Pulse (Milwaukee Avenue Route)

Tcmetro

Considering this project is pretty much going to happen at this point, perhaps we should have a thread for it.

I found a presentation to the American Public Transportation Assocation this August, some good info inside: http://www.apta.com/mc/multimodal/presentations/Presentations/Kellom%20PACE.pdf

Included is a map, showing ART stops at the following:

Golf Mill Mall

Milwaukee/Dempster

Milwaukee/Main

Milwaukee/Oakton

Milwaukee/Harlem-Howard

Milwaukee/Touhy

Milwaukee/Haft-Highland

Milwaukee/Austin-Ardmore

Milwaukee/Central

Jefferson Park CTA

Construction is supposed to begin next fall.

EDIT: I'd imagine with a corrosponding reduction in local 270 service, CTA may have to implement a new route from Jeff Park to the city line.

Considering this project is pretty much going to happen at this point, perhaps we should have a thread for it.

I found a presentation to the American Public Transportation Assocation this August, some good info inside: http://www.apta.com/mc/multimodal/presentations/Presentations/Kellom%20PACE.pdf

Golf Mill Mall

Milwaukee/Dempster

Milwaukee/Main

Milwaukee/Oakton

Milwaukee/Harlem-Howard

Milwaukee/Touhy

Milwaukee/Haft-Highland

Milwaukee/Austin-Ardmore

Milwaukee/Central

Jefferson Park CTA

EDIT: I'd imagine with a corrosponding reduction in local 270 service, CTA may have to implement a new route from Jeff Park to the city line.

The impression given here is that it substitutes for 270 or is 270.

The Niles Free Bus Modernization is supposed to provide the "last mile" service. However, that site doesn't indicate any progress on that restructuring in the past 6 months.

Since CTA abandoned 56A, I guess nobody is expecting more service south of Imlay (Devon-Nagle-Superdawg). If CTA has a burr in its behind about reinstating 11, it sure isn't going to reinstate 56A.

Since the slides show 2010 instead of say 6323, I think it is of an old consultant's report. Saying that CTA is also in on it also indicates it is from an old consultant's report.

Since the weekday 272 has pretty much been disconnected from 270, the only question in my mind is whether 270 will continue to Glenbrook Hospital, or they institute a short route to take care of that portion of the route.

In the graphic that appears on page 7 of the presentation, the thin blue line is supposed to represent Route 270. Note that Route 270 extends north on Milwaukee from Golf Mill. Also note that there is a thin blue line going east on Dempster from Milwaukee. There is no explanation for the line on Dempster. I hope they are not saying 270 will only run to Dempster Street.

Page 12 says headways on local Route 270 will be reduced to 30 minutes.

In the graphic that appears on page 7 of the presentation, the thin blue line is supposed to represent Route 270. Note that Route 270 extends north on Milwaukee from Golf Mill. Also note that there is a thin blue line going east on Dempster from Milwaukee. There is no explanation for the line on Dempster. I hope they are not saying 270 will only run to Dempster Street.

The north of Golf Mill is the Glenbrook Hospital trips I mentioned above (currently every third bus, or once an hour except once every half hour during rush; not on Sunday).

The east on Dempster is current Notre Dame High School tripper service.

I previously mentioned that I don't think that this slide show reflects current thinking, but I guess we might find out in a year. For instance, while the Dempster ART seems still on the drawing board, the Harlem one seems comatose.

Note also that this slide show says that Engineering and NEPA are not done. So whoever presented it does not know what the final plan will be, and was just throwing some concepts against the wall.

Golf Mill Mall

Milwaukee/Dempster

Milwaukee/Main

Milwaukee/Oakton

Milwaukee/Harlem-Howard

Milwaukee/Touhy

Milwaukee/Haft-Highland

Milwaukee/Austin-Ardmore

Milwaukee/Central

Jefferson Park CTA

Ok, essentially, this is nothing more than a BRT, correct? So, why not call it a BRT? Why call it ART? Does CTA claim copyright © to BRT or something? Do PACE and CTA have to call everything differently?

If anything, why not ABRT?

Ok, essentially, this is nothing more than a BRT, correct? So, why not call it a BRT? Why call it ART? Does CTA claim copyright © to BRT or something? Do PACE and CTA have to call everything differently?

If anything, why not ABRT?

The real problem is whether it or the Ashland project meets the definition of BRT in 49 USC 5309.

