Jump to content
Tcmetro

Pulse (Milwaukee Avenue Route)

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, MetroShadow said:

Having worked there myself (different unit), from the planning/analysis side (and having taken 270 a lot), I was often frustrated with the concept that the local was slower. Not everyone is going to take the route from stop to stop; and if there's ridership between the transfer points, then great. Bus speeds are important too. The existing 270 is slow because of congestion and that lower bus speeds costs money (say $78/operating hour). The more time you spend on the road, the more it costs to operate (and those numbers add up). Remember that we can only go as fast as the idiot in front of you.

The rapid/local hybrid with 10/30 overlay makes sense if your destination is a transfer point or the end of the lines. Local riders, less so. Take for example when I worked at Samtrans briefly. The ECR route (evolved from a 390/391 clusterfunk) is a 2.5 hour jaunt (3.0 hours plus in peak) running time one-way. Yes, that's a core route (several attempts to break that up, even after I left) where it is the spine of the network. The Rapid was put in place (Daly City BART to Redwood City TC/ Caltrain) to speed up trips between the two (it's faster even without TSP - and don't get me started on that). Now, the Rapid overlay is different (20 minutes peak/30 weekends) compared to Local (15 minutes all day/20 weekends). Maybe that could be the guidepost for future service (VTA 22/522 and 23/523) has similar overlays to 270/Pulse M.

And I always thought that Pace was the bastard stepchild for the RTA compared to the other agencies. For us to do more, great, but also not at the risk of losing more riders.

So in your opinion, what would the ideal frequency before each service?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

So in your opinion, what would the ideal frequency before each service?

10 (Pulse)/30 (Local)

Edited by MetroShadow
I didn’t look at the schedule close enough.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the stops are quite far from each other. I tend to believe that a 1/3-1/4 stop distance is reasonable. 

The problem here is that CTA needs to reintroduce the 56A for city riders. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Some of the stops are quite far from each other. I tend to believe that a 1/3-1/4 stop distance is reasonable. 

The problem here is that CTA needs to reintroduce the 56A for city riders. 

Why have 56A, 270 & Pulse all on the same route?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, it goes back to the stops. Pulse means local service on Milwaukee is dropping to 60 mins. CTA originally cut the 56A because the 270 had decent service levels. 

Now in-city riders will have to contend with low service levels or 1-mile stop spacing. While I don't expect CTA to bring the 56A back, a coordinated schedule with the 270 (similar to the 63A/386 coordination) would at least allow for adequate local service. 

North of Touhy the impact is not as bad because Pulse stops are approximately every 1/2 mile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, west towns said:

or increase 270 to 30 min in rush hour

That's what I said  earlier.  I think with enough complaints, that will eventually become a reality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 7:43 AM, trainman8119 said:

As far as I am concerned, it is a terrible money wasting idea. Pace has been on this band wagon for 20+ years.

You watch, just like the CTA x routes, these buses will be empty or close to it. Once again, the bread and butter

riders get the shaft. This is one type of reason I left Pace many many years ago now...and the new ED fits the mold

so well ☹️ 

 

Rocky Donohue was so against taking care of the little guy or the grandma who needed to go shopping

or something. He was more into smoozing politicians. I see that nothing has really changed.

I really disliked it when he became my supervisor.

what service should pace operate? only paratransit and not fixed route?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the feeling Pace hates having to paint buses. I remember when they wrapped buses in the new scheme instead of sending them for painting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I get the feeling Pace hates having to paint buses. I remember when they wrapped buses in the new scheme instead of sending them for painting

Cheaper. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, west towns said:

what service should pace operate? only paratransit and not fixed route?

Yes, by all means fixed route. But this Pulse stuff goes away from the fixed route concept and creates a whole

new animal. To the average rider, this is a service CUT not an improvement. To the joe on the road or the

intersecting bus routes, it creates the possibility of more traffic gridlock. And for an agency with supposed money

troubles, you have this desire for these grand service stops instead of a bus stop on a corner and have to have specialty

looking buses for the service...again more cost, at least at the start. Pace has gotten away from your standard fixed routes

in the past with subscription service, corporate (ie. UPS) funded routes and express movement only via highway (with special lanes

and specially designed buses...again more cost put out in other ways). Am I a fan, NO, and if I was a 270 rider stuck in the middle,

I probably wouldn't be any more.

 

And by the way....has anyone ridden on one of those 6500 Pulse buses? They are the darkest, most depressing bus I have 

ever been on. Aside from great a/c they aren't the most comfortable bus to ride on (although better than the newer Novas CTA has)

and they rattle an awful lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

Yes, by all means fixed route. But this Pulse stuff goes away from the fixed route concept and creates a whole

new animal. To the average rider, this is a service CUT not an improvement. To the joe on the road or the

intersecting bus routes, it creates the possibility of more traffic gridlock. And for an agency with supposed money

troubles, you have this desire for these grand service stops instead of a bus stop on a corner and have to have specialty

looking buses for the service...again more cost, at least at the start. Pace has gotten away from your standard fixed routes

in the past with subscription service, corporate (ie. UPS) funded routes and express movement only via highway (with special lanes

and specially designed buses...again more cost put out in other ways). Am I a fan, NO, and if I was a 270 rider stuck in the middle,

I probably wouldn't be any more.

 

And by the way....has anyone ridden on one of those 6500 Pulse buses? They are the darkest, most depressing bus I have 

ever been on. Aside from great a/c they aren't the most comfortable bus to ride on (although better than the newer Novas CTA has)

and they rattle an awful lot

No different than any other Eldorado Axxess bus in Pace's fleet.   If not for the horrendous suspensions and now failing a/cs, the NABIs would be my absolute preference.  The Axxess has a quirer engine and better suspension,  butthe engine struggles at high speeds with a lot of outside air and road noise and uncomfortable seating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 7:43 AM, trainman8119 said:

As far as I am concerned, it is a terrible money wasting idea. Pace has been on this band wagon for 20+ years.

You watch, just like the CTA x routes, these buses will be empty or close to it. Once again, the bread and butter

riders get the shaft. This is one type of reason I left Pace many many years ago now...and the new ED fits the mold

so well ☹️ 

 

Rocky Donohue was so against taking care of the little guy or the grandma who needed to go shopping

or something. He was more into smoozing politicians. I see that nothing has really changed.

I really disliked it when he became my supervisor.

what service should pace operate? only paratransit and not fixed route?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like the Pulse buses been on them going to cubs game the response from others who were much younger  was 'fun' so maybe this is the new market of transit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, trainman8119 said:

As far as I am concerned, it is a terrible money wasting idea. Pace has been on this band wagon for 20+ years. You watch, just like the CTA x routes, these buses will be empty or close to it. Once again, the bread and butter riders get the shaft. This is one type of reason I left Pace many many years ago now...and the new ED fits the mold so well

The CTA "X" routes that were popular enough that 2 were brought back and many more still want to return (I know I'd kill for X3, X4 to come back)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, west towns said:

opens sunday aug 11th.   anyone going to be out there?  has anyone heard if Pace is having events on Sunday?

Ima be out if you wanna meet up shoot me a dm on here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2019 at 6:27 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

The CTA "X" routes that were popular enough that 2 were brought back and many more still want to return (I know I'd kill for X3, X4 to come back)

If they bring back the X4, then it needs to stop at 58th St, not 59th, which is where it did.  58th is where all of the U of Chicago's Hospitals & clinics are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...