sw4400

Random CTA

As far as the bus CTA does have plenty of insurance for the bus and passengers.

I was of the impression that it was self-insured, but CTA usually has to pay.

I was of the impression that it was self-insured, but CTA usually has to pay.

CTA will write you out a check if you are injured and have proof from a doctor. But from what I heard someone else say they frown upon anyone talking to the media. They pay pretty good if what I heard is true.

Well on a lighter note and in a bit of CTA weirdness, Forest Glen ran 519 on the 84 Peterson this morning during the height of rush hour. A 40 foot bus is usually crammed to the gills on this route on its eastern half all the way up to the Bryn Mawr Red Line station, so it was pretty odd to see a 30 foot bus running the route during a busy rush period.

CTA will write you out a check if you are injured and have proof from a doctor. But from what I heard someone else say they frown upon anyone talking to the media. They pay pretty good if what I heard is true.

It depends on whether the two sides settle. If it is anything big, it goes to litigation, and CTA claims not to be the pushover that it once was. However, the notice of claim requirement, which resulted in a lot of lawsuits being dismissed, was repealed a couple of years ago.

Well on a lighter note and in a bit of CTA weirdness, Forest Glen ran 519 on the 84 Peterson this morning during the height of rush hour. A 40 foot bus is usually crammed to the gills on this route on its eastern half all the way up to the Bryn Mawr Red Line station, so it was pretty odd to see a 30 foot bus running the route during a busy rush period.

Only thing that I can think of was the Red Line delays required shuttle bus service this morning, making Forest Glen loan a few 40' buses for emergency service through the affected areas. I don't know if shuttle buses were used as I caught the tail end of the alert.

Only thing that I can think of was the Red Line delays required shuttle bus service this morning, making Forest Glen loan a few 40' buses for emergency service through the affected areas. I don't know if shuttle buses were used as I caught the tail end of the alert.

Not likely because every other bus on the route was a 40 foot bus, And the last few rounds of bus shuttles for any Red Line or Brown Line disruption from what I have seen have been done with articulated buses from North Park. This just appeared to be a random fluke much like the one report some time ago by someone else of an Optima operating on the 22 during rush hour during that brief period that North Park operated Optima buses.

Ignorance of the passenger, nothing done by the operator... route:152, bus: 6757

I'd be more concerned with the walker blocking the aisle being a tripping/safety hazard than the belongings on the seat.

Ignorance of the passenger, nothing done by the operator... route:152, bus: 6757

Plus you didn't make clear what was the issue. The walker blocking the aisle or the belongings on the seat? Were you trying to convey that the belongings on the seat was blocking someone who used a walker from sitting down? As unlikely as it sounds for all anyone else knows, the belongings could have belonged to the walker using passenger as I've been on buses where folks got on with walkers packed with belongings and their range of motion displayed suggesting that they had no real use of the walker other than transporting all the stuff they brought on the bus.

• Upvote 2

Plus you didn't make clear what was the issue. The walker blocking the aisle or the belongings on the seat? Were you trying to convey that the belongings on the seat was blocking someone who used a walker from sitting down? As unlikely as it sounds for all anyone else knows, the belongings could have belonged to the walker using passenger as I've been on buses where folks got on with walkers packed with belongings and they're range of motion displayed suggesting that they had no real use of the walker other than transporting all the stuff they brought on the bus.

This is why I stand most of the time and I'm always the usher for the walkers.... well out on Cottage Grove.

Plus you didn't make clear what was the issue. The walker blocking the aisle or the belongings on the seat? Were you trying to convey that the belongings on the seat was blocking someone who used a walker from sitting down? As unlikely as it sounds for all anyone else knows, the belongings could have belonged to the walker using passenger as I've been on buses where folks got on with walkers packed with belongings and they're range of motion displayed suggesting that they had no real use of the walker other than transporting all the stuff they brought on the bus.