That section has been amended, and the BRT definition is now "Fixed guideway bus rapid transit project," which requires a separate right of way. CTA now claims to come within the Core Capacity project definition. Maybe Ashland would come within "Corridor-based bus rapid transit project," so maybe they can call it BRT.

Pace has stated here what its view of ART is (and calls it there Arterial Bus Rapid Transit, so you appear correct with respect to ABRT). Maybe the defining thing (besides lack of a right of way), is that it is essentially Jeffery Jump, which was redefined from BRT to "elements of BRT."

The other main difference is that Pace has CMAQ money for this project, so it doesn't have to go through 5309. There is now an article in the Tribune on how Quigley has been ineffective in getting money to Chicago and anything done about O'Hare noise.

Sounds like they want to run a local #270 and an ART one. They say on the next to last page that local #270 service headways will be 30 minutes. Why say local if they are talking about express buses? This is going to result in a bigger bus fleet, possibly a BRT styled bus, definitely with it's own branding like Jeffery Jump. Interesting that they want to do a Harlem ART, which they probably could use, but it would just about kill the #90 if it ran through it's service area. This should be interesting. I wonder if there's a possibility that the Eldorado CNG buses that were going to South might share with NW with a rebranded bus? Where else could the buses be coming from?

So what would they call it the Milwaukee Miler!! :lol:

Sounds like they want to run a local #270 and an ART one. They say on the next to last page that local #270 service headways will be 30 minutes. Why say local if they are talking about express buses? This is going to result in a bigger bus fleet, possibly a BRT styled bus, definitely with it's own branding like Jeffery Jump. Interesting that they want to do a Harlem ART, which they probably could use, but it would just about kill the #90 if it ran through it's service area. This should be interesting. I wonder if there's a possibility that the Eldorado CNG buses that were going to South might share with NW with a rebranded bus? Where else could the buses be coming from?

Like I said before, someone dug up an old consultants report for some workshop, and this slide show says the engineering hasn't been done.

Sure, this says local. Nothing published by Pace about Vision 2020 says local and express.

And while Pace has occasionally received CMAQ or JARC grants for buses (such as the Nova Classics), there certainly isn't nothing in the 2015 or 5 year capital plan about any source for a new bus fleet for this.

The application for the CMAQ grant indicated that the $9.6 million would be used for the purchase of 10 buses, real time information, and bus stop construction. TSP would be funded from an RTA grant. Pace's 2015 budget indicated they would put up $800,000 for the engineering services.

http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documents/10180/137645/TFG_FINAL_ProjectRecMemo_To_CMAQPSC_Jun202013Mtg.pdf/a58e07cd-b7db-4b68-af93-c65919ebdf0c (PDF, page 11)

I'm not really familiar with NEPA, but I can't imagine a project to add some enhanced bus shelters is going to have a lengthy process, especially on an existing major bus corridor. The renderings in the presentation I linked in the first post seem to show a standard bus shelter with a raised curb (12") for near level boarding.

I'm not sure about when Pace is going to release an RFP for the engineering services, but considering the scope of work, I doubt it is going to be a long process. Considering only 16 pairs of stops and two terminals need to be built, construction shouldn't be a long process either. Mid to late 2016 seems very plausible if all the funding is lined up.

I also saw a note in the beginning of the 2015 Pace budget that stated that the ART service will be branded as Pulse.

I also saw a note in the beginning of the 2015 Pace budget that stated that the ART service will be branded as Pulse.

Reading the President's Message..........very clever.

Note that the CMAQ document refers to current route 270 (also the Dempster one as current route 250). The Dempster one then isn't the Dempster to Golf one in the presentation. Certainly no request for Harlem.

I did mention that CMAQ has purchased buses before, so I may have been a bit hard on BusHunter there.

I still figure that anything official is going to come from Pace, similar to when they rolled out Bus On Shoulder, including have a board presentation that then went on YouTube.

On an aside, the item for posted stops explains why Pace was looking for a consultant for it, instead of just buying a bunch of signs and posts.

Yeah it definitely would not make sense to send the Notre Dame kids from Dempster on a ART bus as most would be students of Niles and stop at local stops. I still say there is going to be local and express. What would be really intelligent would be to send the through routed buses that become #272's as express #270's once they got to Golf Mill. That entire trip Hawthorn Mall to Jeff is around an hour and a half. If they didn't want to do that then they should at least have curb to curb connections between the two. (no waiting) But 10 buses wouldn't help they would need 15 at least.

