sw4400

Random CTA

I wonder when this happened...

There are like how many thousand railroad viaducts in Chicago?

Apparently, though, the driver didn't read the alert on the CTA website about a detour.

Or is proof America is becoming a third world country.

Bad analogy guy. Very bad. Even people who live in third world countries have more sense than displayed in that article. Whoever that was is an idiot by anyone's definition of the word.

A couple years ago on Ashland around Pershing. I wonder what bus number that was out of 74th? Here's another http://nbcchicago.com/traffic/transit/cta-bus-crash-168408046.html that just happened Apr 1st. Looks like the bus sustained heavy frontal damage.

Do you know if that's 1059 or 1069 that got smashed in the front? The bike rack blocks the third digit of the fleet number but you can make out just enough of the roundness a "5" or "6" would have in Helvetica font, but the bike rack blocks enough of the fleet number from the angle of the shot that you can't make out which one it is.

In another one that makes one wonder what the h--- really happened here, a Tribune report that a man supposedly from Addison was found dead on a train of an apparent drug overdose at Ashland-63.

I mean, like how he got there, and how dead he was before the train pulled into the terminal.

How stupid are people??? Seriously??? I walked north on Kedzie to catch the Brown Line, and just south of the tracks.... still on the tracks barely, a guy pulls his car over to talk on a cell phone. I knock on the window and inform him he's on the tracks. He pulls off the track and just seconds after, the gates and lights activate as a train was approaching. The back end of his car was on enough that a passing Loop-bound train would've clipped his car, disrupting Brown Line service most likely.

How stupid are people??? Seriously??? I walked north on Kedzie to catch the Brown Line, and just south of the tracks.... still on the tracks barely, a guy pulls his car over to talk on a cell phone. I knock on the window and inform him he's on the tracks. He pulls off the track and just seconds after, the gates and lights activate as a train was approaching. The back end of his car was on enough that a passing Loop-bound train would've clipped his car, disrupting Brown Line service most likely.

The proper way to describe it is stupidity.

.... I knock on the window and inform him he's on the tracks. He pulls off the track...

I'm surprised he was alert enough to hear you knocking.

But if you had left him alone, maybe we would have had another evening news story of another car being thrust into the station platform. :wub: Seems like most of that stuff happens at Kedzie, where, of course, a drunken Mr. Lee electrocuted himself, leaving a nice wrongful death judgment for his heirs, and, of course, the cop who tried to beat the train.

I'm surprised he was alert enough to hear you knocking.

But if you had left him alone, maybe we would have had another evening news story of another car being thrust into the station platform. :wub:

I'm surprised too. Just seconds afterwards, a Loop-bound train activated the gates. If the train did strike the car, it just would've knocked it southbound on Kedzie into northbound waiting traffic, or perhaps the sidewalks, as the train was heading away from the station and the car was facing southbound.

Another winner of the Darwin Award.

But on another serious note... the traffic before all this was backed up onto both sets of tracks northbound and southbound. Can you imagine the pandemonium if those gates activated while traffic sat on those tracks???

The sign at the crossbucks says it all... Do Not Stop On Tracks

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised too. Just seconds afterwards, a Loop-bound train activated the gates. If the train did strike the car, it just would've knocked it southbound on Kedzie into northbound waiting traffic, or perhaps the sidewalks, as the train was heading away from the station and the car was facing southbound.

Another winner of the Darwin Award.

But on another serious note... the traffic before all this was backed up onto both sets of tracks northbound and southbound. Can you imagine the pandemonium if those gates activated while traffic sat on those tracks???

The sign at the crossbucks says it all... Do Not Stop On Tracks

From your descriptions of the directions, I was a bit doubtful about posting yesterday about hitting the station, like happened in several other cases. I'm not sure about the businesses around there, but probably through some storefront.

On your last sentence, he probably was waiting for a tweet to tell him, but besides that, one isn't supposed to use a cell phone while driving. I don't know if a Bluetooth phone would have been any better with regard to being distracted, but then you would have seen him yelling into the ceiling of his car.

From your descriptions of the directions, I was a bit doubtful about posting yesterday about hitting the station, like happened in several other cases. I'm not sure about the businesses around there, but probably through some storefront.

On your last sentence, he probably was waiting for a tweet to tell him, but besides that, one isn't supposed to use a cell phone while driving. I don't know if a Bluetooth phone would have been any better with regard to being distracted, but then you would have seen him yelling into the ceiling of his car.