I should've, since my photo caught both... the issue I was bringing up was the belongings on the seat. The guy who they belong to was standing over by the wheelwell on the right. When he first boarded, he took the seat right next to these(the two transverse ones I think you call them). After putting his stuff on them for a few minutes, he decides "There just isn't enough room here." So he proceeds to move his belongings to the seats I took a photo of there. Now I bet if some more disabled people boarded, or if a wheelchair did board, he would've kept things as they were, forcing others to have to move.

As for the walker, it should've been folded, I agree. That guy with the walker was already seated, so the other rude passengers' luggage wouldn't have bothered him. But the luggage guy clearly in plain view just put all his stuff up there, basically taking all three seats.

As for the walker, it should've been folded, I agree. That guy with the walker was already seated, so the other rude passengers' luggage wouldn't have bothered him. But the luggage guy clearly in plain view just put all his stuff up there, basically taking all three seats.

So what would you have liked the bus operator to do?

So what would you have liked the bus operator to do?

It's a gray area when dealing with customers, T8H5307A. I know many of the do's and don't's of handling unabiding customers. At the same time, if someone in need of those seats came on board and said space taker didn't move his stuff upon request, forcing that person to ask you to make him move the stuff, would you? That's where the gray area comes in, as you'd probably have to curb the bus to most likely argue with this guy about taking all those seats, and if you do nothing, maybe nothing comes of it or maybe the person in need becomes irate with you, writes down the bus number, run number and your operator number and calls the CTA on you.

It's a damned if you do/damned if you don't scenario... I've been in a few myself.

I know the CTA is supposed to start having Bus Operators order parents with strollers to fold them up now. That's going to be a headache on your parts as I've seen Clark St. Bus Operators arguing with parents about their unfolded strollers and listening to their parents give the Operator hell about it.

It's a gray area when dealing with customers, T8H5307A. I know many of the do's and don't's of handling unabiding customers. At the same time, if someone in need of those seats came on board and said space taker didn't move his stuff upon request, forcing that person to ask you to make him move the stuff, would you? That's where the gray area comes in, as you'd probably have to curb the bus to most likely argue with this guy about taking all those seats, and if you do nothing, maybe nothing comes of it or maybe the person in need becomes irate with you, writes down the bus number, run number and your operator number and calls the CTA on you.

It's a damned if you do/damned if you don't scenario... I've been in a few myself.

I know the CTA is supposed to start having Bus Operators order parents with strollers to fold them up now. That's going to be a headache on your parts as I've seen Clark St. Bus Operators arguing with parents about their unfolded strollers and listening to their parents give the Operator hell about it.

Interesting that you mentioned strollers as I witnessed a young lady bring one onto bus 542 operating on the 84 Peterson. Yes yet another Optima running on the 84 again in the space of a week. (My first time riding an Optima bus). It was a standard sized stroller, but it took up the whole front end of the bus given we're talking about a 30 footer to begin with. And I have to question the wisdom of an Optima being allowed on a route like the 84 once again. It may have been midday this time around that an Optima found its way on the 84, but with my short ride from Clark to California this bus was still on the verge to being standing room only even before the stroller was brought on board because that model's entirely too small to serve a route of even the 84's ridership.

Nutcase or potential terrorist on the Chicago Avenue bus. (Story)

One can make an inference from the booking photo, although it is still open whether he is legally insane.

If you ask me the bond is to low.

IMO, he isn't going to come up with the $9,000 cash bond (10%). If he is released pending trial, I bet it is with conditions. And if it is terrorism, the feds will get involved. Probably will, anyways.

One can make an inference from the booking photo, although it is still open whether he is legally insane.

IMO, he isn't going to come up with the $9,000 cash bond (10%). If he is released pending trial, I bet it is with conditions. And if it is terrorism, the feds will get involved. Probably will, anyways.

Right. I personally would be surprised if the feds didn't get involved given the nature of what this idiot is charge with in what is a post 9/11 world.

Here's an interesting video... passenger appearantly had someone else's CTA transit I.D and wouldn't leave the bus without getting it back and refused to let the Bus Operator continue with it. So operator physically forces him away from the bus, and the rest I'll let you see here

Here's an interesting video... passenger appearantly had someone else's CTA transit I.D and wouldn't leave the bus without getting it back and refused to let the Bus Operator continue with it. So operator physically forces him away from the bus, and the rest I'll let you see here

The video seemed to lack context (in that it started with the shoving match).

