sw4400

Random CTA

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

MAYOR RAHM EMANUEL ANNOUNCES MORE BUS LANES.

While the S-T makes a big deal that it is city money, streets are a CDOT responsibility. Also demonstrates how much ridership has deteriorated.

Finally, the city is willing to make at least a token change to streets to improve bus service. CDOT needs to do a complete re-think, and get rid of some parking spots and create more standing zones for Uber/Lyft and deliveries and whatnot (although that's complicated by the parking meter operations).

Bus lanes on Chicago Ave should be relatively easy to implement from Noble to Fairbanks, but I'm not really familiar with 79th on the east side so I can't comment on that. I hope that they also get rid of some stops and improve the remaining ones. 

15 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

although that's complicated by the parking meter operations).

That's correct, as the city would have to pay off the concessionaire.

15 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

but I'm not really familiar with 79th on the east side so I can't comment on that. 

Problem is that between State and Stony Island, 79th is one lane each way, and, as is typical of Chicago streets, there are 4 way stop signs where there aren't stop lights. No way to manage an arterial. Also, a lot of on-street parking in one of the few still successful south side business districts.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Busjack said:

MAYOR RAHM EMANUEL ANNOUNCES MORE BUS LANES.

While the S-T makes a big deal that it is city money, streets are a CDOT responsibility. Also demonstrates how much ridership has deteriorated.

Also confirms the already known fact that Ashland BRT ain't happening any time soon if ever in favor of bringing back X9 and X49. 

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

Also confirms the already known fact that Ashland BRT ain't happening any time soon if ever in favor of bringing back X9 and X49. 

Notwithstanding the usual quoted delusional activist.

Bus lanes of 79th will NEVER pass political muster. Too many small businesses that would almost certainly go bust if customers can't park in front.  People will not walk a block but will go elsewhere.

Well, even the Brown Line has 2600-series cars now. Some of the 3200s from the Brown Line got moved to the Blue as well.

1540159206689373616153.jpg

If i'm reading this correctly, I believe the 93 and the 206 are also interlined as well, although only on Mondays. 4341 started the 1:40p or 1:41p trip on the 93 that starts at Foster/Albany and ends at ETHS. Notably, one of those trips returns as a 93 to Foster (2:23p), but one doesn't. 206 has a 2:18 departure from ETHS, which would explain why the next stops are Church & Florence and Church & Wesley.

Capture.PNG

Nobody mentioned the 75th anniversary of the subway. Apparently not to the 4000 series party cars, either, as ABC7 reported that they were delayed due to mechanical issues, and the Tribune just said the trip was canceled.

36 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Nobody mentioned the 75th anniversary of the subway. Apparently not to the 4000 series party cars, either, as ABC7 reported that they were delayed due to mechanical issues, and the Tribune just said the trip was canceled.

From what I heard, there was a power issue around the south incline, which also disrupted Green and Orange Line service. Patrick Kinney took a more recent picture of the set heading north past Armitage, probably to Howard or Skokie Shops...

47 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The cta hastily made an announcement ~24 hours ago via Twitter with a link to a page on their website. Rides were to be organized via tickets that could be RSVP'd for online, which quickly sold out. Sad to hear that it was later canceled.

I saw Graham Garfield today at the Lake station today. I mentioned seeing the 4000s northbound near Wilson this afternoon.

He said there was a mechanical problem so they were on their way back to the Skokie shops. :(

Edited by geneking7320
corrected spelling

Wow, now this is some nostalgia. I have boarded #3201, the very first 3200-series built in early 1992. And yes, it's on the Blue Line. 

👼

1540840867451215516606.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2018 at 3:52 PM, Johnny 5 said:

Another nostalgia! Found a first-ever 2600-series car #2601 at Logan Square.

1029181744.jpg

All they have to do is run 2601, 2602, 3201, and 3202 together!

• Haha 1

Around 11:10 Am today, Oct. 31, S-503, the diesel powered snowbrush went through Howard & ended up on the layup track west of the Skokie Shop.  I didn't get any photos or video because I was just coming down the stairs & carrying some stuff.

6 hours ago, strictures said:

Around 11:10 Am today, Oct. 31, S-503, the diesel powered snowbrush went through Howard & ended up on the layup track west of the Skokie Shop.  I didn't get any photos or video because I was just coming down the stairs & carrying some stuff.

It has been going southbound from Howard to some unknown point down the NSML, then coming back up on the same track ~15 minutes later, pretty much everyday around 11:00am for the past week. Here is a video I took of it crossing Sheridan Road off Devon ave. Any ideas why? 

IMG_5131.MOV

13 hours ago, ThirdRailVision said:

It has been going southbound from Howard to some unknown point down the NSML, then coming back up on the same track ~15 minutes later, pretty much everyday around 11:00am for the past week. Here is a video I took of it crossing Sheridan Road off Devon ave. Any ideas why? 

IMG_5131.MOV

How come it played sideways on my computer?

14 hours ago, ThirdRailVision said:

IMG_5131.MOV

What does NSML stand for? Im thinking "North Shore etc etc".

19 hours ago, ThirdRailVision said:

IMG_5131.MOV

Operator familiarization for the upcoming season. Done every year so the Skokie switchmen who would run it in a snowstorm remember how to work it.

Maybe 20-30 years ago it was a much more common problem. Many more routes with no washrooms at terminals. In 1980's rotted out rear stepwells were very common.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Looks like CTA should buy some motor coaches. I've known the "bad taco" feeling.

I've had to go in the middle of a route before.  Two things worked in my favor.  First I was caught at a RR crossing by a freight train.   Secondly,  I had a motorcoach with a lavatory.   Since then, I was careful with wat and when I ate and drank before driving.

2 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I've had to go in the middle of a route before.  Two things worked in my favor.  First I was caught at a RR crossing by a freight train.   Secondly,  I had a motorcoach with a lavatory.   Since then, I was careful with wat and when I ate and drank before driving.

I've been on a few CTA buses where the driver took a 'personal' to hit the toilet.  As i have serious gut problems, i fully understand & always know where every McDonald's, Burger King, Target, large grocery stores & medical offices are on my route

On 10/29/2018 at 2:23 PM, Johnny 5 said:

Wow, now this is some nostalgia. I have boarded #3201, the very first 3200-series built in early 1992. And yes, it's on the Blue Line. 

👼

1540840867451215516606.jpg

“3200” used to be a 3200 series car but cta did changes on the numbering’s so now the 3200’s start with 3201