sw4400

Random CTA

2697 posts in this topic

Talking about a yellow or white line on cta buses. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Talking about a yellow or white line on cta buses. 

As @jajuan says, take a look. It is inconceivable that the manufacturers (New Flyer and Nova Bus) would violate a regulation that is clearly binding on them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Busjack said:

As @jajuan says, take a look. It is inconceivable that the manufacturers (New Flyer and Nova Bus) would violate a regulation that is clearly binding on them.

Photographic evidence that they haven't when building for CTA, two shots of the yellow line inside CTA NF 1913:IMG_20170428_233312952.thumb.jpg.3489a906a91213766c66ad58a2bee8ee.jpgIMG_20170428_233308189.thumb.jpg.b661e070a1767fa3dd2ce272e34a35cd.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Photographic evidence that they haven't when building for CTA, two shots of the yellow line inside CTA NF 1913

Also, from the way it looks, standees over the line would block the ramp apparatus. Maybe that's why someone thought it was there.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Busjack said:

Also, from the way it looks, standees over the line would block the ramp apparatus. Maybe that's why someone thought it was there.

Yes the way it's set up, they would be. The 4000s and 4300s have the line basically in the same position as the 1000s. No need to take a picture as the 4000s' front end is the same as a 1000 and the 4300s a slight modification of the end caps of both.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random thing today. I saw a daytime Red Line run with only 4 cars in service. Is that normal?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2017 at 1:25 PM, ajm522 said:

Random thing today. I saw a daytime Red Line run with only 4 cars in service. Is that normal?

No not typically. Daytime service is almost always done with 8 cars on the Red Line, even on weekends. 4-car service doesn't usually happen until the very late evening going into the early part of owl service and lasts until early morning when 8-car operations start back up. So your sighting is very rare and quite unusual.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tribune article that Enterprise CarShare was quitting business in Chicago. What made me first click was "what's new about 'theft, vandalism and fraud'," but the article said that this was I-Go, which had an agreement with the CTA. I guess people will now have to ride the bus for the "last mile."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Tribune article that Enterprise CarShare was quitting business in Chicago. What made me first click was "what's new about 'theft, vandalism and fraud'," but the article said that this was I-Go, which had an agreement with the CTA. I guess people will now have to ride the bus for the "last mile."

Or get a Lyft.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Or get a Lyft.

That brings up the point I made in the last 11/31 post, and was also mentioned in the article that Lyft was cheaper than hourly (it also seems like the article had difficulty in distinguishing between the various forms of car or ride sharing.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Observations from O'Hare. 

There's a  glutton of taxis, not only in the termials, but also in the staging  area which is backed up all the way to G Lot on Bessie Coleman.

Uber and Lyft  loading zones are on the upper levelpposed to  taxus, limos, and Airport Express on the lower  level. They are sometimes the cheapest  option when compared  with taxis and Airport Express as long as there's  enough supply at the airport to meet demand.  Other times Uber and Lyft  go to surge pricing which can be compatible  with taxi fares.

CTA  , at least  fo travelers , is a bargain  at $5, especially  considering the  nightmarish  traffic  on the Kennedy  when travel times on the Blue Line  is comparable  or better than  on the expressway. 

Which all makes  Airport Express  less attractive  despite  having flat rates.  The luster  of sharing vehicle  with others and having  to make multiple  stops  is wearing off.  With the shuttle company  in San Antonio filing for bankruptcy  last year, could the airport shuttle  model  become extinct?  

Of note is the observations  that the increase in  traffic  on the expressways and  downtown  is directly  connected to the  ride share services  as well as UberEats and similar  services.

We didn't  even mention  VIA, an upscale  rideshare that only operates  between  Lakeview and downtown  (to Roosevelt).

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Which all makes  Airport Express  less attractive  despite  having flat rates.  The luster  of sharing vehicle  with others and having  to make multiple  stops  is wearing off.

I remember when it was Continental Air Coach, which shows that demand is down when it went from motor coaches to vans. Tri-State Coach seems still around.

Another alternative used by those on corporate expense accounts is the limo companies (like the ones with the fake Blues Brothers), which are not that expensive on a shared basis or if the corporate travel agent has a deal.

BTW, on the limo front, I saw a Windy City Limo that was an Orion I (1990 version). Someone must be keeping them running.

Speaking of Airport Express, about 25 years ago I was taking one with some family who didn't know the location where they were going (the driver had to use the phone in the KwikEMart,now avoided by nav) and I made sure to set off the kids by saying that Hulk Hogan was on TV that night.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I remember when it was Continental Air Coach, which shows that demand is down when it went from motor coaches to vans. Tri-State Coach seems still around.