Looking at the ART buses purchasing prospects, they would most likely be aiming for a bus that is not Artic but seats alot of riders like a Compobus. (Which they probably would have purchased if it was still around) For some reason maybe the Xcelsior fits that profile, but Pace has never bought New Flyer before. If Eldorado National made a BRT styled Axess bus versus a highway bus that would probably be the choice of bus. But i still think they could doctor up a CNG Axess to look like a BRT and NW is getting a CNG capable facility....

Yeah it definitely would not make sense to send the Notre Dame kids from Dempster on a ART bus as most would be students of Niles and stop at local stops. I still say there is going to be local and express. What would be really intelligent would be to send the through routed buses that become #272's as express #270's once they got to Golf Mill. That entire trip Hawthorn Mall to Jeff is around an hour and a half. If they didn't want to do that then they should at least have curb to curb connections between the two. (no waiting) But 10 buses wouldn't help they would need 15 at least.

Looking at the ART buses purchasing prospects, they would most likely be aiming for a bus that is not Artic but seats alot of riders like a Compobus. (Which they probably would have purchased if it was still around) For some reason maybe the Xcelsior fits that profile, but Pace has never bought New Flyer before. If Eldorado National made a BRT styled Axess bus versus a highway bus that would probably be the choice of bus. But i still think they could doctor up a CNG Axess to look like a BRT and NW is getting a CNG capable facility....

• There is now only one trip a weekday for which 270 and 272 are interlined. Base weekday 272 is all from North, and while some rush hour 272s are from NW, they apparently are direct from the garage to Golf Mill. All the paperwork says Jeff Park to Golf Mill, so I don't see them extending a branded service beyond that. That's why I guessed that if anything happens, the Glenbrook Hospital portion will be cut off, either as a 30 foot bus route (like 209), or maybe, given current trends, a call and ride. The call and ride would provide "last mile service" and probably take up some of the slack for discontinuing 220 north of Golf Mill, and give Pace a third chance at killing 210. The West Wheaton and Vernon Hills C&Rs may provide a pattern.
  • If they get the money for new buses earmarked for this (as opposed to wrapping some of 6392 and up), one still has to consider that they have options for up to 416 Axess buses, and 250 CNG Axess buses. As far as we know, 97 Axess buses have been received, and the stated allotment of CNGs to South is 91. The Axess Express buses show what Pace can do with the contract. Hence, there is no reason to go out to bid, and basically a 40 foot Axess has the same capacity as any other 40 foot bus, and, as you note, nobody makes a 45 foot one. If this is successful, Pace has shown in other instances that it will increase frequency (such as on 352). And the model Pace has purchased is the Axess BRT, not the flat faced one.
  • The only real question, raised before in that Pace has 159 outstanding CNG options, is what Pace intends to do with them. Maybe the new NW Garage project will come on line in time to make it CNG (at least the new building*). So, maybe you have something there.

*There were some indications in Pace minutes that they might build the new garage in phases.

• 2 weeks later...

Golf Mill Mall

Milwaukee/Dempster

Milwaukee/Main

Milwaukee/Oakton

Milwaukee/Harlem-Howard

Milwaukee/Touhy

Milwaukee/Haft-Highland

Milwaukee/Austin-Ardmore

Milwaukee/Central

Jefferson Park CTA

No duplicative CTA service will be offered. Pace will handle both local and "Pulse" routing.

Basically, the Pulse will be the high-frequency-limited-stop route. Local service at 30 minute headways will be the case on the local portions, although there are options on what to really do on the route north of the Mall (one of those options is to let 272 serve the hospital at the expense of the running time of the route, the other is alternate 270 service north of the mall).

So what would they call it the Milwaukee Miler!! :lol:

Pulse is the limited-stop route with wrapped buses and all of the neat-o fixtures. I think they only need 10 buses (including spares) for this route (give or take), so any increase of the fleet is minimal (that is, unless they get CNGs). Even if getting CNG's is the case, South is definitely getting them first.

The Niles end is undergoing a restructuring process; and as the completion date for the Pulse gets closer, the two might start at the same time. This shouldn't affect the trippers (and to be honest, ND/Maine trippers are independent of the schedule and it's runs). The 272 was disconnected with the 270 (save a run or three) because of the North restructuring (and North's 272's are interlined with 574, 565, and others). It doesn't make too much sense to re-link 270 and 272 but timed transfers would be ideal.

10-15 buses should cover it (10 being more idealistic to keep with the proposed headways).

