Tcmetro

Pulse (Milwaukee Avenue Route)

On 8/21/2019 at 4:36 PM, strictures said:

Road diets in Chicago never work as advertised.   Chicago's traffic engineers are totally incompetent.  Maybe 15-20 years ago, the Trib had a long article & interview with a Chicago traffic engineer.  The following is an exact quote from that article that I've never forgotten: "We don't believe in left turns, we want traffic to go straight"!  As an example of that, numerous intersections in the city still don't have left turn arrows, despite the fact that there are left turn lanes.  One of the worst of these intersections is Logan & Elston.  Most WB cars on Logan want to turn left onto Elston for all the shopping there, but must wait out several red lights, due to the lack of a left turn arrow!

Several years ago, Skokie planned a road diet for Oakton, from Skokie Blvd., west to past the library.  Being far more intelligent than Chicago's numbskulls, they tested it out first with cones & jersey blocks.  They cancelled it within two weeks!

While the E-W streets on the north side are ALL narrow and congested like crazy, one benefit is the substantial increase in ridership on the north side Red , Blue, and Brown Lines.  Those branches have the top three rail ridership numbers.

It seems to me that the current 1/2 mile intervals for the in city Pace routes work well enough.  What is the stop interval for Pulse Milwaukee and what will be the intervals for Pulse on Dempster, 95th, and Halsted?  In regards to Halsted,  whatever advantages skip stop services bring get offset by stop signs at some side streets.   It seems like Chicago is more interested in slowing traffic instead of flowing traffic. 

Was checking out Pulse today. The buses are cool all the destination signs display color Pulse signs. Was looking at the shelters they look nice each has there own theme on the windows shelters are heated. Each stop displays destination times for the next bus. At golf mill that can really come in handy. I like what they've done so far. Just doesnt seem to be too   20190902_095949.thumb.jpg.94e50a7605befff68769540126d3eb12.jpgmany 270's anymore.  20190902_100023.thumb.jpg.d2baab2866879b57879b29b7cf14e657.jpg20190902_102741.thumb.jpg.e3b39249fbe616b49955e5d7466ac71d.jpg

20190902_102338.thumb.jpg.de93dd216be533488d8a951646d285b0.jpg20190902_110338.thumb.jpg.f674700f76dc1b70b14ab2dab7ea30d7.jpg

20190902_101105.jpg

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Kind of weird if you read the Pulse page on the pace website they talk about zero emissions buses for Pulse. With what cngs? 

Can you provide a link to where it says that?

cng or electric?  wheeling is supposed to be CNG so milwaukee and dempster will be CNG.  Halsted should be CNG from south.  Maybe 95th will be electric from SW as they interface with CTA stations which are going electric.

6 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Can you provide a link to where it says that?

I looked for it cant seem to find it. When I was reading it I was like really!!! Pulse does seem to be a really big bus network. They do want to expand Milwaukee first to highway 68 which I guess is dundee rd. Then as far north as highway 120 in lake county. Might as well go to great america/gurnee mills. Seems dumb to see them in the distance and not go there. Plus you could connect to a host of Waukegan service. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Then as far north as highway 120 in lake county. Might as well go to great america/gurnee mills. Seems dumb to see them in the distance and not go there. Plus you could connect to a host of Waukegan service. 

So far they have only identified general corridors, not specific termini. There’s no reason to believe the routes wouldn’t go there. As those are listed as long-range plans, we probably won’t find out for a few decades, if ever.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:43 AM, trainman8119 said:

As far as I am concerned, it is a terrible money wasting idea. Pace has been on this band wagon for 20+ years.

You watch, just like the CTA x routes, these buses will be empty or close to it. Once again, the bread and butter

riders get the shaft. This is one type of reason I left Pace many many years ago now...and the new ED fits the mold

so well ☹️ 

Rocky Donohue was so against taking care of the little guy or the grandma who needed to go shopping

or something. He was more into smoozing politicians. I see that nothing has really changed.

I really disliked it when he became my supervisor.

So speeding up service for your passengers you have left is a bad idea?  Doesn't sound very smart for transit agencies trying to survive the challenges of increased auto traffic making bus traffic slower and therefore discretionary passengers go elsewhere. And that's before even getting into the challenges of rideshare services eating into that along what used to be attractive corridors for transit (i.e CTA's recent attempt to reintroduce #11 bus service south of the Western Brown Line being a dismal failure). The main issue it seems, is that transit agencies have to monitor these services when introduced and make tweaks as needed based on ridership patterns. And let's be completely honest here. CTA's X express routes weren't cut for low ridership reasons across the board. The ridership was actually there for many of them actually with the X20 being the one real low performer that stood out. And that was because CTA made the dumb decision to make the route do local stops west of Central Park along the portion that operated on Madison. It wasn't much of an express at that point since it already had local stop only zone in the downtown portion. But back to my point, CTA's X routes got cut because CTA was strapped for cash and was trying to go for a service cut option that wouldn't be a hard hit from the passenger point of view. That would be seen by many who follow transit in the media, along with us transit advocates and enthusiasts, as part of the contributing factors into why CTA bus service became slower and lost customers because of it. 

On 8/15/2019 at 8:15 PM, trainman8119 said:

politics

Granted in that it could be argued that former Mayor Emanuel may have been trying to lure in southside votes had he decided to go for a third term, but that's still too easy a dismissal without attempting to look at all the facts since. As pointed out, the X9 and X49 were not hurting for passengers when they got cut in 2010, and they are not hurting for passengers now, three months shy of completing four years after being resurrected. I happen to use both routes for work commute options, and in this almost four years I've observed how the numbers of riders opting for the express over the local continually increase especially when they discover and realize that the express stops at their intersecting rail and bus routes to which they transfer. In regards to the relation between the Milwaukee Pulse Line and local 270, wasn't the local 270 bus service north of Golf Mill already limited due to the fact that the 272 extended further south to start at Golf Mill at its southernmost terminus? It seems the larger reduction effect to local service is that between Golf Mill and Jefferson Park. 

• Upvote 1