Another alternative used by those on corporate expense accounts is the limo companies (like the ones with the fake Blues Brothers), which are not that expensive on a shared basis.

BTW, on the limo front, I saw a Windy City Limo that was an Orion I (1990 version). Someone must be keeping them running.

Speaking of Airport Express, about 25 years ago I was taking one with some family who didn't know the location where they were going (the driver had to use the phone in the KwikEMart,now avoided by nav) and I made sure to set off the kids by saying that Hulk Hogan was on TV that night.

Windy City may have an Orion  other two, but they aren't  running the  shuttles  for Cook County  Hospital.  A school  bus  company is  doing  that now.

 

To your limo point, there are a lot of independent  limo drivers that work for Uber,  Lyft,  VIA, Airport Express, in some combination.   I believe  Windy City and American  Coach Limo make their independents sign exclusivity  agreements. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Windy City may have an Orion  other two, but they aren't  running the  shuttles  for Cook County  Hospital.

For some reason, I didn't think Cook County Hospital was near Parkway North in Deerfield. Lake County, for instance.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Busjack said:

For some reason, I didn't think Cook County Hospital was near Parkway North in Deerfield. Lake County, for instance.

You  didn't  mention  whee  you saw it before.  Btw, Windy City is based in Franklin Park,  on Grand West of the SooLine tracks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

You  didn't  mention  whee  you saw it before.

I had not. At the time the only thing I found notable was after wondering what the bus was, seeing that it had the Orion I air conditioner cover.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Busjack said:

For some reason, I didn't think Cook County Hospital was near Parkway North in Deerfield. Lake County, for instance.

I only  mentioned  the County  because that was  the last place I remember  anyone  seeing Orions before you  spotted  one.  That was the Colonial/Alexis bus.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that Orion for Windy City Limo a lot near Union Station near the Transit Center and near Willis Tower near where PM 134, 135 and 136 buses do their first passenger pick ups whenever I see it downtown. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Observations from O'Hare. 

There's a  glutton of taxis, not only in the termials, but also in the staging  area which is backed up all the way to G Lot on Bessie Coleman.

Uber and Lyft  loading zones are on the upper levelpposed to  taxus, limos, and Airport Express on the lower  level. They are sometimes the cheapest  option when compared  with taxis and Airport Express as long as there's  enough supply at the airport to meet demand.  Other times Uber and Lyft  go to surge pricing which can be compatible  with taxi fares.

CTA  , at least  fo travelers , is a bargain  at $5, especially  considering the  nightmarish  traffic  on the Kennedy  when travel times on the Blue Line  is comparable  or better than  on the expressway. 

Which all makes  Airport Express  less attractive  despite  having flat rates.  The luster  of sharing vehicle  with others and having  to make multiple  stops  is wearing off.  With the shuttle company  in San Antonio filing for bankruptcy  last year, could the airport shuttle  model  become extinct?  

Of note is the observations  that the increase in  traffic  on the expressways and  downtown  is directly  connected to the  ride share services  as well as UberEats and similar  services.

We didn't  even mention  VIA, an upscale  rideshare that only operates  between  Lakeview and downtown  (to Roosevelt).

 

Working in the area myself, I do see the sea of taxi's on Bessie Coleman, they stretch for blocks on a friday. I wouldn't be surprised if the city pushed the taxi stand over by the future rental car building. I would be a fan of some kind of London style congestion pricing zone/toll road from Bessie Coleman to O'Hare because there will soon be alot of options to get from there to the airport via people mover or even CTA to get you at least out of the airport. i don't know how anyone else uses Bessie Coleman, it's that bad.

Things are changing, we are moving from a taxi era to a rideshare era, as those companies are mopping up the taxi industry. The taxi drivers are lobbying for a free medallion renewal because they are having difficulty competing with the rideshares. The only way you can beat a rideshare is to have an express lane (kudos to Pace on that) I'm surprised the county doesn't wise up and do like SF and have a pool/rideshare lane as that eliminates congestion as there is only so much construction you can do. Like with the Kennedy constructing a 4th lane from Cumberland to Harlem, you only push the congestion to east of Harlem which doesn't really solve the long term goal of a uncongested road. 

In this new era of technology, I saw something yesterday that I think threatens the rail industry but I'll post it under a new thread, I don't want to hijack the thread, and I feel it's deserving of it's own thread.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sun-Times article that someone was charged with sticking post it notes on girls with indecent propositions. The random CTA point is that one was on a CTA bus, and "Surveillance video from the bus showed Grigoletti sticking the note to the teen’s leg as he walked past her as he got off the bus" the Assistant State's Attorney said,

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now