sw4400

Random CTA

5 hours ago, jtrosario said:

78 Development article pics with internal and external pics of proposed 15th/Clark Red Line station:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/12/21/18150211/the-78-cta-red-line-related-midwest

Answered my question.

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Not like Roosevelt, Cermak-Chinatown, Cermak-McCormick or even 18th St Metra are impossible walking distances for current crime...

32 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Would a station at 15th really be necessary considering Roosevelt station, routes 18, 24,29, 62, and the Michigan routes are so close?  It's one thing to close a gap with an in fill but this seems a lot plus isn't an interlocking not too far away that would need to be moved?  

Other than Roosevelt, the other stations are over a mile away. The other question (as implied by the conflict between wards)  is how far  west the 78 is going to go.

However, the issue is the same as that raised by the Lincoln Yards transitway. If the areas develop to the extent the  proponents claim, they will generate ridership, the TIFs will pay for the improvements, and the transit will be needed to market the properties. Nobody is going to move there based on  infrequent service on many of the bus routes @Sam92 listed. On the other hand,  if this turns out like South Works, there won't be a station.

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

Answered my question.

Other than Roosevelt, the other stations are over a mile away. The other question (as implied by the conflict between wards)  is how far  west the 78 is going to go.

However, the issue is the same as that raised by the Lincoln Yards transitway. If the areas develop to the extent the  proponents claim, they will generate ridership, the TIFs will pay for the improvements, and the transit will be needed to market the properties. Nobody is going to move there based on  infrequent service on many of the bus routes @Sam92 listed. On the other hand,  if this turns out like South Works, there won't be a station.

On 15th the service would not be that infrequent most of those routes funnelling onto the same streets in thst area. I'm not saying the development won't spur ridership I'm just saying it seems to be a lot in an area that's not exactly hurting for service 

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

On 15th the service would not be that infrequent most of those routes funnelling onto the same streets in thst area.

24 is every 17-18 minutes, 62 is too far south unless the only streets to which you are referring are State and Michigan, in which case the developers don't believe it is marketable. Similarly, from the linked articles, they don't think it is marketable unless the street grid is extended and some bridges added,

Heck, if I were them, I would advocate that the often mentioned Wells or Clinton subways be built through the property.

On 12/20/2018 at 2:16 PM, ThirdRailVision said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PetroleYUM/permalink/1857359031042962/

Not really a bus guy but came across this on facebook. CTA bus spotted 800 miles away in the mountains of New York.

Any ideas what it’s doing out there? 

Below is a screenshot of the post just in case the link doesn’t work. 

1792FF9D-3FFD-4D5B-BF9F-ED38612FA890.jpeg

Your pic shows that the remaining 25 Novas in the 7900s coming soon will not have rear windows similar to Nova hybrids that SEPTA recently received alongside some hybrid Xcelsiors they also got, not that the current CTA 7900s have much of one with the rear route number indicator taking up much of the space. 

On 12/23/2018 at 9:12 AM, Busjack said:

24 is every 17-18 minutes, 62 is too far south unless the only streets to which you are referring are State and Michigan, in which case the developers don't believe it is marketable. Similarly, from the linked articles, they don't think it is marketable unless the street grid is extended and some bridges added,

Heck, if I were them, I would advocate that the often mentioned Wells or Clinton subways be built through the property.

There's also the fact that the 62 operates on Roosevelt Road during the CTA owl hours, which helps give that stretch of Roosevelt 24 hour service. So I have to agree also that particular area is not hurting for service to really warrant putting another Red Line station so close to the south of Roosevelt in conjunction with the point about whether the station will smoothly enough to not interfere with how the interlocking and tunnel south of Roosevelt are aligned with each other especially when you also factor in the tunnels that lead up to the South Side Main. 

37 minutes ago, jajuan said:

There's also the fact that the 62 operates on Roosevelt Road during the CTA owl hours, which helps give that stretch of Roosevelt 24 hour service. So I have to agree also that particular area is not hurting for service to really warrant putting another Red Line station so close to the south of Roosevelt in conjunction with the point about whether the station will smoothly enough to not interfere with how the interlocking and tunnel south of Roosevelt are aligned with each other especially when you also factor in the tunnels that lead up to the South Side Main. 

Currently you are correct.  If the 78 is on a very large scale extending to 18th   a station at 15th could make sense.   IIRC the station would be south of the midtunnel interlocking. 

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Currently you are correct.  If the 78 is on a very large scale extending to 18th   a station at 15th could make sense.   IIRC the station would be south of the midtunnel interlocking. 

Even 18Th you still close to cermak.  I feel like we can use the time and resource to put something more dire on the priority list especially for all the disruptions this will cause to make this happen

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jajuan said:

While the area might not be hurting for transit in the general sense, the people who will be living in The 78 are probably more apt to ride the 'L' than the bus. 