However, I mentioned thugs a minute ago, and this CTA driver certainly was one.

So much for the mission statement items of:

• "Courteous - We will create a pleasant environment for ourselves and our customers.
  • Motivated - We will meet each task with spirit, enthusiasm and a sense of pride to be second to none.
  • Professional - We will provide transit service with the highest standards of quality and safety for our customers and ourselves."

It would appear that this bus driver could be charged with assault IF he initiated physical contact first. If passenger refused to get off bus, a call to the police should've sufficed. The driver did have a right to confiscate someone else's transit card (my guess it was a senior's free or reduced RTA card). This sort of thing (not the assault) happens all the time on CTA and Pace. I recently witnessed a young lady get a card she was trying to use (that wasn't hers) confiscated. She was able to ride after she reluctantly paid a fare, though she vehemently argued that she bought her card recently. This happened on a Pace bus. IMO, at least this driver didn't give the passenger an uppercut. Or maybe the driver was trying to avoid getting slapped in the face like this one did:

I'm not sure anyone noticed, but this guy kept sticking his arm in between the bus doors as the driver was closing the doors and trying to leave the stop. In that regard, this guy was risking harm not only to himself but to those on board the bus. So it brings into question, how courteous is an operator expected to remain when you have a moron constantly sticking his arm in between the doors as the doors close, and you're trying to get your bus on its way? Maybe the operator shouldn't have gotten physical. That part can be granted, but in the context of having someone continually sticking their arm between the front doors as you're closing them and trying to pull the bus away that hardly justifies classifying the operator as a thug. It seems we're again a bit too free with throwing that word around without examining the full context of a situation.

• Upvote 2

It would appear that this bus driver could be charged with assault IF he initiated physical contact first

And if the person is reading here, bring a civil action against the CTA for assault.

...That part can be granted, but in the context of having someone continually sticking their arm between the front doors as you're closing them and trying to pull the bus away that hardly justifies classifying the operator as a thug. It seems we're again a bit too free with throwing that word around without examining the full context of a situation.

I noted that the clip was lacking context.

However, as art implies, times change, and the only reason that would justify the driver assaulting the passenger (and one becomes a passenger when reaching the bus stop--not delayed until the driver accepts your fare) is if the passenger assaulted him first, not even if the passenger stuck his arm in the door. Proper protocol is to call either the police or a supervisor. The last I heard, CTA buses still had Orbital emergency communications systems in them.

And, again, you have two dummies who should have realized that they were being recorded by the holder of the cell phone, and undoubtedly the bus security camera.

So, at least I will stand on that it was not professional and courteous.

And if the person is reading here, bring a civil action against the CTA for assault.

I noted that the clip was lacking context.

However, as art implies, times change, and the only reason that would justify the driver assaulting the passenger (and one becomes a passenger when reaching the bus stop--not delayed until the driver accepts your fare) is if the passenger assaulted him first, not even if the passenger stuck his arm in the door. Proper protocol is to call either the police or a supervisor. The last I heard, CTA buses still had Orbital emergency communications systems in them.

And, again, you have two dummies who should have realized that they were being recorded by the holder of the cell phone, and undoubtedly the bus security camera.

So, at least I will stand on that it was not professional and courteous.

As I said, the point can be granted that the operator shouldn't have gotten physical and some form of discipline from management might be warranted for going against the protocol. But I still question how professional and courteous an operator is expected to remain from a human nature standpoint when you got an idiot sticking his arm between the doors as the doors close and the bus starts to move and regardless of someone taking time to use his cellphone to record stupidity in action over instead using the phone to summon police in lieu of the operator not doing so.

Since there not camera shy.They shouldn't have a problem being on camera in Cook County Court.

Given that this was from a cell phone camera, I doubt either of them thought about or even knew that they were on camera. (Not one from a phone anyway)