Annual CTA Holiday Train

sw4400

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

That Holiday  train did the Brownange thing yesterday as I saw it yesterday evening in the  Loop heading outbound towards Midway.

As well as today. On Tuesday it moves to the Pink Line. I’m gonna try and ride it there on the 5th. Last time I my dad and I rode it was on the Pink Line in 2013, and I swear we had the front car to ourselves.

I also bought tickets to ride it as part of the IRM Snowflake Special this year.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
38 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

anybody know when the holiday train starts because in the Facebook group “Chicago L” we have an eager person WANTING it to be this Saturday so bad???

This year’s schedule hasn’t been posted yet, but historically it has started on the Friday after Thanksgiving, on the Green and Orange lines.

2 hours ago, Juniorz said:

Schedule should be posted sometime midweek, usually conceding with the Magnificent Mile Light Festival along the Red Line.

But because the Holiday Season is short for 2019, could begin service on Black Friday, on the Orange-Green Lines.

it never starts on red unless it does some charity trip first every year the first trip is green and then green/orange x2 and then brownage

32 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

it never starts on red unless it does some charity trip first every year the first trip is green and then green/orange x2 and then brownage

Began on the Red Line last year for the Magnificent Mile Lights Festival, then began it's regular seasonal run on Black Friday.

Earlier in the decade, the season usually began as early as the 2nd week in November, so the start dates varies by season.

9 hours ago, Pace831 said:

The Holiday Train and Bus schedules have been posted. Allstate is sponsoring them again this year. The train begins service on Friday, and the bus debuts tomorrow.

I rode the Holiday Train Saturday the 23rd.  It was a really nice trip.  The train ran as a surprise trip for the parade of lights Saturday.

20191123_171157.jpg

On 11/29/2019 at 2:21 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I am going to ride the Holiday Train tomorrow! The wrap this year looks splendid. I hope I can ride the Elves train too! I think I will ride car 2896 on the train.

I didn't ride the Elves train but I rode 2895 and that thing was packed, I wish I took the Elves train because that one was like a normal GL train capacity. I wonder why everyone goes for the holiday but a few aim the Elves.

47 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I didn't ride the Elves train but I rode 2895 and that thing was packed, I wish I took the Elves train because that one was like a normal GL train capacity. I wonder why everyone goes for the holiday but a few aim the Elves.

Most people wouldn’t have a strong preference, so would opt for the one that comes first. Remember that the Elves Train was specifically added to handle the riders who wouldn’t all fit on the first train. There’s also the possibility that some of them didn’t know about the Elves Train, particularly if they skipped directly to the schedule on the CTA web page. Were there any on board announcements saying “another train is following”?

1 minute ago, Pace831 said:

Most people wouldn’t have a strong preference, so would opt for the one that comes first. Remember that the Elves Train was specifically added to handle the riders who wouldn’t all fit on the first train. There’s also the possibility that some of them didn’t know about the Elves Train, particularly if they skipped directly to the schedule on the CTA web page. Were there any on board announcements saying “another train is following”?

There was, but the people that were with me were in no mood to switch to the emptier train, I might have to do it next year because I usually do Green Line and Tuesday would work if it was 30 minutes earlier.

That’s why I’m happy the IRM chartered the Holiday Train after last years run. They only sold a set number of tickets and you could buy tickets for the afternoon run or the night run, or a double ticket for both. During the entire trip I was able to sit in a seat, but I stood a lot at the front for the views.

Before that I rode it that season on the Pink Line, which I started doing because it takes less time than a full Brownage run and the train is generally less crowded. That year the train was completely full with standing room only. It’s a good thing I got on at 54th because I wouldn’t have been able to sit down otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm didnt know they have an elves train. I wonder what are the fleet numbers? Its 6 cars? Couldnt help but notice the red floors. I wonder do those trains stay out of service all year now. Did they have pulsating marker lights before. The electric guys must be having a blast hooking all this up. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Hmm didnt know they have an elves train. I wonder what are the fleet numbers? Its 6 cars? Couldnt help but notice the red floors. I wonder do those trains stay out of service all year now. Did they have pulsating marker lights before. The electric guys must be having a blast hooking all this up. 

You didn't know??  It's been like that since 2016!  The Holiday Train has become so popular, they run a 2nd train on Saturdays following the main train.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

they unwrap it leave the inside how it is (unless they wanna decorate a little more) and they stuff it on the side of skokie shops the elves workshop train from what i heard the cars are going to be unwrapped and put back to regular and go back to blue and orange