8 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Even 18Th you still close to cermak.  I feel like we can use the time and resource to put something more dire on the priority list especially for all the disruptions this will cause to make this happen

I don't think people are going well fro Cermak toa job at, say, 16th and th Chicago River.  We are talking a high density development.  At least at 15th St station shortens walking distance.  At 14th and the River the distance between there and either Cermak or Roosevelt becomes unattractive.

11 hours ago, Sam92 said:

8 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

While the area might not be hurting for transit in the general sense, the people who will be living in The 78 are probably more apt to ride the 'L' than the bus. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think people are going well fro Cermak toa job at, say, 16th and th Chicago River.  We are talking a high density development.  At least at 15th St station shortens walking distance.  At 14th and the River the distance between there and either Cermak or Roosevelt becomes unattractive.

In defense of the project, every train station (Cermak-R, Cermak-G, Roosevelt & 18th) is a minimum 15+ minute walk, which might be a breaking point for some people (personally, I'm fine with walking that distance to the train). However, I agree with @Sam92 in that, there are other projects that should take priority over this. Plus, they still need the support of the aldercreature (thanks @Busjack) before it can move forward, I believe.

11 hours ago, Sam92 said:

The TIF money has to be spent in the area of the TIF. That's the same as saying that the 78 TIF should be used to rebuild 83rd St. That isn't allowed. Similarly, the Medical District TIF was used to rebuild the Medical District station, not one at Central and Harrison.

22 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Plus, they still need the support of the aldercreature (thanks @Busjack) before it can move forward, I believe.

It has already passed the city council.

Apparently there has been a few Green Line station upgrades completed at Kedzie, 51st, Halsted, and Cottage Grove.

https://www.transitchicago.com/mayor-emanuel-cta-announce-completion-of-improvements-to-four-green-line-stations/

RFP for Green Line track improvements (West and South side)

https://www.transitchicago.com/solicitation/details/?cta=ApJjfjFvPxLlxK3CGTXDVVY5QQ746B8VIO2yM8wlv3I%3D

A tow truck crashed into the Logan Square Blue Line this morning: 

https://abc7chicago.com/multi-vehicle-crash-sends-tow-truck-crashing-into-cta-blue-line-station/4985676/

22 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

Apparently there has been a few Green Line station upgrades completed at Kedzie, 51st, Halsted, and Cottage Grove.

https://www.transitchicago.com/mayor-emanuel-cta-announce-completion-of-improvements-to-four-green-line-stations/

RFP for Green Line track improvements (West and South side)

https://www.transitchicago.com/solicitation/details/?cta=ApJjfjFvPxLlxK3CGTXDVVY5QQ746B8VIO2yM8wlv3I%3D

A tow truck crashed into the Logan Square Blue Line this morning: 

https://abc7chicago.com/multi-vehicle-crash-sends-tow-truck-crashing-into-cta-blue-line-station/4985676/

Green Line slow zones EB between Ashland and  Morgan, and both directions between Cermak-McCormick Pl and 35th.

4 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I didn't realize that school trips out of 74th borrowed artics, 4006 & 4008 are on the 62

Those school trippers with artics are operated by Kedzie garage, not 74th.  Besides 74th not having the appropriate lifts to handle artics at that garage, it certainly hasn't been assigned any artics.  Once those K artics are through with their tripper, it operates one of the north lakefront routes that K operates.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Those school trippers with artics are operated by Kedzie garage, not 74th.  Besides 74th not having the appropriate lifts to handle artics at that garage, it certainly hasn't been assigned any artics.  Once those K artics are through with their tripper, it operates one of the north lakefront routes that K operates.

I know about the artic & 74th situation, my curiosity was more so that Kedzie was operating artics on a non-shared route, which I hadn't seen before.

12 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I know about the artic & 74th situation, my curiosity was more so that Kedzie was operating artics on a non-shared route, which I hadn't seen before.

62 has mostly been a shared route.

Also people have documented NP running artics to schools in FG territory.

Actually, when Archer closed, 62 was primarily a Kedzie route with some runs operated by 74th.

14 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

3 minutes ago, Busjack said:

62 has mostly been a shared route.

Other than the trippers, I haven't seen any  K operated 62s.

6 hours ago, strictures said:

Lucky for us, our city and state officials don't ride CTA nor Metra.  Maybe they will ride the new cars once for publicity.

• Haha 2

On 1/7/2019 at 6:20 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Its a result of the decrowding plan freeing up runs to where a few artics can handle Kelly, Kennedy and another high school before serving their share of work on lake shore routes. K handed over primary service to 74th after not doing too much work south of 39th