sw4400

Random CTA

2625 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ThirdRailVision said:

Here is one article I stumbled upon regarding the 02/14 Red Line I.D. check:

http://patch.com/illinois/chicago/federal-checkpoint-red-line-addison-reports 

I misconstrued your link has having to do with what happened a couple of years ago with the Homeland Security checkpoints, but just found something similar in the Sun-Times.

However,this is still not different than what happened a couple of years ago, in that there were marked checkpoints to inspect bags, not a request for IDs on racial grounds. The S-T article also has an embedded CTA Tweet that the rumors are false.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2016 at 8:50 PM, Busjack said:

Reported in various places: Bed bugs found on Red Line train.

Wouldn't they be black and blue seat bugs? And then would the bugs be that color, or the seats?

Another infestation is getting publicized in numerous places, based on the guy who took video of a woman with a garbage bag full of bedbugs. WGN report, although the one on the noon news interviewed someone who said this shows CTA should use the plastic seats, which are more sanitary.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New show Superior Donuts is set in Uptown, and looks it, including the mandatory segue shot of a CTA bus.

We find out that Peg Bundy (after Al left her to marry Sofia Vergara) is now a Chicago police officer.

However, as usual when CTA gets portrayed, there was something off. Besides the landlord seeming more south side, he was wrong in saying what he was doing (turning off the heat for tenants having leases) was legal. Someone should have called 311. Apparently Maya did, but for the wrong reason, i.e. to get him an affordable housing grant.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Youth gets physical with CTA Bus Operator. CTA Bus Operator get physical with youth. Was he right in doing this? IMO, yes..... you are not anybody's punching bag, and should not be able to just take it but do nothing about it. Thoughts???

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another day on the CTA, I guess.... lady who's either angry her bus is late, or someone just wanting to spark anger and irritation.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Another day on the CTA, I guess.... lady who's either angry her bus is late, or someone just wanting to spark anger and irritation.

I couldn't figure out from the description if the driver was mulatto or Native American.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Busjack said:

I couldn't figure out from the description if the driver was mulatto or Native American.

The description uses an unflattering and derogatory term towards women, which which is synonymous with a word I will not repeat, that comes from rap and hip hop culture. I can definitely assure you though that it's not a reference to either woman's ethnicity or race, but you do get an idea of the maturity level of the person who recorded the clip from the use of the term in the description. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a lighter note, Channel 5's website gave a story on CTA releasing some vintage photos on Instagram commemorating its 70th anniversary. It says that CTA has a number of events planned throughout the year, including giveaways, contests and a celebration on June 6 with anniversary L rides in commemoration of this year also being the 125th anniversary of the L in Chicago, June 6th being the anniversary date of the first L service started in 1892. More info is given on CTA's website at www.transitchicago.com/cta70.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jajuan said:

The description uses an unflattering and derogatory term towards women, which which is synonymous with a word I will not repeat, that comes from rap and hip hop culture. I can definitely assure you though that it's not a reference to either woman's ethnicity or race, but you do get an idea of the maturity level of the person who recorded the clip from the use of the term in the description. 

To educate,   if you wil, the  word Thot isan acronym  for :That Hoe  (whore) Over There. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jajuan said:

The description

I was only referring to that used by the speaker in the embedded video (if you were referring to the YouTube page, as I did not click through).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jajuan said:

On a lighter note, Channel 5's website gave a story on CTA releasing some vintage photos on Instagram commemorating its 70th anniversary. It says that CTA has a number of events planned throughout the year, including giveaways, contests and a celebration on June 6 with anniversary L rides in commemoration of this year also being the 125th anniversary of the L in Chicago, June 6th being the anniversary date of the first L service started in 1892. More info is given on CTA's website at www.transitchicago.com/cta70.

First photo: "The block of buildings in the background is where the Helmut Jahn-designed Thompson Center (State of Illinois Center), which has direct connections to the Inner Loop platform and subway stations at Clark/Lake, today!" Aside from missing a part of speech, it won't be tomorrow!

43rd: Not sure when the "today" in the caption was, and they must have had a lot of fires on the stretch, as 35th also suffered one.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Story on WGN News that someone threw a rock through the 33rd Ward office window and stole a tablet. "No vital information, just the CTA Bus Tracker display." The rock is in police custody.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, strictures said:

Genius of the week used a couple of CTA buses, including the Halsted bus as his getaway from a Loop bank robbery.