That's more likely. On the map you linked to, the guy stopped his car where that bike is parked with the trunk end just a little before that bike is closer to the track. The train would've easily clipped his car as it was going past, causing a delay in Brown Line service as I'm sure CPD has to come to the scene as does CFD and CTA Emergency Services to document what happened all because some nut couldn't pull his car up a little more to talk to Mary Jane or whomever he was on the phone with.

He was on the phone, no Bluetooth. One hand on the steering wheel, one holding his smart phone by his ear(although the phone was actually smarter than the driver here).

Here's a screenprint with a tag to show where the brainless buffoon was at.

post-10-0-50977300-1368287278_thumb.jpg

And this is why you don't go from car to car while the train is in motion unless your safety is threatened. I have no sympathy for this individual. I seen people going from car to car on the Brown Line in the past, I even alerted the Operator for this very reason.

And this is why you don't go from car to car while the train is in motion unless your safety is threatened. I have no sympathy for this individual. I seen people going from car to car on the Brown Line in the past, I even alerted the Operator for this very reason.

I see that John Garcia had it both ways: "Authorities say the victim was moving between cars and ended up on the

track on the Orange Line near the 2500-block of South Archer. It is not known how the victim ended up on the tracks." I would think either gravity or momentum.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that you didn't post the chain of CTA traffic reports "medical emergency" "someone on the tracks" and about 1-1/2 hours later "fatality."

On a similar topic (I guess random elsewhere) WGN News had the usual video of a stroller going over the side of a platform in Philadelphia and mommy then jumping over the side to retrieve baby, and then other passengers pulling mommy up. The difference was that they said there was an emergency button which someone (I don't remember if it was those on the platform or a customer assistant) could push to prevent the train from entering the station. Then Tom Skilling commented "don't they have electric rails or something down there?" I guess they don't teach that in meteorology school.

I've seen people go between cars to smoke a cigarette. I remember in the old days, when a conductor would pass between cars to collect fares, they would do so when the train was at full speed on curves. I always wondered how they kept there balance. Another thing, when the #6000's were new the conductors would ride between cars and operate the doors standing on little footrests. I really would've like to see that. That seems impossible to do without falling off now that I think of it.

I've crossed between cars many times with no problems. Yet in this case, there is a curve about 1/4 mile east of the Halsted station that the trains usually take at a high speed. If the man was going between cars whiie the train was going into or through the curve, I suppose he could've lost his footing via a gap that is created when cars are turning. If the cars are turning to the right in the direction of travel, the gap is created on the left between the cars, so if you miss the step while turning...

Earlier this week, an operator chastised a rider because he would change cars at each station. For instance he was in car 6 at Kedzie and got off to get into car 5 at that station. Then at Central Park, he got off of car 5 to go to car 4. She announced on the PA if he tried it again she would leave him on the platform. If a car is completely crowded and the next car over is not nearly as crowded, it is probably easier to go between cars rather than wait to get off at a station and hope you can get on another car and not get left. BTW, I've done this on Metra also, but at least on Metra there is something that will keep you from going onto the tracks.

From a short distance, I observed bus 1262 working the 90 Harlem attempt to make a right turn from North Blvd onto Marion. That is about a 105 or 110 ° turn. As I approached, he figured out he couldn't make it and decided to back up. First problem was he had to wait because cars behind.him decided to squeeze between his right and the curb going under the viaduct. A 305 bus showed and blocked traffic. Problem 2 was the driver of bus 1262 couldn't get the bus to back up. You could hear the warning beep that indicated that the bus.was in reverse, but every time he tried, the bus lurched forward, which put him closer and closer to the abutment in the middle of the street under the viaduct. I suggested to the driver to shut down the engine and restart it, hoping to reset the transmission He did but still wasn't able to get bus to back up. Finally another 90 showed and that driver shut the bus down again, waited about 30 seconds, restarted the bus and backed it up. Then the original driver got behind the wheel and drove away.

I wonder if he was one of the ,400 new hires. I would think that if he was trained on this route, he would know the turn is normally made at Forest/Home. I have only seen 2 40' buses successfully make that turn, and only one did it without having to back up. Thus when North Blvd is closed, CTA buses continue south to Washington on Harlem and.305 buses continue north on Harlem to Lake. Optima buses have made this turn as well.

