Annual CTA Holiday Train

sw4400

On 12/25/2019 at 8:58 AM, chicagocubs6323 said:

You didn't know??  It's been like that since 2016!  The Holiday Train has become so popular, they run a 2nd train on Saturdays following the main train.

Come to think of it I think I did ride it in 2016. Alot has changed even the seat frames are colored now. I need to get back on the system I haven't been on it now in close to 6 months.

I remember for a few years they had modified the air system so the cars smelled like cinnamon, but now they don’t. But my favorite thing they did was put something in the wheel assemblies so when the train set was moving it sounded like what you would think the wind blowing at the North Pole would sound like. You can hear it in this video I took when it leaves Clark/Lake. It’s too bad they removed that, along with the dancing bells next to the doors before the train switched to LEDs. I liked those for some reason.

2 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

On this year’s train? For last year’s train I don’t remember it smelling like cinnamon, either on the charter or its run on the Pink Line.

Eventually the cinnamon fades throughout the month but it did also smell like cinnamon last year.  This year I still smelled it at the end of the month, even though it was less.  If you couldn't tell by my video, I rode it on almost every line this year so I probably got too used to the smell (noseblind) ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Eventually the cinnamon fades throughout the month but it did also smell like cinnamon last year.  This year I still smelled it at the end of the month, even though it was less.  If you couldn't tell by my video, I rode it on almost every line this year so I probably got too used to the smell (noseblind) ?

Oh that makes sense then. When I remember the trips on the train when I could smell it, I was riding it on the Brownage runs, earlier in the train’s operating window. When I started riding it on the Pink Line is when I couldn’t smell it, but that was later on in the train’s run.

Still think they should bring back the polar wind wheels though.

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Still think they should bring back the polar wind wheels though.

I'm not sure if that was even a thing.  They were Skokie cars that ran on the Yellow Line so maybe the trucks were beat up at that time.  Right now those cars are well maintained and run very smoothly and quiet.  I'll ask around and try to find out about that for you lol

11 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I'm not sure if that was even a thing.  They were Skokie cars that ran on the Yellow Line so maybe the trucks were beat up at that time.  Right now those cars are well maintained and run very smoothly and quiet.  I'll ask around and try to find out about that for you lol

It was, I have it on camera above.

10 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

It was, I have it on camera above.

I'll try to listen back to it with headphones on.  

EDIT: I listened to it once more, it sounds more like motors rather than wind in my opinion.  But to be honest whenever I'm on the Pink Line, the wind does make a certain sound with the 5000s.  I'll try to get a recording of specifically that.  In my Holiday Train video, there is a Green Line train Departing Washington/Wabash making that noise you're talking about.  

See 6:45 in the video.  Listen closely to how it sounds at the very beginning.  This sounds like wind.  

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

See 6:45 in the video.  Listen closely to how it sounds at the very beginning.  This sounds like wind.  

That’s actually similar to what I’m referring to, but I still believe it has to do with a wheel assembly component other than the motors themselves. On the DC cars, the motors do produce a sound when the train is in motion, but it’s very faint (unless you were riding on the 2200s!), and it certainly doesn’t sound like the “polar wind” I heard. And I didn’t mention your remarks on how they were Skokie cars and their ride quality because I was typing in a rush, but when they made the “polar wind” noise I would argue that they were the cars with the best ride quality on the entire L system. No vibrations or flat spots at all.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Just saying there's a chance that the holiday train will be cancelled this year unless they run the elves train every time the holiday train runs instead of Saturday's or restrict the number of riders on the train. I still say its smarter to cancel the train this year. (Including the holiday bus)

If a bid for sponsorship has already been placed (which would've occurred during the 2Q of the year) then a Holiday Train will exist probably (hypothetical) as a non-passenger train due to the current Pandemic.

Any announcement about this year's set would be announced during the 2nd week of November, so #staytuned

2 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Hopefully I can take my daughter to see he holiday train dont bother me if its in service or not just let her see it lit up 

i’ve heard rumors left and right that it will run this year but the official word will be announced by CTA 2nd week of november 

and also if it does run this year they might have the elve train right behind it every day to control social distancing

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

i’ve heard rumors left and right that it will run this year but the official word will be announced by CTA 2nd week of november 

and also if it does run this year they might have the elve train right behind it every day to control social distancing

Yea just gotta wait on the official word but either way I'm gone catch it so my mini bay can see it 

The CTA holiday train could return to its roots: an out-of-service (no passengers) train delivering food to local communities, as it began in 1992. That could be the best way to do it if carrying passengers (with large crowds) is a major concern.

Many Polar Express/Santa rides have been canceled as well by commuter railroads and museum shortlines and the NY Transit Museum (NYTM) has no events until summer 2021 at earliest.

There still would be the question of people on the platform for pics... no social distancing.... maybe/maybe not wearing masks. I would think it'll be cancelled for safety measures. The positivity rate is at 5.4% in Illinois and we're only in October. Danger point is at 5%. :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With Thanksgiving approaching soon, I think it's safe to say that Covid-19 has claimed two holiday traditions in Chicago now(and for the good of the people of Chicago due to crowds and the dangers), but it still hurts to say the Holiday Train and Bus will probably not be here for 2020*.

*There's still a chance, but very slim.... like less than 5% slim..... ?

8116740_112020-wls-cta-holiday-train-img.jpg

30923500272_64b8c89af5_o.jpg

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

With Thanksgiving approaching soon, I think it's safe to say that Covid-19 has claimed two holiday traditions in Chicago now(and for the good of the people of Chicago due to crowds and the dangers), but it still hurts to say the Holiday Train and Bus will probably not be here for 2020*.

*There's still a chance, but very slim.... like less than 5% slim..... ?

8116740_112020-wls-cta-holiday-train-img.jpg

30923500272_64b8c89af5_o.jpg

Just heard on the news they are coming back in 2020 but with no riders.