Of course he got caught!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-bank-robber-cta-bus-getaway-20170320-story.html#nt=oft13a-1gp1

Yeah and I bet he used his ventra with his name on it too!! xD All anyone has to do is just go to his house and arrest him.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah and I bet he used his ventra with his name on it too!! xD All anyone has to do is just go to his house and arrest him.

Not as dumb as the guy in the GEICO commercial who used a ride share app and waited for the driver.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, strictures said:

Genius of the week used a couple of CTA buses, including the Halsted bus as his getaway from a Loop bank robbery.

Of course he got caught!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-bank-robber-cta-bus-getaway-20170320-story.html#nt=oft13a-1gp1

 

17 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah and I bet he used his ventra with his name on it too!! xD All anyone has to do is just go to his house and arrest him.

But note the news brief mentions that the money had an electronic tag hidden within it and is what was used by the FBI to get him. So Ventra would not have been needed (though it's possible he paid cash and Ventra would be useless in that case as a tracking method), and more importantly they would have found him even if he hadn't used a CTA bus as his escape vehicle. So Jack is right that his mode of escape isn't as dumb as it appears to be on the surface.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jajuan said:

more importantly they would have found him even if he hadn't used a CTA bus as his escape vehicle. So Jack is right that his mode of escape isn't as dumb as it appears to be on the surface.

However, I'm sure being on CTA helped, as in the case of the person who murdered someone in Indian Head Park, but was tracked getting on and off the Orange Line (but via stolen cellphone). Being on CTA now instantly puts one under camera surveillance, and I'm convinced the pictures they put on TV are not as high def as what the police have.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Busjack said:

However, I'm sure being on CTA helped, as in the case of the person who murdered someone in Indian Head Park, but was tracked getting on and off the Orange Line (but via stolen cellphone). Being on CTA now instantly puts one under camera surveillance, and I'm convinced the pictures they put on TV are not as high def as what the police have.

True it was a help as far as being on the bus. I wonder though if he may have gotten closer to wherever it was he was going had he hopped a train instead, say Green Line to Halsted and then the bus. Given they say they busted him an hour later on the bus, that's consistent with having made his way to Halsted and using the Halsted bus for most of his escape. He would have reached the area they caught him in maybe half that time. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I'm glad they caught this thief with this ill-gotten goods, I think with the tracking device, they could've waited a bit to get him.... like when he was off the bus, not on it. I'm sure the Police and FBI came on board, guns drawn to apprehend the suspect. But with other civilians on the bus, that was not a good tactic on their part. The suspect could've pulled a weapon and had a firefight with law enforcement with innocent civilians, including the Bus Operator, in the line of fire. Or, they could've grabbed another passenger and had a hostage situation.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

While I'm glad they caught this thief with this ill-gotten goods, I think with the tracking device, they could've waited a bit to get him.... like when he was off the bus, not on it. I'm sure the Police and FBI came on board, guns drawn to apprehend the suspect. But with other civilians on the bus, that was not a good tactic on their part. The suspect could've pulled a weapon and had a firefight with law enforcement with innocent civilians, including the Bus Operator, in the line of fire. Or, they could've grabbed another passenger and had a hostage situation.

You're overreacting here a bit to the situation. A lot of what you posed mainly happens in movies and on TV. Real life law enforcement officers rules and policies governing code of conduct that specifically are aimed toward minimizing the chances of any of the concerns in your post of even happening. At a time when there is concern out there among some of the public about law enforcement being too gung ho to pull or use their weapons instead of deflating or deescalating a situation before tensions get too high, especially when it comes to local police of a number big city jurisdictions including this one, do you really think the police and FBI would have been able to swoop down on that bus with guns already drawn before even spotting the suspect in the manner you described and the local media didn't report that?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2017 at 2:33 PM, jajuan said:

Real life law enforcement officers rules and policies governing code of conduct that specifically are aimed toward minimizing the chances of any of the concerns in your post of even happening. This is a time when there is concern out there among some of the public about law enforcement being too gung ho to pull or use their weapons instead of deflating or deescalating a situation before tensions get too high, especially when it comes to local police of a number big city jurisdictions including this one...

