of 111th it was way faster than the local 34/119. Plus it gave Riverdale access to the Roseland business district and hospital.

That was the tradeoff as part of the Crowd Reduction plan, and the only one that seemed to make sense to me, i.e. it got Pace out of the local service obligation within Chicago, and relieved 2 buses for use on the beefed up 349.

Is there a Roseland business district? Busy enough to justify not having to transfer?

• I don't get how moving up the 6:55 trip to 6:50 helps the 6:45 bus, unless it is assumed that both are sitting in the transit center together.
  • It looks like it takes 2 buses to run owl.
  • I'm not sure what's there to justify 30 minute owl service. Service now is starting at Harvey at 4 a.m. and last arrival at 1 a.m. Usually night shift workers get to work or leave by midnight.

Something has to be driving ridership for Pace to take this bold step in a time when late night/overnight service in the Chicago/NE Illinois region as a whole is under continual attacks for cuts. And not all night workers leave or arrive to their jobs by midnight. A lot of places now have work shifts starting at 1AM, 2AM and even 3AM, and some of the workers covering those shifts live a long enough distance away from their employers that a 4AM-midnight or 4AM-1AM route/service may not always be enough. Plus it could just be the buses leaving Harvey at 4AM and arriving at 1AM are just that crowded on the trips between there and 95th/Dan Ryan even at those times without there being an obvious traffic generator for Pace to say the easiest solution is to run buses between 95th and Harvey 24 hours a day.

Something has to be driving ridership for Pace to take this bold step in a time when late night/overnight service in the Chicago/NE Illinois region as a whole is under continual attacks for cuts. And not all night workers leave or arrive to their jobs by midnight. A lot of places now have work shifts starting at 1AM, 2AM and even 3AM, and some of the workers covering those shifts live a long enough distance away from their employers that a 4AM-midnight or 4AM-1AM route/service may not always be enough. Plus it could just be the buses leaving Harvey at 4AM and arriving at 1AM are just that crowded on the trips between there and 95th/Dan Ryan even at those times without there being an obvious traffic generator for Pace to say the easiest solution is to run buses between 95th and Harvey 24 hours a day.

I can buy the "people coming from work on the north side of Chicago" angle. I wonder what customer research Pace has done, though.

I also guess that if ridership doesn't materialize, they'll post a hearing for termination.

Probably a politician without a clue about operations, ridership, budgets, etc. wants it.

Could be, but someone would have to come up with the money for it.

But thinking about it, there is always the South Suburban Cook Job Access Fund, for which Pace has not found a use since the demise of 889, except for the repeated "Pace currently expends in excess of $34.0 million for services in South Cook County," so maybe the politicians have already provided the funds.