What transit buses are even offered at 45 feet (this does not include OTRs)? Keep in mind, an Axess is designed to have defacto BRT styling (in comparison to Gillig's Low Floors with the cap).

• There is now only one trip a weekday for which 270 and 272 are interlined. Base weekday 272 is all from North, and while some rush hour 272s are from NW, they apparently are direct from the garage to Golf Mill. All the paperwork says Jeff Park to Golf Mill, so I don't see them extending a branded service beyond that. That's why I guessed that if anything happens, the Glenbrook Hospital portion will be cut off, either as a 30 foot bus route (like 209), or maybe, given current trends, a call and ride. The call and ride would provide "last mile service" and probably take up some of the slack for discontinuing 220 north of Golf Mill, and give Pace a third chance at killing 210. The West Wheaton and Vernon Hills C&Rs may provide a pattern.
  • If they get the money for new buses earmarked for this (as opposed to wrapping some of 6392 and up), one still has to consider that they have options for up to 416 Axess buses, and 250 CNG Axess buses. As far as we know, 97 Axess buses have been received, and the stated allotment of CNGs to South is 91. The Axess Express buses show what Pace can do with the contract. Hence, there is no reason to go out to bid, and basically a 40 foot Axess has the same capacity as any other 40 foot bus, and, as you note, nobody makes a 45 foot one. If this is successful, Pace has shown in other instances that it will increase frequency (such as on 352). And the model Pace has purchased is the Axess BRT, not the flat faced one.
  • The only real question, raised before in that Pace has 159 outstanding CNG options, is what Pace intends to do with them. Maybe the new NW Garage project will come on line in time to make it CNG (at least the new building*). So, maybe you have something there.

*There were some indications in Pace minutes that they might build the new garage in phases.

Couple of items, Jack:

1) That last mile part is still being worked out. Not so much a call-n-ride, but either letting 270 local service still serve that portion or give it to 272. Scenarios have been sorted out to figure out what is the most cost effective (and a CNR wouldn't be it - especially if portions from Central Av north aren't doing so well).

2) You're right about the contract - the details and assignments are still pending on what construction efforts are being decided on (heck, I'm not even sure what the news on the new NW garage stands).

Basically, the Pulse will be the high-frequency-limited-stop route. Local service at 30 minute headways will be the case on the local portions, although there are options on what to really do on the route north of the Mall (one of those options is to let 272 serve the hospital at the expense of the running time of the route, the other is alternate 270 service north of the mall).

Despite this being included in the slideshow with a lot of other stuff not carried over into the CMAQ proposal, I don't see how this would work. Essentially that would take a 10 minute interval route during the rush hour to 30, and then we are supposed to believe that people will pack the once every 30 minute bus because they are going to get off at Keeney instead of Oakton?*

I don't know if you have any inside information, but all the talk about "last mile" in Vision 2020 and how the Niles Free Bus restructuring is the Niles ART Free Bus Restructuring (and how the Niles Free Bus is the illustration of the last mile in Vision 2020) sure indicates to me that isn't what is being planned.

Finally, if anything is really close to implementation, Pace would hold workshops, like it always has before implementing a restructuring (from the North Shore and S-SW ones though the 411-413 one). Pace isn't CTA; it actually listens and changes plans based on workshop input.

*This is sort of similar to saying that local service on 352 between 95th and Harvey would be once every half hour. They did put some buses on I-57, but that didn't last long.

2) You're right about the contract - the details and assignments are still pending on what construction efforts are being decided on (heck, I'm not even sure what the news on the new NW garage stands).

The stuff in the Feb. 2014 board minutes was that they approved authority to purchase the vacant land at 750-800 East Northwest Hwy, and the agenda for the December 2014 meeting has several references to authorizing agreements for bonds, although the budget indicates that the first bonds are for the South Garage conversion.

Despite this being included in the slideshow with a lot of other stuff not carried over into the CMAQ proposal, I don't see how this would work. Essentially that would take a 10 minute interval route during the rush hour to 30, and then we are supposed to believe that people will pack the once every 30 minute bus because they are going to get off at Keeney instead of Oakton?*

I don't know if you have any inside information, but all the talk about "last mile" in Vision 2020 and how the Niles Free Bus restructuring is the Niles ART Free Bus Restructuring (and how the Niles Free Bus is the illustration of the last mile in Vision 2020) sure indicates to me that isn't what is being planned.

Finally, if anything is really close to implementation, Pace would hold workshops, like it always has before implementing a restructuring (from the North Shore and S-SW ones though the 411-413 one). Pace isn't CTA; it actually listens and changes plans based on workshop input.