Fixed your response so it's more informative than anything else. He had a simple scenario, he wasn't overreacting. -_-

On 3/21/2017 at 0:46 PM, sw4400 said:

While I'm glad they caught this thief with this ill-gotten goods, I think with the tracking device, they could've waited a bit to get him.... like when he was off the bus, not on it. I'm sure the Police and FBI came on board, guns drawn to apprehend the suspect. But with other civilians on the bus, that was not a good tactic on their part. The suspect could've pulled a weapon and had a firefight with law enforcement with innocent civilians, including the Bus Operator, in the line of fire. Or, they could've grabbed another passenger and had a hostage situation.

We don't know if the police and FBI did that, but they apprehended the suspect with no injuries, so that's good. When I checked last, the article linked did not state if they had weapons used in the robbery. Remember, there are procedures that jajuan said quoted above that agencies use during these situations. They probably had a simple plan worked out to avoid any problems while apprehending the suspect as quickly as possible.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of a situation I encountered in Norridge  right at the harlem forest preserve dr bus stop sb. Cops had stopped someone and pulled their guns having it pointed at an offenders car with him inside. I was like hello this is a bus stop with people standing here. I went to another stop cause that was crazy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Reminds me of a situation I encountered in Norridge  right at the harlem forest preserve dr bus stop sb. Cops had stopped someone and pulled their guns having it pointed at an offenders car with him inside. I was like hello this is a bus stop with people standing here. I went to another stop cause that was crazy.

There was the incident at the Lake Cook Metra a couple of months ago, where the police boarded the car because the suspect did not get off there as expected. Most of the reports indicate that he shot himself, although CTA would have categorized it as a medical emergency.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2017 at 4:59 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Fixed your response so it's more informative than anything else. He had a simple scenario, he wasn't overreacting. -_-

We don't know if the police and FBI did that, but they apprehended the suspect with no injuries, so that's good. When I checked last, the article linked did not state if they had weapons used in the robbery. Remember, there are procedures that jajuan said quoted above that agencies use during these situations. They probably had a simple plan worked out to avoid any problems while apprehending the suspect as quickly as possible.

I thank u for the "fix" but I wrote it just as I intended. From my side of it, it was a bit of an overreaction colored from a TV or movie scenario than real life. With the way the media is all over Trump over questions of possible misdeeds, I doubt they would overlook FBI and police going overboard while catching this bank robber. So how about we leave at u simply disagree without changing or fixing my words.;)9_9

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2017 at 4:59 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Fixed your response so it's more informative than anything else. He had a simple scenario, he wasn't overreacting. -_-

We don't know if the police and FBI did that, but they apprehended the suspect with no injuries, so that's good. When I checked last, the article linked did not state if they had weapons used in the robbery. Remember, there are procedures that jajuan said quoted above that agencies use during these situations. They probably had a simple plan worked out to avoid any problems while apprehending the suspect as quickly as possible.

 

5 hours ago, jajuan said:

I thank u for the "fix" but I wrote it just as I intended. From my side of it, it was a bit of an overreaction colored from a TV or movie scenario than real life. With the way the media is all over Trump over questions of possible misdeeds, I doubt they would overlook FBI and police going overboard while catching this bank robber. So how about we leave at u simply disagree without changing or fixing my words.;)9_9

I just wanted to clarify my point on this post, so we can keep on topic:

Many times when there are bank robberies, the suspects typically flash a gun or at the very least hand the teller a note or say they have a gun, which is how they get what they what. If they don't brandish a weapon or at least give a note or inform the teller they have a gun, the teller may simply tell them to leave and walk away. When Law Enforcement find the suspect, they have to obviously apprehend the suspect, but because of the fact they may possibly be armed, they have to approach with firearms at the ready as they have to protect themselves and civilians from the suspect. If the suspect sees Law Enforcement approaching, they may very well pull the weapon to prevent arrest, if they do indeed have a weapon. That's why, with a tracking device, they could've waited a bit longer to apprehend the suspect.

My discussion on the forum is done for this. If you wish to reply to me more to this, that's fine, but please use the PM system for further discussion. I was just giving my opinion on how the situation was handled in @strictures post above. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now