... First problem was he had to wait because cars behind.him decided to squeeze between his right and the curb going under the viaduct. A 305 bus showed and blocked traffic.....

Aside from all the other technicalities, and even though buses have an R selection, I can't see how one can back a bus up, since there is no way of seeing what's behind you, given the lack of a back window (not that it would make any difference) and the back being 40 feet behind the driver.

Actually backing up with a bus is easy. Its just using your mirrors. The chief thing is to make sure no one is in directly behind the bus, which of course is a blind spot. If necessary, I would get off the bus and visually check before moving the bus.

Even when driving a car, I use the mirrors as opposed to turning my head and body back .

I sometimes wonder about these ZF transmissions and their reliability. It seems odd that you have to shut the bus down and restart it to get it into "R" because it seems like the bus is lurching forward, not backward. I've noticed this with buses in "N", both NOVA and New Flyer with the ZF transmission... it seems like many drivers have to go "D", "N", "D" just to get the bus out of Neutral. I rarely see a CTA Operator put his/her bus in "R", but I'm sure the same thing has to be done there too.

I sometimes wonder about these ZF transmissions and their reliability. It seems odd that you have to shut the bus down and restart it to get it into "R" because it seems like the bus is lurching forward, not backward. I've noticed this with buses in "N", both NOVA and New Flyer with the ZF transmission... it seems like many drivers have to go "D", "N", "D" just to get the bus out of Neutral. I rarely see a CTA Operator put his/her bus in "R", but I'm sure the same thing has to be done there too.

I remember driving an MCI 102C3 coach that would "freeze" in gear while going down the highway. In other words, it wouldn't shift to the next highest gear. This isn't good on the expressway when the coach won't go more than 40 mph. I would have to pull over, put the bus in N, shut it down and restart it. Once I put it in D and started rolling, I could do the speed limit. But that was 18 years agi.. ZF laterwhich they use in their trucks and Prevost coaches. came out with a 10 speed with a clutch, but no stick shifter. Nowadays they have the automatic 12 speed that shifts like a manual, but its computerized. Volvo also now has a similar tranny called I-Shift.

Actually backing up with a bus is easy. Its just using your mirrors. The chief thing is to make sure no one is in directly behind the bus, which of course is a blind spot. If necessary, I would get off the bus and visually check before moving the bus.

Even when driving a car, I use the mirrors as opposed to turning my head and body back .

One time on the 95E, the operator had to make a 3-point turn out of Avalon onto 93rd St cause he made a right instead of a left at Woodlawn &93rd. And that is a pretty tight spot.

This is a hoot!!!... :P:lol:

From CTA's Facebook page

Name left omitted on this forum

Thanks Bus 4462 for practically causing an accident this morning at Lawrence just inside Montrose you went right thru the stop sign causing two of us to slam on our brakes. t says STOP.
Couple of standout notes I get right away...
  • There is no Bus 4462 anymore. The 4400-Series TMC RTS buses were retired in 2008. Even if they were around, 4462 would've been assigned to North Park, not Forest Glen
  • Lawrence just inside Montrose??? That's a big area since Lawrence(4800 N.) and Montrose(4300 N.) parallel each other throughout the city basically. They don't intersect at any point.

Perhaps 1462?

I wouldn't expect a member of the general public to know the CTA roster, depending on surrounding circumstances, this is a very plausible error.

That was my speculation too, but 1462 is out of Chicago Garage. What route could use 1462 that is at Lawrence just inside Montrose as this person posted?

My thoughts on what bus this person could be referring to:

1762(NP)

4062(NP)

4162(NP)

6762(FG)

1262(FG)

The artics I posted are another possiblity, but what route could be using them that would be at Lawrence just inside Montrose?

I'm modifying this post over possibilities of buses because I realized I misread that person's post on CTA's Facebook page. They said the offending bus was spotted at Lawrence just inside of Montrose. They slightly jumbled the words but the only way the post makes sense is that they meant they were driving or walking on some unnamed north-south directed street between Montrose and Lawrence. That would mean they could have encountered a bus on the 78, 81, 81W or any north-south route that crosses either of those. That would include the 53 which is a Chicago route and makes Railwaymodeler's guess a valid one along with all the buses listed by sw. If the person was near the lakefront, then the artics sw listed would come into play because they could have been on operating on the 136, 146 or 148.

Edited by jajuan