*This is sort of similar to saying that local service on 352 between 95th and Harvey would be once every half hour. They did put some buses on I-57, but that didn't last long.

Well if locals ran every 30 and you add ARTs every half hour it's close to 10 minutes if you put them 15 minutes apart. The trouble with that thought is how much faster an ART bus will be. It most certainly will catch the local at Jeff. What I haven't heard is a dedicated lane for transit. It's not BRT/ART if it gets stuck in traffic and sb Milwaukee traffic can be really bad at 5 PM inbound. If a trafficlight priority transponder is the answer hopefully it can reach two blocks because at Devon for instance they back up even past Imlay.

Well if locals ran every 30 and you add ARTs every half hour it's close to 10 minutes if you put them 15 minutes apart. The trouble with that thought is how much faster an ART bus will be. It most certainly will catch the local at Jeff. What I haven't heard is a dedicated lane for transit. It's not BRT/ART if it gets stuck in traffic and sb Milwaukee traffic can be really bad at 5 PM inbound. If a trafficlight priority transponder is the answer hopefully it can reach two blocks because at Devon for instance they back up even past Imlay.

Other than your first sentence (you only have frequency of every 15 minutes on a line that has 10 minutes frequency now in rush hour), I agree with you. Milwaukee Ave. is often tied up, especially between Touhy and Oakton, and there isn't any provision for a bus lane here, just stations and signal priority. If the ART is any faster, it won't be if you have to wait 27 minutes for it.

The local stops now seem only every 1/4 mile (certainly that in Chicago,and the posted stops seem similar in Niles). So,it doesn't speed things up much to make them every 1/2 mile (especially since stops on both sides of the Dempster overpass will still be necessary).

Other than your first sentence (you only have frequency of every 15 minutes on a line that has 10 minutes frequency now in rush hour), I agree with you. Milwaukee Ave. is often tied up, especially between Touhy and Oakton, and there isn't any provision for a bus lane here, just stations and signal priority. If the ART is any faster, it won't be if you have to wait 27 minutes for it.

The local stops now seem only every 1/4 mile (certainly that in Chicago,and the posted stops seem similar in Niles). So,it doesn't speed things up much to make them every 1/2 mile (especially since stops on both sides of the Dempster overpass will still be necessary).

After I posted that I read last night under the link in the first post that they will be running ART's as close as 10 minutes apart in the rush, but the locals will run 30 minutes apart at best. So I guess their thinking is that for every half hour they gain a bus over the current levels. The big loser in this is going to be the local rider who will now have to wait the 30 minutes or ride an ART and walk.

Same conundtrum up here in Saint Paul. We're implementing the A Line on Snelling Ave, and reducing the current local 84 service. The A Line will run every 10 minutes daytime and every 15-30 minutes during evenings. The local 84 is going from 10 minute frequencies to 30 minute frequencies for those who still need it. I think that the majority of the people are going to end up switching to the A Line, and the remaining local service will be poorly patronized.

I'd imagine that a lot of people are going to switch over to the new ART service on Milwaukee, and especially during off-peak hours simply avoid the 270. If the 270 manages to be extended somewhere else or interlined with a different route that might be able to hold off the possibility of local ridership being absolutely atrocious.

After I posted that I read last night under the link in the first post that they will be running ART's as close as 10 minutes apart in the rush, but the locals will run 30 minutes apart at best. So I guess their thinking is that for every half hour they gain a bus over the current levels. The big loser in this is going to be the local rider who will now have to wait the 30 minutes or ride an ART and walk.

Or take the Free Bus, which I still think is the plan.

To get back to my point that Pace isn't CTA, I was at the board meeting where they approved the merger of 301 and 747 and the West Wheaton Call and Ride, and the board member in charge said that the only comment was that Pace was doing a good job. That's the way Pace likes it, and isn't going to get that comment if some mobility impaired rider is going to get up and complain that the express bus stop is not close enough to Jerry's.

I'd imagine that a lot of people are going to switch over to the new ART service on Milwaukee, and especially during off-peak hours simply avoid the 270. If the 270 manages to be extended somewhere else or interlined with a different route that might be able to hold off the possibility of local ridership being absolutely atrocious.

