sw4400

Random CTA

15 hours ago, Nabi60SFW9620 said:

When was the last year that CTA got new buses and are they Novabus LFS or New Flyer? And are they still using the same driver seat as they have on the New Flyer LFs and LFRs?

Novabus LFS (7900-8324) last two delivered September 2016.

{This is also a test of the forum's new software.} Something is afoot at the Authority's Chicago Garage. Over the last (5-8?) weeks, a concerted effort has been made to have New Nova (7900-8324) buses maintain all service on route #54 Cicero (and by extension, #54B South Cicero).

(There are exceptions - but they seem to confine to Saturday and Sunday service.)

I do not know why. This though, seems to be similar to what the Authority is doing on route #9 (and #X9) Ashland. Since, as numerous other threads here on Chitransit inform us that Bus Rapid Transit on Ashland is dead, dead, dead, why is Ashland being run with only New Nova buses? Is a test of Transit Signal Priority (TSP) continuing on Ashland?

Is a test of TSP occurring on Cicero Avenue?

Could this be a sign that an express bus route (#X54) might get another shot on Cicero?

The clarion signal to me is that a populous route from Chicago garage, #20 Madison, seemingly does not get many New Novas assigned | allowed on its runs. If the imprimatur is to run the New Novas primarily on routes with high(er) ridership, #20 would get all New Novas before #54.

Lucidly, we need somebody in middle management stationed @ Chicago Garage to inform us here of the circumstance.

* = To prevent my haters here on the forum from rubbing in my face a spot where my postulate falters; here is an image of a New Flyer bus [#1430] running northbound on route #X9. But then, we don't have anybody in middle management at 74th St. Garage to explain how this happened either.

11 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

Is a test of Transit Signal Priority (TSP) continuing on Ashland?

It was supposed to be in service well before now.

Pudgym I would say that the newer buses are more plentiful on the weekend due to less runs. How many older NFs are on madison. The whole street, half? Maybe the NFs have more seats and can handle more passenger volume. 

If someone wants to answer my question. Why are 17 year old #6400"s running on the weekend? Now I understand in the summer as the A.C. on those #7900's is terrible. 

56 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Either an operator or someone from CTA left a cab window open or unlocked, or the young man jimmied the  operator window open.  Either way, it is never a good idea to stick one's head out the window of a moving train.

I once saw a teenager do the same thing on a Green Line train between  Central and Harlem  going WB.  Fortunately for  him, no poles and no oncoming UP-W Metra train to take his head out.  

Everyday, I go on Streetsblog Chicago and get updates on recent development and transit news is Chicago and for other major cities. An article by the Chicago Tribune was featured in their daily briefing. It was about Light Rail! I have been to other major cities that have light rail, (Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, Boston, and New York (Currently planning the BQX)) But I found it interesting that the thought of Chicago having a Light Rail going through, in this case, the Lincoln Yards, could happen. Many Light Rail/Streetcar projects have been created for the sole purpose of development. But I think the redevelopment of the Lincoln Yards is meant to COMPLETELY change the area, mainly because it’s very industrial. What do you guys think? Would you like to see a Light Rail is Chicago? 

48 minutes ago, TransitXan17 said:

Everyday, I go on Streetsblog Chicago and get updates on recent development and transit news is Chicago and for other major cities. An article by the Chicago Tribune was featured in their daily briefing. It was about Light Rail! I have been to other major cities that have light rail, (Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, Boston, and New York (Currently planning the BQX)) But I found it interesting that the thought of Chicago having a Light Rail going through, in this case, the Lincoln Yards, could happen. Many Light Rail/Streetcar projects have been created for the sole purpose of development. But I think the redevelopment of the Lincoln Yards is meant to COMPLETELY change the area, mainly because it’s very industrial. What do you guys think? Would you like to see a Light Rail is Chicago? 

That article is about as big of a joke as, for instance, the Monroe distributor of about 1992. Only thing indicated is that some developer is submitting a plan that might include a use for an abandoned ROW. There's no way to assure that the developer will build the development (especially if he is counting on Amazon HQ2), no less the LRV. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TransitXan17 said:

Would you like to see a Light Rail is Chicago? 

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Only thing indicated is that some developer is submitting a plan that might include a use for an abandoned ROW.

It might be nice to see the South Chicago branch of the Metra Electric converted into a light rail line, similar to the Gold Line plan from many years back. Though maintenance costs might be high, LRVs would probably be quieter than the trains used on the Metra Electric. LRVs would also run well at the grade crossings, at least better than L rolling stock with third rail, and they could take advantage of the existing overhead wire. However, I'm not entirely sure how much demand there would be for such a project. Plus, it would be much cheaper to simply increase headways on the Metra Electric.

The "Amazon" (North Branch/Goose Island) light-rail probably won't pan out. I think the biggest obstacle is that the line will have to use streets that will be shared with cars, which will inevitably have traffic once the land is developed. 

Also, the line as currently envisioned only connects to the Pink/Green line at Clinton and most likely (but not guaranteed) Ogilvie and Union. What this says to me is that the light-rail proposal is more about getting suburbanites over to the North Branch employment center which is probably the wrong focus as the whole idea of locating up there is to attract workers from Lincoln Park, Wicker Park and the other north side neighborhoods.

17 hours ago, Busjack said:

Masked racoon hauled away from the Cermak-Chinatown station.“He was hanging out right under the sign for the stop and a sign that says: ‘Stay off the tracks because of high voltage'.” Did not say if he intended to burglarize the Ventra machine, nor if Slylock Fox was called out.

He was looking for the train headed to the Dan Ryan woods. Lol!!

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

He was looking for the train headed to the Dan Ryan woods. Lol!!

Should have been on an Orange Line platform. What made him think they would let him on the #87 bus?

12 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Should have been on an Orange Line platform. What made him think they would let him on the #87 bus?

He could have just caught the blue line to rosemont and he would have been happy but hopefully he practiced his frogger ability. That trip across the highway might take him to a whole new world otherwise.

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2018 at 11:29 AM, BusHunter said:

He could have just caught the blue line to rosemont and he would have been happy but hopefully he practiced his frogger ability. That trip across the highway might take him to a whole new world otherwise.

Unless he knows about the tunnel underneath the highway.

Wasn't there an incident involving a deer on the Blue Line tracks around Cumberland a few years back?

On 5/9/2018 at 9:12 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Wasn't there an incident involving a deer on the Blue Line tracks around Cumberland a few years back?

He was looking for the train to forest park.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:12 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

They usually have one incident a year. A deer usually steps on the 3rd rail. I've never heard of a striking fatality. Probably in fear the deer would step on the 3rd rail before it was struck.

This a short clip of my ride this morning on NF #1541 on the X49. What made me record was that I noticed the bus was shifting gears in that odd way that used to happen from time to time with the MAN Americanas. Hopefully you guys are able to hear it clearly enough above the rattle of the railing inside the bus as it hit some bumps along that stretch between Madison and Chicago Avenue that I recorded. The previous time I encounted it on a New Flyer was a couple years ago in 1867 on the X9 a couple months before Ashland became all Nova due to TSP. This morning was the first time I ran into it with an ISM powered NF.