sw4400

Random CTA

A block ID of N## would indicate a night owl run, right? I see some of these during the day (Routes 87, 79, 63, 49)

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

A block ID of N## would indicate a night owl run, right? I see some of these during the day (Routes 87, 79, 63, 49)

Yeahsoke of those guys work 8 hours so they get tied to a night run. 

Has CTA started adding more trains to the Blue Line? I noticed the other day a Blue Line train (going to O'hare) on the Eisenhower with a 3xx run, and then a few days ago, an 8 car "Not in Service" train (going to 54th Yard?) near the Pulaski Pink Line station which is unusual as most trains on the Pink Line are 4/6 cars. I also saw a few days ago a 3200 series train passing 50th Ave between Cicero and 54th/Cermak with an O'hare destination sign but I don't know if that was on purpose or if the sign was stuck on O'hare.

59 minutes ago, Agent said:

Has CTA started adding more trains to the Blue Line? I noticed the other day a Blue Line train (going to O'hare) on the Eisenhower with a 3xx run, and then a few days ago, an 8 car "Not in Service" train (going to 54th Yard?) near the Pulaski Pink Line station which is unusual as most trains on the Pink Line are 4/6 cars. I also saw a few days ago a 3200 series train passing 50th Ave between Cicero and 54th/Cermak with an O'hare destination sign but I don't know if that was on purpose or if the sign was stuck on O'hare.

Check the supplement 5000s thread for details 🤠🤠

I saw a CTA New Flyer 40' with the destination sign of "Police Charter", parked on Chestnut next to the Hancock Building.  It was run P675.  Is that for hauling a lot of cops around or for mass arrests?   I assume it was there in case of a Not Guilty verdict in the Van Dyke trial.

4 hours ago, strictures said:

I saw a CTA New Flyer 40' with the destination sign of "Police Charter", parked on Chestnut next to the Hancock Building.  It was run P675.  Is that for hauling a lot of cops around or for mass arrests?   I assume it was there in case of a Not Guilty verdict in the Van Dyke trial.

I also saw a lot of buses (6+?) near the Humboldt Park boathouse with a NOT IN SERVICE destination sign and surrounded by police. I'm also assuming they were preparing for anything something bad.

8 hours ago, Agent said:

I also saw a lot of buses (6+?) near the Humboldt Park boathouse with a NOT IN SERVICE destination sign and surrounded by police. I'm also assuming they were preparing for anything something bad.

That was on the news, too.

43 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Well, they got the right verdict, so all was quiet?

There were demonstrations, not protests, if that helps anything.

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

There were demonstrations, not protests, if that helps anything.

There weren't the predicted riots which led to clearing Loop offices and the schools, which was the probable reason for such sightings as artics on 3.

Anyone have any insight as to why the 52 and 28 are consistently getting artics now? I thought it was for school trips, but the 52 doesn't have them and the 28 doesn't seem to use them for it. They usually show up during morning rush, midday and Saturday (and evening rush for the 52). Usually about 3 or so 4000s at a time.

5 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Anyone have any insight as to why the 52 and 28 are consistently getting artics now? I thought it was for school trips, but the 52 doesn't have them and the 28 doesn't seem to use them for it. They usually show up during morning rush, midday and Saturday (and evening rush for the 52). Usually about 3 or so 4000s at a time.

K and 103 routes, and since there are 100 extra, running them someplace.

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

K and 103 routes, and since there are 100 extra, running them someplace.

If there are extra artics, then send a few more to North Park, as they've been running 40 footers on the 151 this week & use them for the afternoon rush on the westbound 155, which is usually jammed.

5 hours ago, strictures said:

If there are extra artics, then send a few more to North Park, as they've been running 40 footers on the 151 this week & use them for the afternoon rush on the westbound 155, which is usually jammed.

The 151 has more than enough buses that the odd shoebox or so isn't going to be particularly detrimental to service. As for the 155, will artics be able to clear the UP-N tracks? I seem to remember this being a problem with the 145 & 148

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The 151 has more than enough buses that the odd shoebox or so isn't going to be particularly detrimental to service. As for the 155, will artics be able to clear the UP-N tracks? I seem to remember this being a problem with the 145 & 148

City of Chicago Viaduct list says 12'10", while a hybrid bus needs 11'1". Of course, no issue concerning a diesel one.

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

City of Chicago Viaduct list says 12'10", while a hybrid bus needs 11'1". Of course, no issue concerning a diesel one.

I don't know what I  did with the viaduct listings  but most UPN viaducts on major streets are around 12'  and up.  Other streets are as low as 11' 6",  In most cases, city viaducts generally have an extra 3 inches of clearance unless the marking says "exactly."  While Lawrence UPN is around 12 ft 10 in, I think Wilson was 11ft? 

On 10/11/2018 at 9:12 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Multiple artics from 136, 147 & 151 go west on Devon everyday when their afternoon runs end.  They all pass under the viaduct at Ravenswood ave. without a problem, even the early 4300s with the fairings on the roof.

The only really low viaducts on the UPN are at the side streets near Belmont, such as Melrose & Wellington & no bus of any kind goes there.

• Upvote 2

Bus #8186 on the #53 Pulaski kept turning off at the 31st Terminal, luckily a CTA supervisor was behind the bus at the terminal and was able to get the bus back in service a little late. I later tracked it and saw it said "CHICAGO GARAGE  NOW APPROACHING" on Bus Tracker (it short turned at Erie) but I couldn't get a screenshot in time. It did though display "Grand & California 16 MIN" which was odd as I wouldn't expect it to show future stops for a different route the bus would make as it later turned into a #65 Grand bus to Navy Pier. I tracked #8186 on busfinder.byronasaurus.com and it showed it was "Route 992 to CHICAGO GARAGE".

I did notice it idled at Troy/Chicago for a few minutes, when I clicked on the stop, it displayed Stop 18219 which is not a valid stop identifier according to Bus Tracker. Just an observation though 

Run #321 (supposed to be the run for Blue Line 5000s from 54th Yard) is appearing in train tracker as a Pink Line train to "See train", I wonder if this is actually a Pink Line or an error

34 minutes ago, Agent said:

Run #321 (supposed to be the run for Blue Line 5000s from 54th Yard) is appearing in train tracker as a Pink Line train to "See train", I wonder if this is actually a Pink Line or an error

Virtual reality isn't reality. They have to program something into the signal system.

4 hours ago, Agent said:

Run #321 is out of 54th yard.  Run numbers that are #300-399 are Pink Line trains.  That's why it appears that way on the train tracker. 

On 10/11/2018 at 3:40 PM, strictures said:

Um nope on that. North Park has 140 artics and does not need more for the umpteenth time whenever folks make that suggestion. 

• Upvote 1