The only real issue is what they are going to do with the Glenbrook Hospital portion (I mentioned before) and I personally don't see how it benefits Pace to have a lightly patronized portion that takes 50 minutes for a round trip off the main line, and, now with 272 mostly disconnected, messes up the schedule in that the bus that leaves Golf Mill is scheduled to leave 10 minutes before the corresponding bus leaves there (i.e., a bus from Glenbrook leaves Golf Mill at 12:22, but the bus to Glenbrook leaves Golf Mill at 12:31, according to the schedule). It might have been one thing when 270 was interlined with 208, 240, 241, and 272, but they aren't now (for the most part; the 208 link was broken in 2005 when it was extended to NWTC, most of the 240 and 241 links were broken when those routes were limited to school and rush hour runs).

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously, the blogger has never been to Niles, for instance, he has the Police Station on the wrong side of the street (it is on the northwest corner). Also, one can't figure out what he means by "is constructed."

Niles had published about 10 years ago its vision for the various station locations. The thing that is surprising in the RFP is that Pace is also soliciting for stations within Chicago (Highland, Austin, and Central).

Other notable things:

• It says that a transit center is contemplated at Golf Mill, but this is not it; just an upgrade to the area where the shelters now are.
  • Notes problems with stations at Dempster, including a bad pedestrian environment that might require moving the stations to Ballard. Even the preferred location on the northbound side is a half block north of Dempster, due to the restaurant parking lot. I don't see how that accommodates passengers transferring from 250 (another proposed ART route). It still seems to me that to accommodate transfers, there would have to be stations on both sides of Dempster.
  • Oakton: Siting would aid the 2 traffic generators--Oak Mill Mall and Jerry's--not transfers to the 226 bus.
  • Howard: Although the preliminary discussion indicates that it is in Niles, page 56 indicates that the northbound station is in Chicago next to the White Castle (which is in Chicago). I sure don't see how they shoehorn one there. An alternative north of Howard is noted.
  • Jefferson Park diagram shows both ART and 270 (so maybe there's your evidence that local and ART are still contemplated). However, it swaps the sides of the terminal (taking the 68/88 bays, with 225/226 moving to the south side). Realizes that CTA plans to do some upgrades, and seems limited now to putting up ART branding on "vertical markers."

Obviously, the blogger has never been to Niles, for instance, he has the Police Station on the wrong side of the street (it is on the northwest corner). Also, one can't figure out what he means by "is constructed."

Niles had published about 10 years ago its vision for the various station locations. The thing that is surprising in the RFP is that Pace is also soliciting for stations within Chicago (Highland, Austin, and Central).

Other notable things:

• It says that a transit center is contemplated at Golf Mill, but this is not it; just an upgrade to the area where the shelters now are.
  • Notes problems with stations at Dempster, including a bad pedestrian environment that might require moving the stations to Ballard. Even the preferred location on the northbound side is a half block north of Dempster, due to the restaurant parking lot. I don't see how that accommodates passengers transferring from 250 (another proposed ART route). It still seems to me that to accommodate transfers, there would have to be stations on both sides of Dempster.
  • Oakton: Siting would aid the 2 traffic generators--Oak Mill Mall and Jerry's--not transfers to the 226 bus.
  • Howard: Although the preliminary discussion indicates that it is in Niles, page 56 indicates that the northbound station is in Chicago next to the White Castle (which is in Chicago). I sure don't see how they shoehorn one there. An alternative north of Howard is noted.
  • Jefferson Park diagram shows both ART and 270 (so maybe there's your evidence that local and ART are still contemplated). However, it swaps the sides of the terminal (taking the 68/88 bays, with 225/226 moving to the south side). Realizes that CTA plans to do some upgrades, and seems limited now to putting up ART branding on "vertical markers."

That's going to be a bummer if they move #225, #226 to the south terminal. Alot of riders will wait for both either the #85A or #226 to see what comes first and ride that. Putting them at opposite terminals is going to oppose that. I would say just put #270/#270 ART in the #81W and #91 bay, but they might be going for the longer terminal which is the north which has more space. But then again it is a CTA terminal in the city limits, so I don't see how Pace has a say. I would think it would need CTA approval.

....But then again it is a CTA terminal in the city limits, so I don't see how Pace has a say. I would think it would need CTA approval.

The requisition made that clear. Similarly, they made clear that approval of the owners of the other rights of way (IDOT, CDOT, Golf Mill Shopping Center) was needed, and that Pace may need to use JCDecaux shelters inside Chicago. You'll remember that I said it was bad planning when they were removed just because 56A was canceled.

Let's also remember that this was a solicitation for architectural services, not construction. I only cited that map when backing down on whether a 270 local was still indicated.